Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Famous "Salem Witch Trials" of Massachusetts 1692
I have been to Salem Massachusetts more times in my life than any other famous historical town ever. (At least 6-7 times.) It is one of my favorite historical subjects. It is a pretty town with very interesting attractions that make you say: "WOW."
But who would have known that this calm peaceful town once was the start of a tragic time in the late 16th century. The Salem Witch Trials. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032
The Salem Witch Trials started when Betty Parris, age 9, and her older cousin Abigail Williams, age 11, started having strange unexplainable fits that today would be described as " Epileptic Fits." Betty Parris's father, Samuel Parris, who was a well known minister, described the fits as: "beyond the power of any other illness or natural disease." He could not understand what was wrong with his daughter and niece.
Betty and Abigail would fall to the floor screamed as if they were being tormented by something only they could see. They threw things around the room, (including the Holy Bible) utter strange sounds, crawl under the furniture, and convulse and contorted themselves into peculiar positions. The girls screamed that they were being pinched and pricked with pins and needles. Icontexto-emoticons-10-032x032 In weeks, for some days later, the same behavior had spread all over Salem with other pre teen and teen girls.
Preachers every Sunday would be interrupted by outbursts of screams, shrieks, and groans.
In this time period, religion was a considered a very strong and needed thing for every person. Everyone went to church, and the law was strict.
Suspicion was everywhere, and soon, there was a conclusion that most agreed with.
Betty, Abigail, and the other girl were "bewitched by the devil."
This lead to many imprisonments, hangings, for some, torture. People of Massachusetts believed that this must be the only and true reason for the girl's behavior.
When they came to this conclusion, the people asked the girls: "Abigail Williams, Betty Parris, who torments you so?!"
The girls began to give names of those that "bewitched them."
"Bridget Bishop, Sarah Good, Sarah Osborne, and Tituba! THEY torment us so!"
Most of these 3 woman they accused were obvious targets of accusations. Sarah Good was a homeless beggar who would beg for food or shelter from the neighbors. To make life even more difficult, she even had a daughter, Dorothy Good, who was 4 years old at the time of the Salem witch trials. Sarah Osborne was having a affair with her indentured man servant and rarely attended church. Tituba was Betty Parris father's female slave who was known to practice black magic.
On March 1st, 1692, they sent these 3 woman to jail to await there trials of "witchcraft." Rebecca Nurse, a well known elderly christian woman who had spent most of her life in church and attending charity donations, was even accused of witchcraft! Sarah Good's daughter, 4 year old Dorothy, (mistaken as named "Dorcas") was even chained at her mother side for making "strange faces" at the afflicted girl's at a town meeting.
Then, the accused would await there trial in there small damp, health hazardous cell. You were only fed when your family could afford it. The accused person's family would have to pay for his/her shackles, cell, food, and sometimes if they were from a rich family, plank bed.
Over 150 people during the salem witch trials were arrested and imprisoned. Frown At least five of the prisoners died in jail. Frown Nineteen of the accused, (and tried) fourteen woman and five men, were hanged. One man, the famous Giles Corey, was crushed to death for 3 days before he finally died. He was laid out on his back, with a board pressed to his chest. As each hour passed, they added on more rocks on top of the plank balanced on Giles chest. They were trying to force him to utter a plea. Guilty or not guilty. He refused to answer. He died. Crushed by the large rocks on top of his chest. His last words followed by the question: " Corey! End your suffering! What is your plea?!"
Corey replied: "More. Weight."
And he died. FrownBlueoh
The most infamous test of "testing if you were guilty as a witch" was the Touch Test. The accused would be blindfolded, and there hands reached out to touch the afflicted person they supposedly "bewitched." If the sobbing, screaming, shrieking girls quieted when the "witch" touched them, they were guilty as a witch. The afflicted girls said that the only one who could temporarily quiet there suffering from the devil that tormented them was the devils followers. The witches. They could use black magic to quiet there cries of fear and agony. These "witches" were then arrested and brought to jail.
19 innocent people hanged and over 100 wrongfully accused of "witchcraft." It's so sad. Frown
Now, Salem Massachusetts is a famous town full of attractions, historical sites, ext, in tribute of the salem witch trials.
If you love Halloween, it is your dream come true! I love it! It truely is a amazing place to be for Halloween lovers. Hours long Halloween parades, Halloween Night costume balls and contests, street dances, ghost tours, everything scary!
A must see place to go! Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032
Very interesting. I am curious, did you write this yourself?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
Terrible crimes against humanity were commited during those times, both here and abroad. Most were tried and covicted of witchcraft that never had a thing to do with it. Jealously, fear, contempt played roles in reasons people were singled out and accused. Among other things. I agree with CT this is an interesting story, what was your basis of research? ie; name of the book you were reading or article? I am curious. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032
"It is not length of life, but depth of life." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dragon wizard <--BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.. it may not always be what you need..

