Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True Life X Files Case The Toxic Lady
Head_16 
Gloria Ramirez was nick named the "Toxic Lady" after a few workers at the Riverside General Hospital in Riverside, California got very sick after being exposed to her body and her blood. Ramirez was brought to the hospital on February 19, 1994.

What happened to Gloria was used as the basis for a scene in an episode of X-Files as well as an episode for Grey's Anatomy.

These are just a few clips from the Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia Wrote:The medical staff injected her with Valium, Versed, and Ativan to sedate her, and agents such as lidocaine to stimulate her heartbeat. When it became clear that Ramirez was responding poorly to treatment, the staff tried to defibrillate her heart with electricity; at that point several people saw an oily sheen covering Ramirez’s body, and some noticed a fruity, garlicky odor that they thought was coming from her mouth. A registered nurse named Susan Kane attempted to draw blood from Ramirez's arm, and noticed an ammonia like smell coming from the tube.

She passed the syringe to Julie Gorchynski, a medical resident who noticed manila-colored particles floating in the blood.

Two months after Ramirez died, her badly decomposed body was released for an independent autopsy and burial. The Riverside Coroner's Office hailed Livermore's DMSO conclusion as the probable cause of the hospital workers' symptoms, while her family disagreed. The Ramirez family's pathologist was unable to determine a cause of death because her heart was missing, her other organs were cross-contaminated with fecal matter, and her body was too badly decomposed. Ten weeks after she died, Ramirez was buried in an unmarked grave at Olivewood Cemetery.

Allegations of accidental drug mixup and coverup

The New Times Los Angeles conducted an investigative report on the incident and concluded based on their own findings that in all likelihood that the fumes probably came instead from chemicals used to make the drug methamphetamine, and that someone in the hospital may have been illegally manufacturing it or a component of it near the time of Ramirez's death. The article suggested that meth chemicals may have been smuggled out of the hospital in IV bags and that one such bag may have been accidentally injected into Ramirez. The investigation, which included more than 30 interviews and a review of thousands of pages of government documents and legal papers, also shows that crucial evidence disappeared that could have cost the county millions of dollars in damages.

Read the whole Wikipedia thing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Ramirez

Read more about her at http://tafkac.org/medical/toxic_lady_faq.html

Do you think there was some weird drug or chemical/toxin that caused this or was there a meth lab in the hospital?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
That's weird, i was thinking of writing an article on her. How did she come to your attention?
Well, I am actually reading a book I just got called Almanac of the Infamous, the Incredible, and the Ignored. Its really cool because it is full of short pieces about all kinds of weird and out of the way things and events. I have read a lot of strange things about various light phenomenon and have been thinking of writing some on that as well.

Anyway, I am planning on writing a review of the book for TGT soon but thats not what this thread is about. The book had a write up about her and it sparked my curiosity to do some 'googlin'"

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
(09-19-2009, 10:35 PM)CareTaker Wrote: Well, I am actually reading a book I just got called Almanac of the Infamous, the Incredible, and the Ignored. Its really cool because it is full of short pieces about all kinds of weird and out of the way things and events. I have read a lot of strange things about various light phenomenon and have been thinking of writing some on that as well.

Anyway, I am planning on writing a review of the book for TGT soon but thats not what this thread is about. The book had a write up about her and it sparked my curiosity to do some 'googlin'"

Sounds like an interesting book. Seems right up my alley.

I first came across her on wikipedia. They actually have a list of strange deaths throughout history. I find it interesting because a bunch of people got sick before it was a panic, and the official explanation was mass hysteria.
Yeah, that does sound cool...the X-Files used to be so good, then it ended...sigh. Toxic Lady, whoa...how old was she?

Wish the paranormals had more shows...not on Syfy.(sci-fi)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting” - E.E. Cummings -
I had meant to comment on this story a while back....I must have forgotten to. I read the second link as well as the wikipedia article...from what I understand from it, the hospital had been cited in the past for attempting to cover up disposing of chemicals illegally...and the way they handled it with the Ramirez family was very poor.

I would guess that something was being made at that hospital, and was accidentally given to this woman...from what I read, she was brought in for difficulty breathing, so it is POSSIBLE that she ingested something at home....but if that were the case, why cover it up like that?
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

There is the possibility also that these toxic chemicals couldn't be disposed of properly. This woman dies and suddenly they have a body to transport their waste out of the facility.

Sick yes, but possible? Absolutely. A cover up would be needed to cover their tracks. Things like this have happened before, so it wouldn't shock me.
Wow....what an interesting story. I actually can see it both ways....and even possibly a combination of both. I can tell you from personal experience that your body can get backed up and cause very strange smells to come out. Unfortunately I have a condition known as gastroparesis. You usually only have this condition as a side condition to diabetes. However...my conclusion is that being that I am a recovering alcoholic...and have researched and found that many alcoholics tend to turn diabetic later that this could explain this condition. (Because alcohol breaks down into sugar). Anyways...I know for a fact that alcohol alone causes your system to back up...urine and fecal matter. Sorry to be gross. The smells when someone quits drinking can be very overwhelming and can appear to as different smells to different people. I would suppose that drugs legal and illegal alike can have the same effect on the human body. All drugs and alcohol and various medical treatments affect the liver...and when the liver can't process food, medication, liquid, etc. in a timely fashion it only makes sense that the body gets backed up and this can affect many various organs. Urine and fecal matter are toxic and therefore if they back up then it is possible that a toxic gas could form. You must remember that it was not a healthy individual that entered the ER. Secondly...it is possible that the hospital made mistakes or that illegal drugs were used or even unsanitary issues were involved. I would think that this would compound the problem if that were so. Just my thoughts on the matter.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." Ephesians 6:11
Thank you for bringing up some good points Warrior..some more things to consider about it.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Wow, glad to have found this old thread! I had no clue that episode from X files was from a real life story. Definitely going to check out that book, CT. Almanac of the Infamous, the Incredible, and the Ignored.

Do you happen to have the link to that review on TGT? I'd love to read it!
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~