Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?
For more than a millennium, scholars have noticed a curious correlation: Atheists tend to be more intelligent than religious people.

It's unclear why this trend persists, but researchers of a new study have an idea: Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them.

"Intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities,"

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-ar...uffer99bfa
Bit misleading. Article should be named "Why Are Atheists Generally Thought Smarter Than Religious People?"
-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

The brain is like a sponge and is developing in the direction of thinking.
if by directing them to a religion ready to block and do not develop properly in a logical way.

možgani so kot goba in se razvijajo v smeri razmišljanja.
če jih usmerjaš v neko vero jih pripraviš,da se blokirajo in ne razvijajo v pravilno logično smer.
I believe it's about allocation of resources. A religious person is indoctrinated to a religion that tends to push away anything that doesn't help reinforce the notion of God (If we're talking about Christianity). The Bible has all of their answers. As such, they can focus on His teachings. An atheist isn't limited by that indoctrination, but has its own. They tend to be limited by the notion of no God. As such, their prioritized teachings are how they get their answers. The byproduct of slightly more logical processes is that they end up having a marginally better capacity for reason. However, all it is is a byproduct of their own indoctrination. There are plenty of really...reeaally stupid atheists.

My opinion: Agnostics might actually be smarter than both sides. By not closing themselves off to either possibility, they have greater access to the logic that atheists try to utilize. Also, by not closing themselves off to the possibility of something greater than themselves, they can push the limits of technology and reason to try to investigate all aspects of "God", lets say. Any collateral damage (being coincidental discoveries) are there-by available for all to benefit from. Ancient skeptics fall under the category of agnostic, in my opinion, because they considered themselves to be in pursuit of knowledge, not affirmation. They were concerned with both belief and knowledge, and wouldn't jump to a conclusion without the proper knowledge being present. Thus, their are either affirmations or "I don't know". There isn't any "That doesn't exist" without any evidence.
I guess a lion who overcomes the instinct to hunt would make it a more intelligent lion. If a gazelle overcomes the instinct to run from predators then that makes it a very smart gazelle. Perhaps there is a reason why humans have an instinct for something greater than themselves. Religion mixed with human pride is where religion goes off the rails and people divide themselves against others who dont think like they do, and it gets ugly, and it seems to be an inevitable result in religion. Humans do that with everything such as politics, educational schools of thought, philosophy, sports, etc. People will fight and feud and divide over anything, even over what color of carpet to put in their church, which I know of churches to split over. Almost everybody has that dumb pride that makes them think they are right and everybody who thinks differently is an idiot. I assure you, I know plenty of religious scholars who have a higher IQ than than most of us on this forum combined, so I would not let some arrogant and biased led scientific study make me think that I am so much smarter than a religious person. I am no longer religious but I have former colleagues who are very devoted to Christianity that are some of the most intelligent people I know.
(11-29-2017, 08:31 PM)KaelisRa Wrote: My opinion: Agnostics might actually be smarter than both sides. By not closing themselves off to either possibility, they have greater access to the logic that atheists try to utilize. Also, by not closing themselves off to the possibility of something greater than themselves, they can push the limits of technology and reason to try to investigate all aspects of "God", lets say. Any collateral damage (being coincidental discoveries) are there-by available for all to benefit from. Ancient skeptics fall under the category of agnostic, in my opinion, because they considered themselves to be in pursuit of knowledge, not affirmation. They were concerned with both belief and knowledge, and wouldn't jump to a conclusion without the proper knowledge being present. Thus, their are either affirmations or "I don't know". There isn't any "That doesn't exist" without any evidence.

I AGREE!!

It has always made me chuckle when I see people vehemently denying that God exists. Atheists say that you can not prove God exists. The fact is that you can not prove that God does not exist. So whether one chooses to be "Believer" or "Atheist" they are taking a leap of faith and ascribing to something that can not be proven. It is worse for the atheist I think. An atheist says "We must have proof!" yet they have none. A Christian (or other religion) says they believe by faith, which they do. A lot of atheists are just as passionate about their chosen belief as the "believers" are and they preach about it just as much too...

The wiser ones are the agnostics. They do not claim to know. This is the truth even going by the logic in the article. If one closes their mind to learning certain information because they are a believer the same would hold true if they chose to be a non believer. Both ends are closed minded..

