Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRUE PAGANISM
TRUE PAGANISM

If we look at the world around us and the wonders of nature, we are all at some point in awe of how this became a reality. We often stroll amongst the flowers and trees, luxuriating in the fragrant aromas which we are blessed to be a part of. Whether we choose to believe that God created this or God's of nature, is our right as an individual.

True Paganism is an earth based religion, where respect for and living by the laws of mother nature are a fundamental concept of these peace loving people, who respect the right of others to choose their own religion. They do not promote sadistic, bloodthirsty agendas to control or manipulate people, they respect all life forms.

True Paganists live by the rule of three, 'anything you do will come back to you threefold.' Similar to the karmic principle.

True Paganists do not sacrifice animals, this would be a total contradiction of their belief system to protect and nurture the earth and all who roam it. There is also a powerful element to their faith which deserves great respect...true Paganists are always striving to put an end to animal cruelty, which is often acted upon and not just hoped for.

Unfortunately, like most religions there are untrue followers of each faith. An untrue Paganist wrongly believes that casting harmful spells against others and throwing out curses to people who do them wrong is the true art of Paganism.

At this stage it must be pointed out that in no way is an 'untrue' Paganist considered a 'Satanist', since a Satanist has to believe in Christ...Satan being the opposite of Christ and the fallen angel of God. A true or even untrue Paganist does not even belive in Satan or hell.

To conclude:

The opposite of a Christian, or Catholic, is a Satanist.

The opposite of a Paganist, is the black arts, or black witchcraft.

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
Sorry to butt in here, but the Threefold Law is a Wiccan thing, and Wicca is the organised religion aspect of paganism. If you join a coven and perform rituals together, that's wiccan. Not all pagans are wiccan. Paganism is not a religion at all, but a spiritual path each of us follows. It may take varying forms, depending on the individual. Pagan is the umbrella term under which many different earth-based "religions" and spiritual paths fall under. These include Wicca, witchcraft, shamanism, Native American beliefs, Druidism and many others.
Religion is the belief in a superhuman power, especially belief in a personal God or Gods.

You might view this differently Scathach, as i am not a pagan, but that is what it says in the dictionary. However you wish to look at it is fine by me.

I posted this mainly because I wanted people to realise that paganism isn't a bad thing.

The threefold law is also a pagan belief, I have looked into this, but again, it isn't what this article is about. I also know someone who is a pagan and made a point of checking this article with them as well as doing the research. Again, different people have different views within their belief system. Some pagans believe it is OK to cast harmfull spells, but others who are true pagans are peace loving.

I won't be back online for a day or so!

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
Of course there are differing beliefs in paganism just as there are in Christianity. It's just a shame that you had to make a point of posting this thread to begin with.
Why is it a shame? alot of people are unsure of what Paganism is about.

But just as many are quite sure they know and their view is nothing like what you've stated it is.
I disagree that paganism is an earth based religion. In fact I disagree that it is a religion.

Some pagans are religious but not all and probably a very low percentage of them are religious at all.

Historically speaking a pagan was nothing more than a country person. There was no organization and there were many differences. Sometime during the first century AD (not sure of the exact time period) the Catholic church started labeling anyone who was not a catholic a pagan and 'teaching' that they were devil worshippers, witches etc.

By the way - In my opinion Wicca is not really an appropriate section for a discussion on paganism because they are not the same thing but then again I don't have a problem with it being discussed here.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
Yes, Wicca is part of paganism. If you want to get technical about it, it should all be referred to as neo-paganism, but it is an earth-based religion. Any one of my friends who follow this path will tell you it is. As eyepriestess previously stated, religion is simply a belief in a higher power or truth, but that definition can assuredly be argued. Yes, historically speaking a pagan was a country-dweller, hence our closeness to nature and all it provides for us. But that's why I stated that paganism is actually the umbrella term under which many spiritual beliefs fall.

And if the Wicca section isn't appropriate for this type of discussion, perhaps the section should be renamed to Paganism and Wicca can fall under the umbrella as is appropriate.
(03-17-2009, 12:31 PM)Scáthach Wrote: And if the Wicca section isn't appropriate for this type of discussion, perhaps the section should be renamed to Paganism and Wicca can fall under the umbrella as is appropriate.

No this section is OK, I am not going to be that strict about what can be discussed in which section. All I really meant was that pagan does not equal wicca. While some pagans may be wiccans all of them are not. I have several 'pagan' friends who do not follow wicca in any way whatsoever, nor do they believe in any higher power or religion at all.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
I don't follow wicca either. I'm a solitary witch dabbling in shamanism and some other stuff. But I do consider myself to be a pagan.