Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Native American Ritual
04-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Native American Ritual
I got to take part in a Native American ritual tonight. It was pretty cool. The woman who preformed it was my friends wife and she is descended from Cherokee blood and i guess the term would be Shaman. We stood in a circle and she did something called "smudging" and burned sage, prayed to the great spirits, uttered a few prayers. She did it tonight due to the full moon. there were drums, a flute it was great. and i heard a startling revalation, my spirit guardian or whatever, is a Raven, hence the pic change. Neat. she said something about having 9 from the day you were born: 2 that follow you always, and 7 that change depending on how you need them.

When i wake up everything will be all right...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
RE: Native American Ritual
That does sound cool!
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I don't know if it would be considered shaman work, because shamans deal in the realm of dreams. However the ritual does sound interesting. I'd be interested in learning whether or not you notice ravens around you more now.
04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
What a cool experience! I would really like to take part in something like that myself one day.
04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
we did another tonight, last night was healing and tonight was for our hopes and dreams. we blessed a sunflower seed which we will be planting in their backyard tommorrow.

04-10-2009, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2009 02:49 AM by Pacal.)
That sounds fun and interesting! I have tried smudging myself, and in an enclosed area i defintiely beleive it could alter the atmosphere once it has permeated everything, and remove negative energies, and/or encourage positive ones.

You say a Raven is one of your main guides, what is the other one?

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. Mahatma Gandhi

"As private parts to the gods are we, they play with us for their sport." Melchett
04-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Some paranormal teams use smudging and burn sage after an investigation to make sure they are not bringing anything home. It was done once in my car and I was worried I would get pulled over and the cop would smell it and pull me out of the vehicle.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
04-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah that would look a bit suspicous, having billowing smoke coming out of the windows!

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. Mahatma Gandhi

"As private parts to the gods are we, they play with us for their sport." Melchett
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
yeah, would look wierd. At least you didn't get pulled over and had to explain why your car was full of smoke.

Anyways dyingenglish, its always good and fun to learn about someone else's culture, even if it is a samll part of it.

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett
04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
(04-10-2009 02:45 AM)Pacal Wrote:  That sounds fun and interesting! I have tried smudging myself, and in an enclosed area i defintiely beleive it could alter the atmosphere once it has permeated everything, and remove negative energies, and/or encourage positive ones.

You say a Raven is one of your main guides, what is the other one?

dunno. im going over there tonight and she said she'll answer more questions in greater detail.