Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do We Hear Our Names Called Out In The Wind?
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed in a previous thread and if so, I apologize ahead of time and feel free to delete.

This strange phenomenon has puzzled me for a long time, but why is it we hear our voices being called out? Sometimes it's in the wind, at night, or even when it's just dead silent. It's funny too because I usually hear my name being called out in my mother's tone of voice. Perhaps my brain subconsciously remembering her scoldings. Other times it's in a tone I'm not familiar with, but both times I feel either a sense of being watched or simply an alert feeling throughout my body. 
I am not jumping to any paranormal conclusions by any means, I'm sure there is a logical and psychological reason for it out there. 
If you do have some info on this phenomenon, please chime in!
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

Audio Pareidolia
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to UglyNRude for this post:
  • Chevleia
(02-21-2018, 05:15 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: Audio Pareidolia

I’m surprised two words were sufficient to get posted, it always tells me to write more Rolleyes
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep. 

Wouldn't the "familiar pattern" kind of have to exist, if it was to be perceived? Not to say that your name was actually being said on the wind, but it would seem to me that "familiar pattern" doesn't mean identical pattern. When your link says "perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists" it is describing psychosis more than a perception. People with psychosis do not perceive that which they hear in their minds. There has to be a physical stimulus, in order to perceive a familiar sensible pattern.

Logic.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to KaelisRa for this post:
  • Chevleia
I have a minor form of schizophrenia and I hear my name called out all of the time. Whether it's in a very noisy room or in complete silence. However, you can usually differentiate what is being heard is real or not. Sometimes, it's hard with someone with an active and creative mind since it'll interrupt your train of thought and the more you think about it, the less you remember where it originated from.
[Image: space.gif]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Vultyrex for this post:
  • Chevleia
In the past I've read that the most common place to hear things is in the shower, hence the question, "Why does the phone ring when I'm in the shower?" It didn't ring. The white noise and characteristics of sound in a tub or shower made a noise that people interpret as a ringing noise. At least, before cell phones with unusual ringtones.

Like your sense of vision you brain is constantly trying to interpret sounds as something familiar and often misinterprets a sound as something else. This causes people to hear random noises as people talking or music and also makes people interpret splotches as faces and clouds with animal shapes.
-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Darkforeboding for this post:
  • Chevleia
Thanks for the input everyone! They all make sense in contributing to this phenomenon. Shy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ever Hear Your Name Whispered On The Wind? Haunted Lady 33 27,876 12-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Chevleia
Exclamation THE WIND wildwind 14 4,739 11-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Last Post: nawal