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
(12-20-2017, 01:17 PM)CareTaker Wrote: The wiser ones are the agnostics. They do not claim to know. This is the truth even going by the logic in the article. If one closes their mind to learning certain information because they are a believer the same would hold true if they chose to be a non believer. Both ends are closed minded..

Could not have said it better, CT! Best way to summarize it all Bluesbrother
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep.
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. * Sunny Peach Blog ミ☆ 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

My grandmother thought it was a sin to listen to any kind of music that was not 'gospel'. She felt the same way about books unless it was for school. She wouldnt even allow a Bible dictionary. The only book you needed was the Bible.

Then again "smart" does not mean that one knows everything. According to the dictionary it means - mentally alert or knowledgeable. My grandmother was very alert. She was also very knowledgeable about many things like gardening, sewing, cooking and the Bible.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey  ~^*White face*^~  Paranormal Questions & Answers
Pewn Research does a poll every year about... well, quite a few things, actually... but one of them is world population by religion. Sadly, they don't include Atheism or Agnosticism, but they do include Unaffiliated. By extrapolating from a different poll about US Population by religion that includes all three, I can get a base percentage for the three groups.

The point is, the world, in 2017, had:

2.3 Billion Christians (this number includes all denominations)
1.8 Billion Muslims
1.1 Billion Hindus
864 Million Unaffiliated (Believes in some kind of God but doesn't define themselves.)
500 Million Bhuddists
400 Million Folk Religions
204 Million Agnotics
120 Million Atheists
100 Million Jews
3-4 Million Shintos
1-3 Million Wiccans
1 Million Neo-Pagan

So my question is this.. if only about 3 % of the world's population is Atheist, why would scholars hold the view that Atheists are generally more intelligent than people who hold to a specific religious belief? Surely they don't think only 3% of the world is intelligent. My guess that this is a myth perpetuated by a small group of scholars who happen to be Atheists.

Albert Einstein believed in a God. The quantum physicist Erwin Schrödinger, of Schrödinger's Cat fame, believed in God. Plato, Aristotle, Galileo, Picasso, Pascal, Hegel, Newton, Tolstoy, Beethoven, Bacon, Kierkegaard, Pasteur, Shakespeare, Descartes, Aquinas, Copernicus, Kant, Heisenberg, Wagner... all brilliant people who changed the world and all held to one faith or another. And that doesn't even touch on the Muslims and Hindus and Bhuddists. I'm pretty sure Sun Tzu was pretty darn intelligent. Mahatma Ghandi may or may not have been 'book smart,' but it's hard to argue that he was a genius when it came to interpersonal intelligence. Rumi, one of the greatest poets of all time, was a Muslim.

Oh, and just so I don't leave you guys out, Charles Darwin and Marie Curie were Agnostic. Simone de Beauvoir, Stephen Hawking, Karl Marx, Alan Turing, Friedrich Nietzsche and Thomas Edison were Atheists. Although, Nietzsche was a big Jesus fan... he just didn't view him as divine.

Those are just some random examples. The main point here is, out of a population of 7.6 billion people, the idea that 324 million Atheists and Agnostics are more intelligent than the other 7 billion is rather illogical. What? Are all of them something like Mensa level geniuses?

Oh wait, no... one of Mensa's core tenets is to be "free from all racial or religious distinctions." Quoted straight off their website.

There is no correspondence between intelligence and religious belief. I see 3 options. You can admit that you have no way of knowing and be Agnostic, you can have faith in something you have no evidence for and hold that faith, or you can ignore scientific standards and assume that 'lack of proof' for one thing is 'proof' of another, and choose Atheism.

I hope this didn't seem like I was attacking Atheists or Agnostics. I have good friends who are both and they're quite intelligent people 8 )
[Image: Newest%20Signature_zpsegrtkw8d.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mika for this post:
  • CareTaker
It's not that they are smarter per se. They are quick to resolve an issue themselves rather than believe in faith that it will miraculously fix itself through divine power from their deity.
[Image: space.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many religious people support war? drblow 63 33,269 11-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Graveyard Hound
  Atheists El Zilcho 57 23,830 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Last Post: eyepriestess