Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does your soul weigh 21 grams ?
21 gramms is the weight of a humming bird,a chocolate bar or five nickels.but some say this is the weight a person looses at the time of their death,could this be the soul leaving the physical body,

it is an interesting thought,but my personal views dont accept this as possible..

from death onwards you internal body tissues,enzymes etc start to break down,the pace of which this happens depends on the individual,gasses and fluid are lost too..
lets say a person dies with an injury..the loss of a limb,muscle,tissue,body fluids are all going to present with the loss of mass weight..

its like the old fashioned belief that an adult body has approx 8 pints of blood within it..utter rubbish..for those who believe this,can you really see a 22 stone man having the same amount of blood as a 8 stone man..im sorry but the larger man would be dead..you have roughly one pint of blood to each stone you weigh.

i cant see how a person whom is weighed before and after death wont see at times some reduction..but i certainly wont agree its the soul of the person whom has left..and even worse secenarios if you weigh them after a post mortem..
21 grams is an extremely small amount of weight in relation to a persons total weight. As you say, there are so many fluids and gasses, etc in the human body it would be difficult, if not impossible to actually measure the changes and determine where they occurred.

I do not believe that a persons sould ,or spirit, is a physical thing and therefore I would not think that it would have mass that could be measured.

Just my opinions

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
i cant agree more,some ppl hadnt actually heard of this theory,it was the result of a film a few years back,for those who dont know,lol
Yes, I saw that movie, it wasn't bad. I havent actually done any research to find out if there was any real evidence for the 21 gram theory, but I doubt that there is.

Unfortunately a lot of people learn their 'facts' from movies and as most of us know movies are generally full of misconceptions and stuff that are entirely made up for entertainment purposes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

like having visions with a cornea transplant PMSL :lol:
I believe it would be impossible to actually measure something like that. I never heard of this so-called theory and didnt see that movie. Just my opinion on the subject, but I say it would not be possible to weigh something like a persons spirit or soul.

I did a little Google-ing and this comes from a study done by a Dr MacDougall in 1907. He'd actually weighed 6 bodies before and after death and the results he came up with varied, they did not all lose the same amount of weight. His findings are regarded as having little if any scientific merit.
Out of the six bodies that he observed, 2 of the findings were discarded as bad. This same Dr later went on to trying to capture a soul leaving a dead body on x-ray. It takes a little over 28 grams to even make a ounce, so 21 grams isn't much at all.
The original soul-weighing experiments were carried out in the earliest years of the 20th Century by a Canadian physician, Dr. Duncan MacDougall. He published his results in 1907.

Dr. MacDougall discovered that human beings experience a weight loss at death and that this loss averages around four onces.

The general agreement today is that what Dr. MacDougall actually measured was water vapor exiting the body at death.

But what would cause this loss?

If the soul or spirit has any electro-magnetic qualities, isn't it possible that it pulls some vapor with it as it departs?
i dont understand where this 4 oz measurement comes from !!
any deceased body will loose weight due to trauma,fluid loss,gasses etc
I cant see how on earth this cld be measured accuratly regardless of it being a spiritual or natural occurance..
MacDougall claimed that body fluids, especially, would have remained on the scale. (Which was one of those metal basket types used to weigh living patients down to this day.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why won't 'Peanut' (my Grams passed husb)leave me alone? doUcWhatiC 9 4,824 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Last Post: doUcWhatiC
  How much does a ghost weigh? UglyNRude 28 21,108 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: scarygirl67