Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Christian Q&A
06-25-2017, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 07:29 AM by Uno.)
Christian Q&A
This is a Christian questions & answers thread. The questions are to be respectful but straightforward, and will be posed in the spirit of wanting to understand Christianity and Christians. This is the intention and please allow for action to follow the said intention. If this is not for you, please find another thread.

Questions are for anyone to pose, but answers to the posed questions are to be put forth by Christians. I start with question 1) to 8), and the next question is of course 9) and so on for others adding questions. To keep the thread orderly, first quote a question and then provide an answer. We are different people and so not all questions nor answers will be interesting, but hopefully some will be interesting.

Wonder - to think or speculate curiously, desire to know something.
Wonder - to ask yourself questions or express a wish to know about something.
Wonder - to be filled with admiration, astonishment, amazement, or awe; marvel (often followed by at).
Wonder - astonishment at something awesomely mysterious or new to one's experience.
Wonder - to doubt is sometimes a small wonder.

1) I've only just started reading the Bible and so far this is the summarization: the earth and the inhabitants are created. Looking at the world around you, can you see the fingerprints of God? Do you find any indications that we live in a created reality?

2) What is a prayer? Is love a prayer?

3) How does one make an effective prayer compared to an ineffective prayer?

4) As the recipient goes, does it matter if the prayer is presented to Jesus, Christ or God?

5) How often do you pray?

6) What does "pray without ceasing mean"?

7) As a Christian, is prayer an obligation?

8) Can you tell about a memorable experience with prayer?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2017, 05:17 PM
RE: Christian Q&A
(06-25-2017 07:26 AM)Uno Wrote:  This is a Christian questions & answers thread. The questions are to be respectful but straightforward, and will be posed in the spirit of wanting to understand Christianity and Christians. This is the intention and please allow for action to follow the said intention. If this is not for you, please find another thread.

Questions are for anyone to pose, but answers to the posed questions are to be put forth by Christians. I start with question 1) to 8), and the next question is of course 9) and so on for others adding questions. To keep the thread orderly, first quote a question and then provide an answer. We are different people and so not all questions nor answers will be interesting, but hopefully some will be interesting.

Wonder - to be filled with admiration, astonishment, amazement, or awe; marvel (often followed by at).
Wonder - astonishment at something awesomely mysterious or new to one's experience.

1) I've only just started reading the Bible and so far this is the summarization: the earth and the inhabitants are created. Looking at the world around you, can you see the fingerprints of God? Do you find any indications that we live in a created reality?

4) As the recipient goes, does it matter if the prayer is presented to Jesus, Christ or God?

To me prayer is like a conversation. Not asking for things but more like what you would do if you were talking to maybe an old, trusted friend. The only thing I've asked for is help in removing the block that I tend to get when I pray. ie "I want to get to know you better God, but I want it to be a two way street, not just me talking to you. Please help me to do that."

R
06-26-2017, 12:03 AM
(06-25-2017 07:26 AM)Uno Wrote:  This is a Christian questions & answers thread. The questions are to be respectful but straightforward, and will be posed in the spirit of wanting to understand Christianity and Christians. This is the intention and please allow for action to follow the said intention. If this is not for you, please find another thread.

I think I'll do my best to answer all eight of these.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "fingerprints of God", but I'm going to assume you mean that figuratively and as a means to ask whether or not we see evidence of God's creation process. To which, I have to say yes. For the second question within the whole; about seeing indications that we live in a created world, again I have to say yes. Not because I believe in creationism, but rather because we know that at some point, everything in the universe had to have an origin, therefore, it was created by a force we may never understand. Science tells us that the closest idea we have is the "Big Bang" theory, but for there to be a "bang" there must be interacting substances that cause that "bang", which means there was something else already here, but then, what created that? Interacting substances don't simply create themselves, they had to come from something else, somewhere. Science can't explain what was created first, nor what happened that caused that creation in the first place, all science can do is explain it one step further, it doesn't actually define anything as an origin point, whether it's the "big bang" or otherwise.

2) Prayer is a method for one to communicate your thoughts directly to God. It's also, technically, a form of worship.

