Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spider meanings?
Anyone know about a spider's spiritual or paranormal meaning? I do remember reading somewhere that a spider is a god? in some traditions.

The reason I ask is because I occasionally get these random images in my head, and they usually turn out to be of some signifigance to my life. Last night I had a flash image in my head of a black and white striped spider.

Any ideas?

Stacey
"If at first you don't succeed...re-define success"

"It's not how many years of experience you have...it's how much experience are in the years."

"If in doubt...google!" - SweetyStacey

"Love will find a way..." - The Lion King 2

**works very hard to get Peter Townsend's "Boris the Spider" song out of her head....**

I know there is a legend of Lakota origin that speaks of the spider being a teacher of wisdom. The web itself is thought to be the inspiration for dream catchers...the weblike circles that are designed and placed above someone's bed to catch dreams (or allow the negative dreams to pass through).

Running at least five minutes behind at the moment, but I will look more into this..and hopefully you'll get some more answers as well. Great topic!
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Lol that song will be in your head all night now. Sorry! People do that to me all the time.

I'm not too happy with spiders having some positive meaning, they're the worst creature ever to me...I have a severe phobia of them, I can't even pick up a book with a picture on the cover.

Stacey

"It's not how many years of experience you have...it's how much experience are in the years."

I think the prophet Isaiah in the Christian bible would agree with you! He made references to spiders in the Book of Isaiah that indicated spiders were vile creatures and compared them to humans who weave webs of deceit.

"They hatch viper's eggs and weave spider's webs. Whoever eats their eggs will die; crack one open, and a viper is hatched." Isaiah 59:5. In this verse, he was speaking of those who do evil and practice deceit.

So I think this is definitely something that depends on your own perception of it.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

(07-18-2010, 04:11 PM)scarygirl67 Wrote: I know there is a legend of Lakota origin that speaks of the spider being a teacher of wisdom. The web itself is thought to be the inspiration for dream catchers...the weblike circles that are designed and placed above someone's bed to catch dreams (or allow the negative dreams to pass through).

I was going to bring this up as well.

I'm torn on how I feel about spiders personally. On the one hand, I see them as good, as they kill all the other nasty insects that actually do harm to stuff. Moths that eat sweaters, bugs in gardens. Also, some beliefs are that spiders in your home are good luck.

But, on the other hand, they are just creepy. Yuck.
Well i'm glad the bible agrees lol.

I think they are amazing creatures to be able to build such intricate homes. But still the way they move so fast or so slow. I was working in a vets and there was a huge spider in the corner of the theatre and I was standing there screaming "Kill it kill it!" a supposed vet nurse telling someone to kill an animal...

FYI i'm feeling itchy, talking about this!

Stacey

(07-18-2010, 05:24 PM)SweetyStacey Wrote: Well i'm glad the bible agrees lol.

I think they are amazing creatures to be able to build such intricate homes. But still the way they move so fast or so slow. I was working in a vets and there was a huge spider in the corner of the theatre and I was standing there screaming "Kill it kill it!" a supposed vet nurse telling someone to kill an animal...

FYI i'm feeling itchy, talking about this!

Stacey

Don't i know that feeling? In Austria there are not really big spiders but twice i had a huge black one with hairy legs, i'm talking Tarantula-like here, and i was standing for 4 hours watching it and screaming and praying for my parents to return to throw it out. But as much as i'm disgusted by them i can't leave a pet shop without looking at the terrariums with the tarantulas in them, i could stare at them for hours, and even love watching documentaries about them, the bigger the better for me. i really can't understand how that fits together, my terror and screaming when i see one in my flat and my fascination when they are behind safety glass.
Anyway, i once watched some programm on tv where someone said that Sigmund Freud believed that fear of spiders means fear of sexuality, but i could never find the truth, what a pity cause i could prove him wrong*g*
I can't recall which tradition it is, but the Spder is a symbol of the Holy Mother. Along with the number 8. Also Serpents.
There is a Zodiac sign of Arachnea, for 2 weeks in November. Because is is so short, astrologers ignore it.
On 12/21/12, the sun goes into the center of the Milkyway. That center is Serpentarius.
I was looking up different spider myths and came across this one I didn't know, pretty interesting.

Anansi (pronunciation Ah-nahn-see) the trickster is one of the most important characters of West African and Caribbean folklore. He is also known as Ananse, Kwaku Ananse, and Anancy; and in the Southern United States he has evolved into Aunt Nancy. He is a spider, but often acts and appears as a man. The story of Anansi is akin to the Coyote or Raven trickster found in many Native American cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi
I believe that any symbol, such as a spider, can mean many different things. For example I like spiders and am not afraid of them and so they would not symbolize the same for me as they would for someone who was terrified of them.

I recently finished reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman which was based upon a lot of the old Anansi stories and legends.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers