Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 year study finds ghosts don't exist
In a study of paranormal activity its found other explanations always are found.
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/...cal-reason
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
And finding some of those explanations can save a person's life, especially in the case of leaking chemicals or gasses.

You know me...I haven't let go of the belief that spirits communicate with the living. But ignoring that a good majority of cases can be explained in these ways brought up in the article is not going to get us any closer to the truth.

I have seen people get upset when other explanations are suggested. However, these are very real explanations for very real problems...some of which are more dangerous than any ghost ever could be.

"Barney and Andy were lawmen...the greatest you ever did see..."....(sorry, couldn't resist...and I LOVED that episode with the haunted house!!)
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Now I will add this is the reason why out of 100 investigations we might get something unknown at less then 3% of them. I do agree people need to take notice of these causes especially the ones that can effect your health.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Interesting, Ugly N Rude. Thanks for sharing that link.

Whilst I am a hardened believer in the spirit world after what I saw/experienced, I know there is often a variety of logical reasons behind certain experiences.
I find this study interesting, in that it specifically states that ghosts don't exist at all. I do agree with investigating and always looking for the explainable causes of activity. The fact is though there are times when there are no reasonable or logical explanations.

I would have to say that UNR's 3 out of 100 likely do not turn up an environmental or physiological cause for a paranormal experience, and therfore be considered unexplained and possible paranormal activity. I am as well aware that out of 100 reports or claims of activity most can be written off before the property investigation or research even begins. Many times the right questionairre and afidavit prior to investigating can unearth the problem either medically or mentally.

Only roughly 10% of claims actually even get to the point of an investigation. Or should I say should get to the point of an investigation. There are too many teams out there that really should learn to better screen their reports and claims. Not every reported experience should be investigated...but when the teams are looking to better their own reputations or throw their own short sided statistics they won't turn down a case even when the claimant may be alcoholic, on medications, having marital problems or experiencing hormonal changes. There are so many factors that can make one think they are experiencing a ghost.

Again, I am a believer...but not because I just had an experience. I did my homework. I looked for other factors and explanations first. I will say though, that this study...the topic of this thread is like most statistics you run across...they are slighted according to the beliefs of the author/researcher (the article in question, not the OP). The statistics only prove that statistics don't really prove a thing in the end.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Feel free to tell me what you need and I will tell you how to get by without it. ~Mom

For the believer, both the evidence of science and the failure of science to explain the paranormal is all the proof they need. For the skeptic, no evidence no matter how scientific will ever be proof enough. ~John Zaffis
im a believer because of my experiences in my life.... but i am opemly aware that some things can explain some exeperiences and play games with your head. thanks for the share UNR Smile
let those who dont understand me fear me
let those who do fear themselvesMrteeth
While I often believe there are many natural and physiological reasons, some of a severe health nature, to completely discount and explain many purported occurrences, in my mind there are still things that cannot be explained. I understand it's the opinion of Joe Nickell that none exist.. because he hasn't experienced it... but to say "always" is the same as "never" in this case ... and rarely is anything always or never ...and precludes reality.... JMO *smiles*
The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.

- Kahlil Gibran
(08-27-2010, 01:28 PM)Lady Kamae Wrote: The statistics only prove that statistics don't really prove a thing in the end.

Or as my uncle used to say..."statistics are like a bikini...they show a lot, but they cover up the important stuff". (actually I think someone else originated that...but I never forgot those words!)

Not everything fits in a nice, neat box, that's for sure..and that's what keeps me looking further.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

I know things can be explained but I am still a believer in the paranormal too much has happened to me during my life. It is also known when you are a nonbeliever you are closed to the paranormal and usually they never experience the paranormal... until they die and then they get all their answers they have been looking for!Icontexto-emoticons-06-032x032
(08-27-2010, 11:44 PM)scarygirl67 Wrote:
(08-27-2010, 01:28 PM)Lady Kamae Wrote: The statistics only prove that statistics don't really prove a thing in the end.

Or as my uncle used to say..."statistics are like a bikini...they show a lot, but they cover up the important stuff". (actually I think someone else originated that...but I never forgot those words!)

Not everything fits in a nice, neat box, that's for sure..and that's what keeps me looking further.

LOL SG... I like your Uncle's quote!
Theres simply no way to logically eliminate the possibility completely. There is no way to prove that every investigation ever comes up with non-paranormal explanations. And to address the actual article;

In seriously researching the paranormal, there are patterns and trends - undeniable similarities in accounts of experiences to be found all over the world, in completely dissimilar cultures, through out time, and even before much intercontinental communication was taking place. All coincidence? One theory is that it can all be explained away with psychology - universal archetypes in the human mind, and parasomnia disorders playing on manifestations of our base fears. These are hardly just strange isolated incidents, such as a schizophrenic's fantasy, when there are so many similarities. Science has at least put enough stock into it, to search for an explanation in the human mind. But, what if its not just, for example, a psychological manifestation caused by a half-sleeping/half-waking state?

It's not like paranormal researchers just consider any random fantasy or hallucination as possible evidence of something real. Of course I wouldn't expect many people to realize this, as they don't know anything about paranormal research to begin with. It's also hard to get started in it, because cutting through bs is hard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do ghosts exist? If not, why do we see them? UglyNRude 16 349 01-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: KaelisRa
  Question: Is science open to proving ghosts exist? magicdavidpa 6 6,598 09-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Last Post: jonathan livingstone seagull