Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Giving advice on demons
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Giving advice on demons
Hey everybody,

I wanted to try to start a discussion on this, because it seems to me there are a lot of people talking about demons and demonic activity lately. This is not only on our forums, but on television and in movies. Demons seem culturally pervasive, just as angels were back in the 90's.

What is different, though, is the danger levels.

Just about anyone who believes demonic hauntings (as well as demonic oppression and possession) exist, believes that they are among the most (if not the most) dangerous type of haunting. It's also one of the most rare types of hauntings.

The problem that exists, with demons being so popularized in the media (and misrepresented on shows like Paranormal State... where is seems like demons are in every house), is that people not familiar with the paranormal have begun to see any haunting, especially malevolent hauntings, as demonic.

I think that we, as avid "fans" and students of the paranormal have 2 imperatives at this point... and those are the things I think we need to discuss.

1) Addressing the concerns of those who feel they are being attacked

2) Giving them some sort of help.

None of us are demonologists (that I'm aware of), and I don't think many of us have ever stepped in and tried to aid in a demonic case in a hands on nature. Because of this I think we need to begin taking a much more measured approach to how we address people who come to us asking for help with demons.

Because demonic activity is so rare, I think we need to be careful how swiftly we use the D word. I must say that in some cases we are very good about this, and I know is some cases people are already panicked and analyzing will not help them.

The second is the most important thing that I think we need to openly discuss. If someone does have a demonic entity in their house, we must be careful what advice we give. Demonic activity can be extremely dangerous (if not physically then mentally) to the person being affected, and if they come here seeking advice... we need to be careful what we say.

Simply telling someone to throw religious scripture at a demon, or citing a story from a religious text may not be the best thing to do. There are a couple thousand years worth of people working against demonic activity, and there's been a lot of work done in the past couple of decades that is well documented. I'm not saying throwing your religion at a demon may not help, but if it's not done properly, it may make things much worse.

Now, I'm not saying we can not offer advise to those plagues by what they feel is demonic activity... but I think we all need to use some self restraint when doling out advice, because I don't think any of us want someone to come back saying that what we told them to do made matters worse.

What do you guys think?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
RE: Giving advice on demons
I think we're very lucky to have you as a member here Browncoat...excellent post!

I have always tried to be careful about what advice I give...and I completely agree with you, that the actual percentage of hauntings that have been determined to have been demonic is very small...and while I have no experience in this field, and don't claim to, I do want to give helpful and correct advice.

I look forward to hearing what more people have to say on this...and thank you for bringing it up. I will comment more later, but I have to deal with the (very real) demons of the utility companies and go pay my bills!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree excellent post - I have made this thread a 'sticky' in the demons section

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I know we talked some about this yesterday BC and I tend to agree! I "try" not to give advice when I dont know what I'm talking about LOL. I do occasionally but I try not to.

This is an excellent post by the way Wink

Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
(01-05-2010 09:37 AM)Browncoat Wrote:  Hey everybody,

I wanted to try to start a discussion on this, because it seems to me there are a lot of people talking about demons and demonic activity lately. This is not only on our forums, but on television and in movies. Demons seem culturally pervasive, just as angels were back in the 90's.

What is different, though, is the danger levels.

Just about anyone who believes demonic hauntings (as well as demonic oppression and possession) exist, believes that they are among the most (if not the most) dangerous type of haunting. It's also one of the most rare types of hauntings.

The problem that exists, with demons being so popularized in the media (and misrepresented on shows like Paranormal State... where is seems like demons are in every house), is that people not familiar with the paranormal have begun to see any haunting, especially malevolent hauntings, as demonic.

I think that we, as avid "fans" and students of the paranormal have 2 imperatives at this point... and those are the things I think we need to discuss.

1) Addressing the concerns of those who feel they are being attacked

2) Giving them some sort of help.

None of us are demonologists (that I'm aware of), and I don't think many of us have ever stepped in and tried to aid in a demonic case in a hands on nature. Because of this I think we need to begin taking a much more measured approach to how we address people who come to us asking for help with demons.

Because demonic activity is so rare, I think we need to be careful how swiftly we use the D word. I must say that in some cases we are very good about this, and I know is some cases people are already panicked and analyzing will not help them.

The second is the most important thing that I think we need to openly discuss. If someone does have a demonic entity in their house, we must be careful what advice we give. Demonic activity can be extremely dangerous (if not physically then mentally) to the person being affected, and if they come here seeking advice... we need to be careful what we say.