3) The concept of 'ineffective' versus 'effective' when it comes to prayer is human error. Let me explain: Prayer is for communication and worship, therefore, the very act of praying makes it successful, and by extension, fully effective in it's design. When it comes to the concept of praying to receive something or make something happen, i.e. pray for someone to get better, the idea is to believe fully that said something will happen. Prayer, in that case, is more of a focusing tool to get people in the right thought process, as it is believed that one's beliefs can cause change, especially as part of a collective. A lot of people also think that praying for some benefit is to ask God to do these things, but I personally think that God would rather us learn to take care of ourselves, rather than always ask for a miracle. In that regard, praying for the means to do that is a better idea, and is more likely what we'll get. When one prays, for example; for more money, God doesn't answer by tossing a bag of money at your door, instead, he opens up opportunities for you to earn more money at your job, or if you have no job, then one will open up for you, etc.

4) Jesus and Christ are the same individual. To answer the question; No, it all goes where it needs to in the long run, I've never seen indication to suggest otherwise.

5) Very rarely. I'm not a prayer kind of person, instead, I choose to meditate and open myself to what people might consider "the beyond" or whatever you wish to call it. Ether, if you will.

6) I've always felt that it meant to pray throughout one's life, rather than only praying a few times and never again. Of course, to do that, you'd have to pray rather regularly, nightly, for example, since the act of living in itself is dangerous and could end at any moment. lol

7) I've never felt that way about it. I see it more as a choice, rather than a necessity or obligation.

8) I've never had a memorable experience with prayer. Some people do, some don't. It's one of the reasons I don't tend to pray, myself; I don't get anything from doing it.

I hope that's provided some insight, although I should mention that these answers surely will be subjective, i.e. it depends on who's answering. While I do hold Christian beliefs, they are not the only ones I have, unlike most christians.
06-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Why pray? Is prayer necessary for Christians? Here are 5 reasons why Christians must pray:

1. We love Him. Just as a man and woman in love desire to be together and communicate, so we, if we love God, will desire to be with Him and to fellowship with Him in proportion to our love for Him. Thus, those who do not pray display a lack of true love for God.

2. We depend on God. He is our source. He is our life (Colossians 3:4). Through prayer, we receive the comfort, strength, and all the other resources we need in life, both naturally and spiritually. Prayer—relationship with God—is as necessary to the spiritual life as air is to the natural life.

3. Prayer allows us to resist temptation. Jesus warned His disciples to “watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation” (Matthew 26:41, NKJV). Living a life without prayer can leave us weak and exposed, giving an opportunity for the enemy to gain ground and potentially lure us into sin.

4. Prayer is necessary for people to invite God to act in salvation. God gave the earth to Adam and his descendants, so we must invite God to work here. If no one invites Him to work on earth, Satan—the “god of this age” because of humanity’s universal rebellion (2 Corinthians 4:4)—will dominate human affairs, and eventually the judgment of God will come. By inviting God to intercede often and specifically, multitudes can be saved who would otherwise be lost.

5. God commands us to pray. In Colossians 4:2, Paul writes: “Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving” (NKJV). Jesus also encouraged His followers to pray: “Then He [Jesus] spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart” (Luke 18:1, NKJV).

The need to pray is as great as the authority of God, who commands us to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17, NKJV). Prayer is so vital to all that God wants to do on the earth, and it is so essential to us, that He commands us to do it all the time. We should even deny ourselves sleep and food at times to pray more and with greater power (see Matthew 6:16; Luke 6:12; Luke 21:36; Colossians 4:2; 2 Corinthians 11:27). Or, as John Chrysostom wrote:

Prayer has subdued the strength of fire. It has bridled the rage of lions, hushed anarchy to rest, extinguished wars, appeased the elements, burst the chains of death, expanded the fates of heaven, assuaged diseases, dispelled frauds, rescued cities from destruction, staid the sun in its course, and arrested the progress of the thunderbolt. In this communion with God, there is an all-sufficient panoply, a treasure undiminished, a mine that is never exhausted, a sky unobscured by clouds, a heaven unruffled by the storm. It is the root, the fountain, the mother of a thousand blessings!

