Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiccan Rede rules governing Wiccan behavior
This is a video slide show of The Wiccan Rede ... the rule governing Wiccan behavior

What do you think? Is this information acurrate? There is much I do not know about Wicca so I am curious about this.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
Yep, that's about right. It's about nature, love and harming none.
Well everything I see there looks just great - I can find no fault in that philosophy!

From Wikipedia:

Quote:The Wiccan Rede (pronounced "reed") is a statement that provides the key moral system in the neopagan religion of Wicca, and other related witchcraft-based faiths. The most common form of the Rede is An it harm none, do what ye will.

"Rede" is a word from Middle English meaning "advice" or "counsel", cognate to the German Rat or Swedish råd. "An" is an archaic Middle English conjunction, meaning "if," as in the Shakespearean "an it please thee." "Ye", in the context of Middle English, here replaces "you" as the subject. Other variants include:

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill, An it harm none do what ye will. Note: this is the first published form of the couplet, quoted from Doreen Valiente in 1964. Later published versions include "ye" instead of either "the" or "it": "Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill — an ye harm none, do what ye will" (Earth Religion News, 1974); "Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An' it harm none, Do what ye will" (Green Egg, 1975)
An it harm none, do what thou wilt
An it harm none, do as thou wilt
That it harm none, do as thou wilt
Do what you will, so long as it harms none

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiccan_Rede

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

This is why I do not understand why so many ppl think that those who practice wicca thinks that they are evil ppl when there is nothing evil about them they are just great ppl and and only do good for the world.
I have to agree CT. One of the reasons Wicca has interested me, is it is the closest spiritual belief system to what my great-grandfather practiced as a Lakota medicine man, or shaman. He knew his path as 'The Red Way' but it was very similar.

I find no issue with Wicca (or paganism). Ultimately we develop our own belief systems and we choose our life paths. We shouldn't persecute those who don't choose the same path, but embrace them and learn from them. Through this, we become more educated about ourselves and what makes us who we are.
Harm none is a much better philosophy than "do unto others.." For example a sado masochist would behave much differently depending upon which philosophy they followed!

That's a good point CT...you know, my friend who is Wiccan has told me for years..."Angie, we are more closely connected in our beliefs than you realize". I must say, since I've been here and read more about it...I have to agree.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

I know this is in other topics but the organized religions that are out there are the one's that have labeled Wicca,Paganism and anything related as evil.The main rule of Christianity is if you don't understand it then it must be evil.
Oh I never thought it was evil...it's like anything else, there are people who are evil and people who aren't...that's in any faith, including Christianity. I just never realized how much of these beliefs I actually agreed with and have lived my life by all along until I started reading more about it here.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

I was taught all my childhood that wicca and pagan - or anything that wasnt Christian for that matter - was evil. However I never was the follower type and had my own individual mind. I read and thought and considered many, many things since those years and this is just one of those.

No, there is nothing evil about Wicca or pagan. They arent the same thing as many people believe. I think someone somewhere wrote all Wiccans are pagan but not all pagans are Wiccan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inactive Wiccan trying to start anew Chats With The Dead 4 5,653 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Last Post: WitchMom78
  The Wheel of the Year...the 8 Wiccan Sabbats WitchMom78 1 6,412 09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: scarygirl67
  The Wiccan Wheel of the Year WitchMom78 7 7,829 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Black Shuck
  Wiccan view on Deity WitchMom78 2 3,396 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Last Post: WitchMom78
  The Wiccan Rede...the full version WitchMom78 6 8,336 03-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Last Post: loki1980