Simply telling someone to throw religious scripture at a demon, or citing a story from a religious text may not be the best thing to do. There are a couple thousand years worth of people working against demonic activity, and there's been a lot of work done in the past couple of decades that is well documented. I'm not saying throwing your religion at a demon may not help, but if it's not done properly, it may make things much worse.

Now, I'm not saying we can not offer advise to those plagues by what they feel is demonic activity... but I think we all need to use some self restraint when doling out advice, because I don't think any of us want someone to come back saying that what we told them to do made matters worse.

What do you guys think?

I am glad you posted this and I read it. I don't know anything on this subject. But I am glad that I found this site, If I would ever have any questions it is nice to know that their are people like you here.

I watch those shows out of interest but often wonder how much of it is dealt with correctly.

love and miss you dad
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Something that should be kept in mind when demonology is discussed...is that the definition of demonology is 'the study of demons'.

If you look at this in the perspective of the church in it's sanctioned form a demonologists role is to document potential activity only. That documentation is then turned over to the proper authorities who continue with investigations procedures including substance abuse profiles, medical and psychological evaluations.

The truth is that hauntings which are found to be demonic in nature are less than 1% of cases (0.78 overall to be more exact) which are investigated. The Catholic church reports only 1 in 5000 investigated cases of reported posession to be in fact, demonic. The current paranormal TV show trend paints a much different picture, one that is not only inaccurate but as well freightingly entertaining for many.

In those rare instances, someone telling a person actually affected by a demon to pray or recite scripture could spur devastating results. In a demonic haunting situation the activity could become worse. In the case of posession...the victim would not be able to say the scripture or the name of Jesus. The demon would react violently to the afflicted person...potentially causing physical harm or even death.

Inner healing prayer is the practice of freeing and individual from demonic opression. It requires a trained individual with a background in pastoral care, counseling, and a deep understanding of spiritual warfare. I will interject here however and add that this is how demons most often interfere with and affect peoples lives...through core wounding, circumstance and chaos. It is a personal battle which requires appropriate care.

Let it be known that anyone who offers advice here or elsewhere without the proper knowledge and training is not working in the best interest of others. This is in no way a game that should be played with peoples lives.

I hope within my lifetime to see standards set within the paranormal community which will bring understanding and change to a spiraling out of control field. Although there are some parameters in place...not everyone operates within them. There is not a single profession other than those paranormal which allows you to make up the rules as you go. Unless some order is found and proper documentation guidelines are set, we will never know the truth of it all.

In all things those seeking advice should be mindful of that which is offered, and those offering it should always be considerate and respectful of others beliefs.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Feel free to tell me what you need and I will tell you how to get by without it. ~Mom

For the believer, both the evidence of science and the failure of science to explain the paranormal is all the proof they need. For the sceptic, no evidence no matter how scientific will ever be proof enough. ~John Zaffis
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Beautifully said, Haunted Lady!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Bravo HL!!!!!!Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032

Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I tend to stay away from the Demon Haunting threads. Firstly because I've never really been interested in the topic and so, I know little of it... And secondly, because too many people insist they're haunted by a demon without considering other options first.

People who jump to the conclusion that what they saw or experienced was the work of an actual demon aren't considering other real and/or paranormal explanations. For example (of other paranormal explanations), poltergeists, which have been known to be a little unruly and malevolent. There are also angry spirits of the deceased... or it may even be a misunderstood spirit- who is being playful and trying to get attention by getting into mischief.

Some people are just plain startled by the paranormal, so anything that scares them will be called a "demon"... whether it is or it isn't.

Demons are, in a sense, OVER DONE... which is probably why I haven't done much reading on the topic.

... but my advice for anything "dark"... is to avoid it like the plague. Any old snake in the grass will bite if you poke it with a stick long enough, so just don't go there to begin with. Especially since finding anti-venom can take a while...
01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
... but my advice for anything "dark"... is to avoid it like the plague. Any old snake in the grass will bite if you poke it with a stick long enough, so just don't go there to begin with. Especially since finding anti-venom can take a while...
[/quote]
Love this! Great way to put it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclamation Need Advice: I see (potentially) demons in my room Whimz 22 4,924 10-15-2017 10:22 PM
Last Post: jj007123
  Advice on demons? Memeow 9 8,579 01-09-2014 10:20 AM
Last Post: Akaalis