(06-26-2017 12:03 AM)Celestial Spirit Wrote:  

I think I'll do my best to answer all eight of these.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "fingerprints of God", but I'm going to assume you mean that figuratively and as a means to ask whether or not we see evidence of God's creation process. To which, I have to say yes. For the second question within the whole; about seeing indications that we live in a created world, again I have to say yes. Not because I believe in creationism, but rather because we know that at some point, everything in the universe had to have an origin, therefore, it was created by a force we may never understand. Science tells us that the closest idea we have is the "Big Bang" theory, but for there to be a "bang" there must be interacting substances that cause that "bang", which means there was something else already here, but then, what created that? Interacting substances don't simply create themselves, they had to come from something else, somewhere. Science can't explain what was created first, nor what happened that caused that creation in the first place, all science can do is explain it one step further, it doesn't actually define anything as an origin point, whether it's the "big bang" or otherwise.

2) Prayer is a method for one to communicate your thoughts directly to God. It's also, technically, a form of worship.

3) The concept of 'ineffective' versus 'effective' when it comes to prayer is human error. Let me explain: Prayer is for communication and worship, therefore, the very act of praying makes it successful, and by extension, fully effective in it's design. When it comes to the concept of praying to receive something or make something happen, i.e. pray for someone to get better, the idea is to believe fully that said something will happen. Prayer, in that case, is more of a focusing tool to get people in the right thought process, as it is believed that one's beliefs can cause change, especially as part of a collective. A lot of people also think that praying for some benefit is to ask God to do these things, but I personally think that God would rather us learn to take care of ourselves, rather than always ask for a miracle. In that regard, praying for the means to do that is a better idea, and is more likely what we'll get. When one prays, for example; for more money, God doesn't answer by tossing a bag of money at your door, instead, he opens up opportunities for you to earn more money at your job, or if you have no job, then one will open up for you, etc.

4) Jesus and Christ are the same individual. To answer the question; No, it all goes where it needs to in the long run, I've never seen indication to suggest otherwise.

5) Very rarely. I'm not a prayer kind of person, instead, I choose to meditate and open myself to what people might consider "the beyond" or whatever you wish to call it. Ether, if you will.

6) I've always felt that it meant to pray throughout one's life, rather than only praying a few times and never again. Of course, to do that, you'd have to pray rather regularly, nightly, for example, since the act of living in itself is dangerous and could end at any moment. lol

7) I've never felt that way about it. I see it more as a choice, rather than a necessity or obligation.

8) I've never had a memorable experience with prayer. Some people do, some don't. It's one of the reasons I don't tend to pray, myself; I don't get anything from doing it.

I hope that's provided some insight, although I should mention that these answers surely will be subjective, i.e. it depends on who's answering. While I do hold Christian beliefs, they are not the only ones I have, unlike most christians.
06-26-2017, 09:41 AM
(06-25-2017 07:26 AM)Uno Wrote:  1) I've only just started reading the Bible and so far this is the summarization: the earth and the inhabitants are created. Looking at the world around you, can you see the fingerprints of God? Do you find any indications that we live in a created reality?
This question reminds me of Acts 17: 24-28. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything. And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us, for "In him we live and move and have our being…

I identify with God as the ground of all being; a fundamental, primordial force, as well as, an elemental, mystical substance that is unadulterated potential with explicit intrinsic qualities that are alive within a pure awareness that biblically is defined as love. To me, love is the mystical substance of God's beingness. Qualities of this pure awareness include: Time (The ability to change states of consciousness.) Creativity (The ability to draw upon and act due to the resourcefulness of remembrance.) Evolution (The ability to learn, grow and change through experience.) Choice (The ability to choose one state over another.) Freedom (The ability to express one's being as it really is.)

In my understanding of God both creativity and evolution are necessarily two components that are intrinsic to God's beingness/consciousness. Certainly a greater consciousness system exists. Whether this system was created by God or simply evolved from within him, I don't know. When people think of evolution, many subscribe to the Darwinian theory survival of the fittest. I think this is wrong in that a survival of the fittest mentally can only lead to an end result of eventual annihilation. Evolution that is beneficial results from cooperation, respect, compassion, and mutual aid. We can see this in the world, as well as within ourselves. From this perspective yes, I can see the "fingerprints" of God in all that exist.

