Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The LaLaurie House (graphic!)
03-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Exclamation The LaLaurie House (graphic!)
In the middle of the French Quarter in New Orleans sits a rather large, yet unassuming house. For all the dull grey colouring on the outside, the house has a very dark history. It is allegedly the most haunted house in New Orleans, yet no one has ever been allowed to investigate because the current owner (Nicholas Cage) forbids visitors, despite not wanting to even spend the night there himself. What Mr Cage cannot hide, though, his the story behind the house.

The year is 1831. Dr and Mrs Louis LaLaurie have been married for six years when they purchase the mansion situated at 1140 Royal Street. The couple is prominent in the social circles of the day; Delphine throws lavish parties where she invites some of the most prominent people in the city.

Two years later, a different picture of Delphine emerges after several neighbours witness her whipping a servant girl in the mansion's courtyard. The reason? The young girl, probably no more than 12 or 13, was brushing her mistress' hair and hit a knot which infuriated Delphine. The child ran to escape Delphine's wrath and "fell" over the balcony to her death. The neighbours complained as there was a law in effect in the city which prohibited the cruel treatment of slaves, but all legal matters were addressed by Judge Jean Francois Canonge, a friend of the LaLauries. All of their slaves were confiscated, but other friends of theirs bought the slaves and returned them to the LaLauries.

In 1834, the most graphic scene would unfold one night during one of the famous parties given by Delphine. As is custom with the houses of the day, the kitchen was set apart from the main house. The night of the party, firemen are called to the home to put out a fire begun in the kitchen. When the firemen arrived, they found two slaves chained to the stoves; the fire apparently begun by them to attract attention. The fire managed to spread to the house and when the firemen went into the house, they were met with the most unimaginable horrors.

Quote:According to the newspaper, the New Orleans Bee, all of the victims were naked and the ones not on tables were chained to the wall. Some of the women had their stomachs sliced open and their insides wrapped about their waists. One woman had her mouth stuffed with animal excrement and then her lips were sewn shut.

The men were in even more horrible states. Fingernails had been ripped off, eyes poked out, and private parts sliced away. One man hung in shackles with a stick protruding from a hole that had been drilled in the top of his head. It had been used to “stir” his brains.

The tortures had been administered so as to not bring quick death. Mouths had been pinned shut and hands had been sewn to various parts of the body. Regardless, many of them had been dead for quite some time. Others were unconscious and some cried in pain, begging to be killed and put out of their misery.

Tales of the horrors that had been encountered within the house quickly spread and the enraged citizens gathered outside the home ready to mete out justice themselves. While it is said that Madame LaLaurie was the instigator of the tortures done to the slaves, it is certain that her husband knew and turned a blind eye.

Unfortunately, the LaLauries were never brought to justice. They fled that very night and were never seen again.

----

Details provided by Prairie Ghosts
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
RE: The LaLaurie House (graphic!)
Unholy moly!!

I wonder if the lady was always like that or only turned that way from living in the house?
Find all posts by this user
03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
From what I understand, she was always like that. The doctor was her third marriage and there has been speculation that she might've been behind the deaths of her first two husbands.
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009 04:19 PM by jadewik.)
Louisiana is on my list of places to visit.

... I've heard about the LaLaurie house. I didn't know it was owned by Nicholas Cage. If it is, it's not directly owned by him, he has it under-wraps...

I looked up the assessors records.
1140 Royal Street- Assessor Record
More Property Info

The house is apparently worth $3.5M. Wow!

It's also fun to use Google Maps and go to the street view.... It's almost better than a photograph! (The house is on the S corner of Royal Street and Governor Nicholls Street)
04-01-2009, 07:02 AM
He owns Hancock Park. He and his family apparently will go in the house during the day, but never at night. Supposedly, he knew it was haunted when he bought it, but didn't know exactly how haunted until he noticed ghost tour groups collecting outside the house at night.

Older photographs of the house show it was once a cream colour which seems a lot nicer than the drab grey.
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I must say that must of been a hard time for the slaves... I am sure that it was not the first time it had happened. Thank you for your story. I am new to the site and I do have an interest in the afterlife and it is a great learning tool.
06-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello Skatha, and I hope you're still out there. I have been looking over some of the stories in the forum that I hadn't been able to read yet. This was amazing. I heard about the house when my mother went on vacation, and she also mentioned it was Nicholas Cage who owned it. I am a big fan of the prarieghosts website, and this story was just horrific. You would have to expect there to be paranormal activity in a place where such massive amounts of negative energy got stuck.
I am hoping you will post more stories like this, and I hope everyone talked you out of quitting the forum. I just got here a week or so ago and I can't get enough of the different stories and points of view. Hope to hear from you soon.Classic Smile

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow, what a horrific story! It would be very difficult to imagine a house with that sort of history not being haunted. It makes you wonder - what could it be about a human being that would make them even think about doing such horrible acts against other people (or any living thing for that matter)! Sorry to say but someone like that would absolutely deserve the torment of an everlasting Hell.

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I concur what scarygirl said. It is the first time I have heard about this house. I wonder what kind of brain can come up with such torture. I could not think of it must less carried it out.

I too, am backtracking older topics trying to catch up on all the great stories on here.

Characters Environments
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. (Chinese Proverb)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh hell, that is too gruesome. I've never heard of that house either, I wonder what Nicholas Cage wants with it.

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  LaLaurie Mansion Chats With The Dead 6 8,017 09-06-2011 03:34 PM
Last Post: super.fantastik