Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Evidence or no evidence?
Just some thoughts last night before I fell asleep...

What does evidence matter? To me, and probably to anyone who has experienced anything of the paranormal, you believe it's real no matter what anyone says, if you got told by someone that you're so called paranormal experience was something explainable and nothing out of the ordinary, are you going to believe them? YOU know what YOU felt/saw/experienced.

Theres a lot of things in life that we believe in, but don't have any evidence of. Theres god for example, any god, there isn't any hard fact evidence but our faith is so strong it's believable, how about the loch ness monster? sure there have been "photographs" or peoples sightings, but for the life of us we can't find anything to suggest there is or ever was a loch ness monster.

The fact of the matter is, your strong faith in something is a lot more real than science is.

Why do we always try to make something a science? Why do we have to spend millions and millions of money on researching something to prove that something is real in black and white? I don't like how skeptics always try to pin paranormal things on something natural, why can't you have an open mind and think how amazing it would be if some humans could do things that we can't explain? I think that these people are scared to think that there is something so advanced in our world.

I think that the paranormal should stay what it is...a mystery, a wonderful ability of the human mind, the unexplainable.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for understanding things but no amount of evidence is going to make you change your mind if you know in your heart or hearts that what you believe in is true.

On the other side of the coin...could all this research pay off? Could it benefit man kind? If we figure out how everything paranormal works, could we improve it? Or would it ruin it?

Sorry for the rant lol. I'm all for anyones opinion wither you agree or not, maybe you could change my views?

Stacey
"If at first you don't succeed...re-define success"

"It's not how many years of experience you have...it's how much experience are in the years."

"If in doubt...google!" - SweetyStacey

"Love will find a way..." - The Lion King 2

(05-16-2010, 03:00 PM)SweetyStacey Wrote: Just some thoughts last night before I fell asleep...

What does evidence matter? To me, and probably to anyone who has experienced anything of the paranormal, you believe it's real no matter what anyone says, if you got told by someone that you're so called paranormal experience was something explainable and nothing out of the ordinary, are you going to believe them? YOU know what YOU felt/saw/experienced.

Theres a lot of things in life that we believe in, but don't have any evidence of. Theres god for example, any god, there isn't any hard fact evidence but our faith is so strong it's believable, how about the loch ness monster? sure there have been "photographs" or peoples sightings, but for the life of us we can't find anything to suggest there is or ever was a loch ness monster.

The fact of the matter is, your strong faith in something is a lot more real than science is.

Why do we always try to make something a science? Why do we have to spend millions and millions of money on researching something to prove that something is real in black and white? I don't like how skeptics always try to pin paranormal things on something natural, why can't you have an open mind and think how amazing it would be if some humans could do things that we can't explain? I think that these people are scared to think that there is something so advanced in our world.

I think that the paranormal should stay what it is...a mystery, a wonderful ability of the human mind, the unexplainable.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for understanding things but no amount of evidence is going to make you change your mind if you know in your heart or hearts that what you believe in is true.

On the other side of the coin...could all this research pay off? Could it benefit man kind? If we figure out how everything paranormal works, could we improve it? Or would it ruin it?

Sorry for the rant lol. I'm all for anyones opinion wither you agree or not, maybe you could change my views?

Stacey

This amazes me that you can say why don't we have an open mind, we do have an open mind, we started out believing in the paranormal and as we learn more about the truths we learn what real causes are. It seems to me the people that need to get an open mind are the ones that believe its paranormal even with proof its not.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
I'm talking about the people that right off the bat say theres no way paranormal exists (such as my dad) and won't even entertain the idea.

Yes there are some claims that have been proven to be real causes as you say, but does that mean that everything paranormal does't exist?

There are some people who believe in paranormal who are just closed off and won't listen to suggestings of reality so yes they are the ones who need to open their minds.

I find it really odd how people can not believe in it when there are millions of incidents, millions of people who have had shared experiences around the world, surely we can't all be deluded?

Stacey

"It's not how many years of experience you have...it's how much experience are in the years."

Well, the people who just outright don't believe aren't looking for evidence so they wouldn't be classified as skeptics.
a skeptic is defined as someone who maintains a doubting attitude towards something others believe. if people don't believe in it why would they even consider researching and testing the idea in case they might be proven wrong?
only people who are unsure will seek out evidence to make their decision.

Stacey

(05-16-2010, 03:35 PM)SweetyStacey Wrote: a skeptic is defined as someone who maintains a doubting attitude towards something others believe. if people don't believe in it why would they even consider researching and testing the idea in case they might be proven wrong?
only people who are unsure will seek out evidence to make their decision.

Stacey

No, a skeptic is someone who wants evidence first. That's why someone is skeptical to a topic, not disbelieving.
right ok, hold my hands up for wrong terminology...replace skeptic with close-minded people then?

Stacey

Two years ago I was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the experiences I had were paranormal. In this last year, I have learned enough to know that something else may have caused it.

Am I 100% convinced now that my experiences were not paranormal? No, I'm not...I've opened my mind to the possibility that there may have been something else. If anything, adding some skepticism made me MORE openminded than I was before.

As far as closeminded people..I'm assuming you are talking about the ones that say "There are no such thing as paranormal events...period". And yes, that type of thinking does close one off to many possibilities. But that is not a skeptic.

When advising someone on what appears to be a paranormal event...I always make suggestions for what can possibly be causing it naturally. This is because there are things that aren't paranormal that appear to be so. Some of these things, such as hallucinations caused by hidden mold or toxins in the home aren't paranormal..but they might cause actual danger to the people involved if not identified.

Rule out what could be caused naturally...and then look at what is left. And granted..that isn't always much. It is enough to keep us looking...including and most especially, the skeptics.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Stacey you are the one who is close minded. You will believe in paranormal no matter what proof you are presented with. You believe in Nessie even though the truth has come out how it was all a hoax.

I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't think some paranormal existed. When I came here I believed a few different experiences were paranormal. It was only after studying and experimenting I discovered most weren't. That is an open mind. I am looking for the truth and if you have proof of paranormal then by all means show me.

I will add I am God I know you will believe me because who are you to doubt it.

Ok Definition of Closeminded
not ready to receive to new ideas

Definition of open minded
ready to entertain new ideas; "an open-minded curiosity"; "open-minded impartiality"
Willing to consider new and different ideas or opinions

So maybe if you would open your mind to new ideas you may come away with a better understanding of the truth.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
I'm sorry i've offended people, I was only venting out my thoughts which was clearly the wrong idea. I'm not going to post on here for a while I have some issues in my life I need to overcome and being on the internet isn't going to help. Sorry again.

Stacey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are ghosts real? Evidence Has Not Materialized! UglyNRude 3 4,080 12-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CareTaker
  Evidence is everything UglyNRude 7 4,353 10-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Last Post: nawal
  EVP is not evidence of ghosts UglyNRude 21 29,246 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Last Post: magicdavidpa