A paranormal experience I had may be related to this question.

As the journey is set in motion I'm in a state of deep gratitude when two beings of light appear to guide me. I feel their tremendous love and power radiating from their being and I'm aware that I have not gone anywhere, but I am in different surroundings. There is a velvety darkness all around, yet I can feel the darkness is populated with life, and I can hear the most beautiful music. As I take this in, I feel and see the eyes of maybe thousands of beings all around me as though I were in the center of them. The two beings are still with me, but I only feel their presence. I want to know who the other beings are and I realize they are not beings at all, but the aliveness or potential of the darkness, and I feel a powerful intention that radiates throughout the darkness. I recognize this intent as a level I'm aware of for healing, but intuitively know the healing level of intent is not the same level as the darkness. Actually there are no levels, more like interpenetrating dimensions might be a better description. Anyway, it is clear to me that this darkness is infused with intention.

I have the understanding that intent is how souls are brought into being. And this is also how we incarnate in a physical body. From what I understood, both are very similar, but take place in different realms of consciousness. My surroundings are changed again and I am surrounded by a cocoon of white light that has a golden hue, and feels incredibly peaceful. I could not believe how comfortable and at ease I felt, as though nothing could be more perfect than existing within this light. I don't have any metaphoric visions where I see distinct objects, but the light itself shows me that the soul intends itself through the various dimensions of physical consciousness as it incarnates the essence of itself throughout the body. In addition to the soul essence the intent is also an aspect of a stream of consciousness that is held in place by a single musical note. The musical note is a metaphor for the essence of God that passes through the soul and is a part of the soul's being. It is a musical note that begins from God's essence, passes through the soul, then through the soul's human essence. The vibration of the note does not diminish as it passes through from God to the physical. There's no middle man. The connection is direct.

I am once again surrounded by darkness, and I find myself alone. The darkness is different than before. I don't feel the aliveness of it and there is silence where previously the darkness was alive with music. I'm not afraid and still feel calm, but wonder where I'm at and what this darkness is. The next thing I notice is a light that looks like a single beautiful shining star in the night sky and I'm drawn to it. As I approach, it casts a golden hue like I saw from inside the light before, and I feel its love radiating outward and surrounding me. I had the strong desire to be inside the light then suddenly it disappears and I am the light radiating the same love outward. Someone, a man's spirit, approaches me and power from the light within me or the love that I am radiates out to this man and he disappears. The man is my teacher. The love that goes out from me is the same love I felt from the light being and I know I am that light being. I a little dazed by a feeling of awe, then suddenly I'm back in my body. I had not realized I'd ever left it.
06-26-2017, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017 11:01 PM by Deadworm.)
Who are these strange new posters?
Uno, the inventor of the card game with the same name? Blueud
Kai, the Greek word for "and." I guess that's her way of demonstrating her inclusive perspectives on religion. Frown
Rondele, a new rock group inspired by the the Shondells? Or just a fan of "Crimson and Clover?" Gawp
I am Dude, you road horses at a Dude Ranch, did you? Bandana

Hmmm. Why couldn't you 4 newbies choose a normal confident nickname like mine?

Sincerely,
Deadworm

P. Sl Well, at least Uno poses interesting questions which I shall ponder and address.
06-27-2017, 07:58 AM
(06-26-2017 10:55 PM)Deadworm Wrote:  Who are these strange new posters?
Uno, the inventor of the card game with the same name? Blueud
Kai, the Greek word for "and." I guess that's her way of demonstrating her inclusive perspectives on religion. Frown
Rondele, a new rock group inspired by the the Shondells? Or just a fan of "Crimson and Clover?" Gawp
I am Dude, you road horses at a Dude Ranch, did you? Bandana

Hmmm. Why couldn't you 4 newbies choose a normal confident nickname like mine?

Sincerely,
Deadworm

P. Sl Well, at least Uno poses interesting questions which I shall ponder and address.

What? I get a sad face?
In Swahili, Kai means lovable. Which I am Icontexto-emoticons-06-032x032
06-27-2017, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 12:58 PM by Uno.)
Thanks for the answers & comments.

Deadwood, you got some of the letters wrong in your username, you raunchy cowboy. Top hat PS, I look forward to your post.

