Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and the Supernatural
What is a “ghost” anyway?

It’s pretty tricky to provide some definition of what exactly a ghost is, despite hundreds of years of investigation, no one has actually been able to isolate one. Now, of course for the pedants, I must add that this is very likely because ghosts don’t actually exist. But that isn’t as interesting as speculation. So let’s use the definition of ghosts that is most commonly held in popular culture, in both fiction and in what believers state that they experience in encounters with such things.
The rest of the article:
https://sciscomedia.co.uk/science-supernatural/
(10-29-2017, 06:38 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: What is a “ghost” anyway?

It’s pretty tricky to provide some definition of what exactly a ghost is, despite hundreds of years of investigation, no one has actually been able to isolate one. Now, of course for the pedants, I must add that this is very likely because ghosts don’t actually exist. But that isn’t as interesting as speculation. So let’s use the definition of ghosts that is most commonly held in popular culture, in both fiction and in what believers state that they experience in encounters with such things.
The rest of the article:
https://sciscomedia.co.uk/science-supernatural/

I do not know where you live, but I know for certain that you have an incorrect explanation of ghosts!

You also do not know why the human brain has a cross-functional body management function; The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the right side controls the left side.

Your spirits come from more religious theories.
Most are in clothes out of their time --- nonsense!

None of you has the advantage of giving you insights into the world of paranormal forms, because you are not part of this, you live only for your own life.

So do not ask why you have not discovered a ghost yet!

You need to be a reincarnation to get to know what you are doing and what's on the other side.

How many of you think that you are a reincarnation source - maybe 1% on
5 000 000 people ??

Reincarnation does not happen only in America happens anywhere;
Then it depends, from the donor of the body, whether he realizes or not!

I walk with ghosts:

Did you know the right and left can be split? studied this years ago in abnormal psychology classes. Its done to combat seizures.

Every time I see a post like this, no one can ever answer the question of "What exactly is a ghost?" There are never any definitive replies, either by scientists or by believers. Science tries to throw out words like incorporeal and immaterial, but then they can't define those beyond simple "what it's not" terms. "Well, immaterial is non-physical" or "The opposite of corporeal".

Define a ghost, and then describe why people should or shouldn't be able to see it. I mean, seriously. Tetrachromatic vision was originally thought to not exist, and then *BAM* cognitive scientists have discovered that neuroplasticity and certain genetics have led to people who can see a greater spectrum of colour. Obviously, they can't accurately describe the colours to people who don't understand what they are experiencing. So, they had to approach it a different way. Perhaps it's the same with the paranormal.

In addition, you cannot search for that of which you haven't even hypothesized the existence. You can't find anything, if you aren't looking for anything. Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to KaelisRa for this post:
  • Supernatural Storyteller
(01-07-2018, 03:16 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: Every time I see a post like this, no one can ever answer the question of "What exactly is a ghost?" There are never any definitive replies, either by scientists or by believers. Science tries to throw out words like incorporeal and immaterial, but then they can't define those beyond simple "what it's not" terms. "Well, immaterial is non-physical" or "The opposite of corporeal".

Define a ghost, and then describe why people should or shouldn't be able to see it. I mean, seriously. Tetrachromatic vision was originally thought to not exist, and then *BAM* cognitive scientists have discovered that neuroplasticity and certain genetics have led to people who can see a greater spectrum of colour. Obviously, they can't accurately describe the colours to people who don't understand what they are experiencing. So, they had to approach it a different way. Perhaps it's the same with the paranormal.

I spoke to someone the other day who swore her cat is able to see spirits. She was not the most credible person and she was deeply invested in trying to research ghosts, but she had some stories that were pretty cool and I really liked the detail of her cat being able to see them, if only because of how amusing it is. 

From my minimal anecdotal observation it seems as though experiencing the paranormal seems to run in certain families. When one person has a story about seeing a ghost or UFO or whatever it seems really likely that their parents do too. Often times the siblings don't believe them but the parents and children who have had the experiences can bond over it. I don't want to say it's genetic, but I've heard several people talking about paranormal perception running in their family. 
Yeah, but cognitive patterns run in the family. So, paranormal perception could just be some sort of cognitive abnormality that is properly explainable. I.E. It could be all subjective, and have no bearing on objective reality.
(01-29-2018, 12:13 AM)KaelisRa Wrote: Yeah, but cognitive patterns run in the family. So, paranormal perception could just be some sort of cognitive abnormality that is properly explainable. I.E. It could be all subjective, and have no bearing on objective reality.

Have you had any unexplainable experiences yourself? Or several?
I sure have. As a result, I'm now trying to make sense of them the best I can. I feel that the best way to legitimize my experiences is to work out the logic behind how they could exist. If there is a possibility that what I experienced was real, then I'd know where to start. Unfortunately, just believing that they were real doesn't help me any. I need to better understand them, in order to better identify them.
(01-30-2018, 11:10 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: I sure have. As a result, I'm now trying to make sense of them the best I can. I feel that the best way to legitimize my experiences is to work out the logic behind how they could exist. If there is a possibility that what I experienced was real, then I'd know where to start. Unfortunately, just believing that they were real doesn't help me any. I need to better understand them, in order to better identify them.

I'm lucky that the majority of my experiences have happened with someone else there. It doesn't help me prove it to other people but it definitely rules out some explanations for myself. I doubt I'll ever understand some of the things I've seen though.

Specifically, I used to be a skeptic with no reason to believe any of these things until I was with a friend and we saw something truly strange. The moon "transformed" into a color wheel and started to spin and then move around the sky for several minutes, causing us to freak the f out. Then it stopped moving, went back to it's original position, transformed back into the moon.

Several years later someone older told me a story unprovoked that was basically the same only they were alone when they saw it. I then shared my story with them. Even later than that I shared my story with another friend and then they said that they had also seen this bizarre thing, only they had been on mushrooms at the time they saw it.