Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was a skeptic, but now I have questions...
I am a new member to this foum and the whole reason I joined was so that I could share some experiences that I had over the past year and get some feedback.  Honestly, I have found no other resources that could provide any sort of explanation.  If anyone could offer me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

I will give you a bit of backstory first.

My husband and I moved to my hometown so that I could finish college.  We were living with my parents while we looked for an apartment.  My parents were looking to purchase an investment property, and offered to let us live there if we would do the renovations.  It took a while, but eventually we found a small house not far from where we were already living.  It was built in the mid 40's and sat on a lot that had been partitioned off from a 200 year old farm, with the old log farm house right across the street.  It's a beautiful area and the house was the perfect size (and price!).  When we walked in, it felt warm and inviting.  It felt like home.

We decided to refinish the floors before we moved in, so we ripped out the carpet upstairs and then spent countless hours scraping and sanding several layers of old latex paint off the wood floors downstairs.  It was so labor intensive that we ended up deciding to wait on redoing the living room floors, as they were in better shape than the rest of the house.  Once all the paint came off the floors, the house felt different.  It wasn't bad necessarily, just different.  My husband and I worked at a place where your schedule could vary greatly from one day to the next, so most of the time it would only be one of us working on the new house at a time.  While I was alone sanding the bedroom one afternoon, I saw something out of the corner of my eye pass across the hallway that led to the dining area.  I stopped sanding and went to check, thinking maybe someone had come to help me.  No one was there, but I felt uncomfortable.  

The next day, I was working alone again and I heard knocking on the back door.  I was standing just a few feet away and even though I could not see anyone, I opened the door.  Just then, there was a knock on the front door.  It startled me and I yelled "Who's there?!"  The next door neighbor timidly called out that she could come back later.  I felt embarassed about yelling and apologized to her.  I asked her if she had knocked on the back door before she came around to the front, even though I knew that there was no way she could have gotten all the way down the back steps and up the driveway and onto the front porch that fast.  She said that she had not.  We talked briefly about the neighborhood and then she left.  I went back inside the house to finish my work and got the distinct impression that I had entered someone else's home without knocking.  Later when I needed a break, I tried to step outside to take off my respirator and get some fresh air, but I couldn't get the deadbolt to unlock.  I struggled with it for a few minutes and then got annoyed and went out the back door bringing my keys along to see if I could open it from the outside.  It was an old-fashioned deadbolt and I assumed it was just rusty or needed to be replaced.  From the outside the key worked perfectly.  I chilled on the porch for a few minutes and then went back in to keep working.  When I got ready to leave, I couldn't get the deadbolt to open again.  I struggled with it for everal minutes and cursed at it a bit.  Finally, I gave up and left out the back door.  That night, I warned my husband that the deadbolt was faulty and might need replacing.

The following day, my husband and I were both off and were working together to fill in cracks and nail holes.  He was able to unlock and lock the deadbolt with ease.  I tried it several times with no issue. I asked him how he felt in the house.  He told me that lately he felt like he was trespassing.  It made me feel uneasy, and then he said that every time he was in the bedroom, a man would peek in from the dining room at him.  I almost puked.  We had been so busy with work and the house that we hadn't really talked about anything except schedules and wood floors.  I have always been a skeptic, but the atmosphere in the house made me question my views.  My husband has always been a little more open to ghosts and such.  He was so matter-of-fact about it.  I was absolutely stunned.  

The work slowed down after that because I felt weird about being there after dark.  We only had one more round of sanding to do and then the stain and polyurethane.  I threw off what my husband said as silliness and the next time I had to work alone I made a concerted effort to think about anything and everything except some strange man watching me while I worked.  I stayed in the kitchen/dining room area, which was the biggest part of our project.  When I stopped to change my sandpaper or clean up dust, I could hear the floor in the bedroom creaking.  I refused at the time to idenify the noise as footsteps, and even walked out the front door to look into the bedroom window (I was too chicken to walk right into the room) to see if there was anyone or anything in there.  I didn't tell my husband about it until the next day when we were doing the very last bit of sanding.  As he unplugged the sander after finishing the last part, we heard the creaking from the bedroom.  We looked at each other and I could see in his eyes that he was as creeped out as I was.  We tried everything to recreate the noises.  We assessed everything we could think of, but the only thing that would make the floors creak was walking on them.

I didn't want to finish the floors after that.  I didn't want to move in, and I definitely didn't want to sleep there.  I tried so hard to talk myself out of being afraid.  