Free your mind and the rest will follow....
Smile 
(05-20-2010, 12:04 PM)CareTaker Wrote: Very interesting. I am curious, did you write this yourself?

yes, Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032 why? ya, there were like 5-6 words that i learned the definition from where i got the info from, but ya. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
i don't know, Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032 know a lot about it. i have been there and known about it sense 2004. that was the first time i went there ever. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 it was awesome.
if you go there, you will find out there are a lot of trial renactments. they have a lot of info. the most common one is called "Cry Innocent" about Bridget Bishop's trial. its so cool. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 the actors and actresses drag a woman screaming threw Essex's Street in Salem (playing bridget bishop) and she yells stuff like: "i'm not a witch! im innocent!" they are VERY good actors and actresses. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
of course everyone has cameras and stuff, and i tried getting a pic once and she goes: "why are you pointing that small box at me?!" and she keeps on yelling. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032
of topic, but seriously, you should go there. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032
(05-20-2010, 12:39 PM)HaleySupernaturalFreak15 Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 12:04 PM)CareTaker Wrote: Very interesting. I am curious, did you write this yourself?

yes, Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032 why? ya, there were like 5-6 words that i learned the definition from where i got the info from, but ya. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
i don't know, Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032 know a lot about it. i have been there and known about it sense 2004. that was the first time i went there ever. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 it was awesome.
if you go there, you will find out there are a lot of trial renactments. they have a lot of info. the most common one is called "Cry Innocent" about Bridget Bishop's trial. its so cool. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 the actors and actresses drag a woman screaming threw Essex's Street in Salem (playing bridget bishop) and she yells stuff like: "i'm not a witch! im innocent!" they are VERY good actors and actresses. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
of course everyone has cameras and stuff, and i tried getting a pic once and she goes: "why are you pointing that small box at me?!" and she keeps on yelling. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032
of topic, but seriously, you should go there. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032

Could you please give me the info on where you read this article? I would like to take a look at it, if it was a book, even better. This is somewhat a passion of mine. THX. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032

Dragon wizard <--BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.. it may not always be what you need..

(05-20-2010, 12:20 PM)Lady Ellie Wrote: Terrible crimes against humanity were commited during those times, both here and abroad. Most were tried and covicted of witchcraft that never had a thing to do with it. Jealously, fear, contempt played roles in reasons people were singled out and accused. Among other things. I agree with CT this is an interesting story, what was your basis of research? ie; name of the book you were reading or article? I am curious. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032

heres a few things Smile Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032 Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032

* The Devil in Massachusetts: A Modern Enquiry into the Salem Witch Trials (by: Marion L. Starkey.)
(i have this book at home. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 )

*The Sacrifice
by Kathleen Benner Duble
(Here a historical fiction book, thats one of my favorites. even thoughs it fiction its based highly on the witch trials. some of the real people involved with the salem witch trials are in this book, the only thing thats missing or different is they are in the wrong families. the author was really good about the truth of the salem witch trials. not much is made up. it talks about the "Touch Test" the cruelty's of the jail, a lot of interesting things. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 )

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects.../salem.htm
Could you please give me the info on where you read this article? I would like to take a look at it, if it was a book, even better. This is somewhat a passion of mine. THX. Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032
[/quote]
Thanks for the info, I am familiar with the work, The sacrifice was written based on the authors family history during the witch trials.
I will check out the link you provided. Thanks again. Smile

That is really very good Haley. You'd be amazed at how many people dont know that they didnt burn "witches" at Salem.

I saw a program on TV once where they showed how some of them were literally squashed flat very slowly. They actually demonstrated with pigs.

Its things like what happened in Salem that cause me to be against organized religion.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
(05-20-2010, 01:00 PM)CareTaker Wrote: I saw a program on TV once where they showed how some of them were literally squashed flat very slowly. They actually demonstrated with pigs.

that is so funny! Icontexto-emoticons-10-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-10-032x032Blueoh i saw that tv episode once too! ya, they showed what happened to giles corey body as he was squashed by deminstrating what was about 1000 pounds on a dead pigs body! omg! BlueohIcontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 is that the one you are talking about? Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032 then, they had a young proffesional guy come in and they showed how your breathing and pulse difference was. it was creepy! im surprised that he let them do that! i would freak! lol Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032
(05-20-2010, 01:00 PM)CareTaker Wrote: You'd be amazed at how many people dont know that they didnt burn "witches" at Salem.

Icontexto-emoticons-10-032x032Blueoh ok, im dead serious...they burned witches in salem?! im serious, i didn't know that! i knew they did that many, many, many times like in england, london, other countries, and some in a america, but i never knew they did that in salem! Blueoh im gonna look that up too. they never told us about any of that in all the salem attractions i ever went too! Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032Blueoh
thanks, lol, that is wierd though. Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032
(05-20-2010, 01:00 PM)Lady Ellie Wrote: Thanks for the info, I am familiar with the work, The sacrifice was written based on the authors family history during the witch trials.
I will check out the link you provided. Thanks again. Smile

Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032 yup, your right. Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032 i love that book! Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032
your welcome Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-09-032x032
Back then people were more crazy then they are now. God forbid somebody in the village pointed there finger at you, you'd be sentenced to death with out having a chance to explain, by either being hung / tied to a stake and burned alive. Or crushed by boulders.

I've heard so much history about that place, and I don't think it's too far off from where I live. I'd like to go visit sometime.
Butterfly Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments in life that take your breath away.