Quote:Celestial Spirit: I hope that's provided some insight, although I should mention that these answers surely will be subjective, i.e. it depends on who's answering. While I do hold Christian beliefs, they are not the only ones I have, unlike most christians.

It does provide insight, and subjective is good. Subjective = inside looking out. I'm not a Christian and get to be outside looking in. Why the questions? Because I've dismissed Christianity in the past but the interest is growing due to getting to know Christianity through various Christian viewpoints.
06-27-2017, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 03:19 PM by Deadworm.)
The Bible is not a book of science. Yet the Genesis creation story can be construed to begin with a poetic allusion to the Big Bang:

"The earth was a FORMLESS VOID...And a WIND (= expansion, force) from God swept over the WATERS (- the void), and God said, "let there be light," and there was light (1:2-3)."

The ancient Hebrews use the word "waters" to refer to deep space. So creation for them begins with a divine expansion or force in the formless void resulting in light--precisely what the Big Bang theory postulates. The Big Bang doesn't move through space and time; rather, it creates space and time! But how did we get from this chaotic expansion or explosion to our ordered planet with life capable of reproducing life with ever increasing complex organs?

Atheist scientists reject creationism on the grounds that what we perceive as purpose-based structures (e. g. the eye) are in fact the product of random natural forces operating over vast periods of time.
The Bible acknowledges God's use of random forces, but contends that God exploits chance processes to reveal divine purpose.
The Bible teaches that at Creation God brought order out of chaos. But the Bible never teaches that God eliminated the forces of chaos. Thus, the Bible teaches that God does not micro-manage the laws of nature, but rather works creatively within a process of random divine "play" and blind "chance." This is especially evident in the creation theology of biblical Wisdom literature, which personifies Wisdom to take on the role we ascribe to "Mother Nature:"

"I (Lady Wisdom) was beside the master craftsman, delighting him day after day , EVER AT PLAY in his presence, AT PLAY EVERYWHERE aon his earth, delighting to be with the children of men (Proverbs 8:30-31)."
"All are victims of time and CHANCE (Ecclesiastes 9:11).

This vision of creation accounts for the destructive power of natural disasters like volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and hurricanes, but allows God to work through random processes and chance development to continually bring order and life out of chaos.

This vison of Creation raises 3 questions which will be addressed in my next planned post:
(1) What, if anything, exists prior to the Big Bang?
(2) Why is there something rather than nothing at all?
(3) Exactly what is this Creator that is alleged to be a more likely postulate than the eternal universe as an unintelligible brute fact?
06-27-2017, 04:33 PM
(06-25-2017 07:26 AM)Uno Wrote:  [b]

1) Of course, but then I believe in God. I also consider myself to have a fairly good grasp of science. Deep in my heart of hearts I have examined my belief and found that I believe in God. Indications that we live in a created reality? The fact that no matter how deep we delve in science there is still and unknown, possibly unknowable mystery at the most basic level of our knowledge.

2) Prayer is an attempted conversation with a deity. Love is not prayer. I love Sally Fields, but I haven't ever prayed to her.

3) An effective prayer? Understand that no matter what you pray for you are going to receive what is in God's plan. Paul stated that the Holy Spirit knows what to pray for on our behalf, even when we don't. Do your best to ask what God has planned for you. An ineffective prayer? In spite of the people that quote scripture and say that God will give you anything that you earnestly pray for and believe, the unstated prerequisite is that you not pray for something outside of God's will. If I earnestly ask God to allow me to do something immoral it isn't going to happen.

4) There are those that consider this a function of a triune God as stated by someone previously. There's also the doctrine that the Holy Spirit and Jesus intercede for us.

5)When I think about it. Probably not as often as I should.

6)I know a woman that stated that she never closes a prayer "amen" but instead tries to keep an open dialogue with God at all times. I'm not sure this is what Paul meant in that verse, but I'm sure he intended to convey that we should pray as often as we can.

7) I'm not really sure what you mean by obligation. In my belief having a dialogue with God would be necessary for the forgiveness of sin, so for anyone to be forgiven it would be necessary to pray at least once.

8) No, not really. Just understand that prayer for me is an inroad to self-improvement and emotional strength.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE