Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people see ghosts
Most of the time, when people think they’ve had a ghostly encounter, they haven’t necessarily actually seen something. Very often you’ll find that what people are referring to is a bit vaguer than that—a very strong sense of presence, for instance. Bereaved people might think that they smell the perfume that the deceased used to wear, or the tobacco they used to smoke.

People tend to assume, when you suggest that maybe they were hallucinating, that you’re saying that they’re crazy, and this just isn’t true—hallucinations are much more common amongst the non-clinical population than is generally appreciated. We can all hallucinate under appropriate conditions.

One of the phenomena that we’re particularly interested in is something called sleep paralysis. In its most basic form, sleep paralysis is very common. Estimates vary, but typically it’s estimated that about 8 percent of the general population suffer from basic sleep paralysis at least once in their lives, and a couple of groups—psychiatric patients and students—show it at a much higher rate.

What I mean by basic sleep paralysis is: You’re half awake and you’re half asleep—either going into sleep, or maybe coming out of it—and you get a period of temporary paralysis. It typically lasts a few seconds before you snap out of it. Most of the time it’s not a big deal—it’s a little bit disconcerting, that’s all.

For a smaller percentage of people, you get associated symptoms that can make for a much scarier experience—typically, a very strong sense of presence. Even if you can’t see or hear anything in the room with you, you get a very strong sense that there is something there. You might actually also hallucinate; you might hear voices, or footsteps, or mechanical sounds, or you might see dark shadows moving around the room, or lights, or monstrous figures, or shadow people. You might get tactile hallucinations—you might feel as if you’re being held, or you might feel someone breathing on back of your neck. And bear in mind that throughout all of this, you can’t actually move.

So it’s not too surprising that lots of people who have this experience, if they’ve never heard of sleep paralysis as a scientific and medical concept, end up reaching for some kind of supernatural interpretation. And because it’s such a common experience, you only need a small percentage

There is some research to indicate that people who are prone to paranormal beliefs are especially likely to attribute human characteristics to ambiguous stimuli, and researchers have suggested that a spooky context or the suggestion of a paranormal situation can prime people to be more likely to interpret ambiguous stimuli as ghosts or poltergeists.
https://gizmodo.com/why-do-people-see-gh...socialflow
Great article, UNR! Some people are quick to get defensive when you try to be logical and scientific with the answers to their mysteries. It’s good to see an article explain why they aren’t crazy, and are apart of a large number of people who have experienced similar situations. Idea
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep.
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. * Sunny Peach Blog ミ☆ 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

People see ghosts because they are real. I have seen my fair share of them. IT is great to give reasons on why or why not we might see something out of the ordinary and give a scientific reasons but not so good when people give a reasons and think they are right stating they are crazy or on drugs or need to see a psychiatrist for seeing things. I myself am on no drugs nor have any mental problems. We can not explain why we see things but we do.
http://www.bestofalltopics.com Where any thing is possible

Have a Paranormal Question? Submit it here and get the answers.

http://www.paranormalqa.com

Be-careful what you wish for because you just might get it
(12-22-2017, 04:46 PM)Booger-boo Wrote: People see ghosts because they are real. I have seen my fair share of them. IT is great to give reasons on why or why not we might see something out of the ordinary and give a scientific reasons but not so good when people give a reasons and think they are right stating they are crazy or on drugs or need to see a psychiatrist for seeing things. I myself am on no drugs nor have any mental problems. We can not explain why we see things but we do.

Perhaps you can explain what a ghost looks like? As many of us have never seen one. Do they look like people? or energy? I mean when we die the physical body is gone. and no mass is left.
When and where you see ghosts? daylight? night time?
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
I firmly think that some people leaves an impression on a location and are stuck there. I have seen people I have seen animal ghosts as I stated before more times than I care to count. It makes no difference if it is daylight or night I have seen them at all hours. I have seen them at different locations in my lifetime.

Are they clothed? Wonder where they shop?
Can you talk to them?
Can you see thru them?
Why not take a picture or video? After all if you can see them a camera could capture them. The money available for proof is amazing.
(12-23-2017, 08:01 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: Are they clothed? Wonder where they shop?
Can you talk to them?
Can you see thru them?
Why not take a picture or video? After all if you can see them a camera could capture them. The money available for proof is amazing.

Where do they shop? I really don't see a need to be a smart alec because you dont agree with or believe someone. You want proof? Go out and get it yourself instead of demanding it from everyone else here. You don't believe someone? That is fine and completely understandable. I dont believe much of what I read myself but that does not give me a reason to be a smart alec about it.

(12-23-2017, 08:01 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: After all if you can see them a camera could capture them.

I think that you might need to prove that statement Smile

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
Smart alec? I was serious, where do ghosts get the clothing they wear as when we die and leave the human shell why would the clothing go with the energy? I am not the one that has seen a ghost so i can only ask questions to those who make the claim.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(12-23-2017, 08:01 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: Are they clothed? Wonder where they shop?
Can you talk to them?
Can you see thru them?

Yes they are clothed I don't think I have ever seen a naked ghost before. They Shop at Ghost -R-Us. You can talk to them sometimes they will respond but most of the time they can not hear you or has nothing to say. There are some instances where they are not solid form so yes at times you can see through them other times they are solid and it is just like looking at me or you. I am not going to try and prove myself to you in no way. I am just stating that yes people sees and hears ghost. Not all of are crazy. Why is it so important to you to prove us wrong? With video sometimes you can catch em sometimes you can not.

Every time I see a post like this, no one can ever answer the question of "What exactly is a ghost?" There are never any definitive replies, either by scientists or by believers. Science tries to throw out words like incorporeal and immaterial, but then they can't define those beyond simple "what it's not" terms. "Well, immaterial is non-physical" or "The opposite of corporeal".

Define a ghost, and then describe why people should or shouldn't be able to see it. I mean, seriously. Tetrachromatic vision was originally thought to not exist, and then *BAM* cognitive scientists have discovered that neuroplasticity and certain genetics have led to people who can see a greater spectrum of colour. Obviously, they can't accurately describe the colours to people who don't understand what they are experiencing. So, they had to approach it a different way. Perhaps it's the same with the paranormal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How people see ghosts UglyNRude 8 3,513 06-30-2015, 02:22 AM
Last Post: nawal