Finally, the stain and polyurethane went on the floor.  Suddenly, it felt like home again.  The noises in the bedroom stopped.  I was still a little uncomfortable moving in, but we did it and it has been totally fine ever since.  That was a year ago.  One more thing - the only time since then when I haven't been able to unlock the deadbolt from the inside since last year was the couple of times I left my keys in the door.  You can't turn the lock from the inside if there is a key already in there.  I know I didn't leave my keys in the doorthat first day, because I had to dig my keys out of my purse to go around and unlock the front door.  Then when I left that evening out the back door, I used my keys to lock it and then went straight to my car.

My question is, after all that, is it the act of renovating the house that might spur paranormal activity or could it be that exposing the bare wood did it? 
 Is this a common occurrence?  The strange happenings started after we took the latex paint off and stopped when we put the polyurethane on.  I have experienced nothing since the last day the floors were bare.  We are planning on redoing the living room floors finally and I am really, really dreading it.
Is there anything I could do to keep things from happening this time?

Thank you for reading.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MurphyBrown for this post:
  • CareTaker
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Germany.

Paranormal phenomena can happen and have happened, it's always a question of how we handle it.

You wrote that it started with the renovation of the house and then suddenly stopped?
Unfortunately I can not give you the reason why it suddenly stopped.
All I can say is that it can happen that abandoned and old houses get new owners. Owner we can not see.

My questions in the direction would be how long the house was empty before and how the environment looks like, in which the house stands.

But your question was what you can do.

It is not even sure that anything paranormal will happen again.

But I want to offer you my help.

I could send you something, something that has helped a lot of people in similar situations. Two sigil.
Of course you get them for free, like all people before you and all after you who will need them.

It is unfortunately forbidden to use hyperlinks that lead to other forums.
If you can use Google translators (German/English), I can send the hyperlinks to you via PN.

Then at least you will know that I do not mean anything bad.

It's your decision, I just need an address where I can send the package via post.

However you decide, best regards.
Please do not ask members for personal contact information such as an address

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
You're right, I went a Little too far.
It is the German Heart: More direct, more strict and more precise.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kilian for this post:
  • CareTaker
Thank you for the info.

The house was not abandoned or empty between the previous owner and us. The next door neighbor's daughter owned it for two years before we purchased it. I had initially planned on asking her about the odd happenings, but the family has some strong religious convictions that make me hesitant to suggest that there might be some kind of paranormal activity in the house. They are very kind, helpful people. The last thing I want to do is make things weird and uncomfortable. I do wonder, however, if that is why the daughter only kept the house for two years.

The house was basically built by the land it sits on. The floors are heart pine, probably felled not far from the house. The stone for the foundation was probably hauled up from the woods. Is it possible that the wood could hold memories? Is that stupid?

We haven't done any other project as major as the floors, although while we were doing the floors we also spent a bit of time checking behind the walls upstairs to se where the duct work and wiring was. I don't know if it was the previous owner or the owners before her, but the upstairs was probably an atic or a single room originally. Now it is two small rooms and a hallway. The drywall was hastily hung and never patched or painted in some areas which made it simple to pull off and peek behind. I have to wonder now if that had anything to do with the activity we experienced.

We have painted, done some landscaping, and repaired some small issues with the walls in the kitchen. Nothing noticeable happened. It was just the floors. All the same, now I am almost afraid to do all of the renovations we had planned.
You do not have to be scared. Chances are very small that something will happen again.

People who experience such kind of happenings from one day to the next are usually irritated and scared. Especially if they have never believed in something like that before. They start to hear "demons" everywhere and Interpret everything and everyone as demonic.

Don't get me wrong: I believe and have seen enough to say yes the supernatural exists.

And I also believe you that there was something, because your experiences do not sound much different than lot of what I've experienced and heard from serious People. But when humans are scared, they are highly sensitive and react differently to many things as if they were not.
I understand this, because the first thing People, who get such kind of experiences think about are horrormovies or horrorstories.

This is in my opinion wrong, because these beings feed on fear. They need spiritual energy. 

This does not seem to be the case for you. As I wrote I don't know why it suddenly stopped. Maybe this beeing has seen your house as his house and after using plastic he has gone, because he didn't like it any more, or you have sealed up with the strong thought of improving the floor unconsciously the floor, or something else who knows...
But it stopped and it sounds like that this beeing was not very strong or it was not very aggressive.

I am not in the position to write to you what you have to believe or what not. I can only offer you my advice and as I done my opinion, fed from years of experience with these beasts.
You know what this beeings fear? Fearless People who totally control their emotions. People who can control their emotions not only outwardly but also internally are able to control them.

Ignore it emotionally, don't think about it live your life and for sure renovate your house, because it is your house.

Now maybe you will ask yourself and what if something happens?
Then you can write me a PN and we continue talking.

Greetings from the other side of the great wide ocean.