Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From sleep paralysis to insomnia
Nothing too juicy here, but thought I would share my experiences. I had several experiences with sleep paralysis over the years, and man can they be scary experiences! The first time I had an experience was when I was about five years old and I was sleeping in my parents bed with them. I woke up on my back unable to move or speak. I was able to move my eyes and mouth, and was able to cry which got the attention of my parents. I told them I couldn't move and they brushed it off as I had a bad dream. It happened earlier here and there over the years, and I learned that if I did not fight the paralysis with forcing myself to move that it would soon dissipate. Sometimes I would just close my eyes and go back to sleep, so it became a non issue. That all came to a head when I had the scariest experience of my life about ten years ago. I'm a stomach sleeper who usually has my face buried in a pillow when I sleep, and on this occasion I woke up and was in a paralyzed state, but I was almost face down in my pillow with my mouth and nose fully smothered. I panicked, and my heart began to race and beat so hard that I felt like I was starting to have a heart attack. I guess that was maybe just a panic attack? LOL! Anyway, since this experience I am no longer a deep sleeper and I have pretty bad insomnia when trying to fall asleep. My mind just races and races. I also am paranoid with how I'm positioned, so I'm never really comfortable either. I guess I'm not really looking for answers or a resolution, I just thought I'd share my story. Also, I don't recall ever having any thing strange happening around me or seeing shadows or anything while in this state, which I am damn happy about!
Something like that happened to me when I was home alone except I then thought a scary clown came in my room and was holding me down. This was when I was like 18 but it still freaked me out not being able to move.
(12-21-2016, 08:44 PM)hskrguy55 Wrote: Nothing too juicy here, but thought I would share my experiences. I had several experiences with sleep paralysis over the years, and man can they be scary experiences! The first time I had an experience was when I was about five years old and I was sleeping in my parents bed with them. I woke up on my back unable to move or speak. I was able to move my eyes and mouth, and was able to cry which got the attention of my parents. I told them I couldn't move and they brushed it off as I had a bad dream. It happened earlier here and there over the years, and I learned that if I did not fight the paralysis with forcing myself to move that it would soon dissipate. Sometimes I would just close my eyes and go back to sleep, so it became a non issue. That all came to a head when I had the scariest experience of my life about ten years ago. I'm a stomach sleeper who usually has my face buried in a pillow when I sleep, and on this occasion I woke up and was in a paralyzed state, but I was almost face down in my pillow with my mouth and nose fully smothered. I panicked, and my heart began to race and beat so hard that I felt like I was starting to have a heart attack. I guess that was maybe just a panic attack? LOL! Anyway, since this experience I am no longer a deep sleeper and I have pretty bad insomnia when trying to fall asleep. My mind just races and races. I also am paranoid with how I'm positioned, so I'm never really comfortable either. I guess I'm not really looking for answers or a resolution, I just thought I'd share my story. Also, I don't recall ever having any thing strange happening around me or seeing shadows or anything while in this state, which I am dadgum happy about!

sleep paralysis: thy spirit is gone from the body, it takes a few seconds, so you can not move
(12-22-2016, 05:38 AM)rudidur Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 08:44 PM)hskrguy55 Wrote: Nothing too juicy here, but thought I would share my experiences. I had several experiences with sleep paralysis over the years, and man can they be scary experiences! The first time I had an experience was when I was about five years old and I was sleeping in my parents bed with them. I woke up on my back unable to move or speak. I was able to move my eyes and mouth, and was able to cry which got the attention of my parents. I told them I couldn't move and they brushed it off as I had a bad dream. It happened earlier here and there over the years, and I learned that if I did not fight the paralysis with forcing myself to move that it would soon dissipate. Sometimes I would just close my eyes and go back to sleep, so it became a non issue. That all came to a head when I had the scariest experience of my life about ten years ago. I'm a stomach sleeper who usually has my face buried in a pillow when I sleep, and on this occasion I woke up and was in a paralyzed state, but I was almost face down in my pillow with my mouth and nose fully smothered. I panicked, and my heart began to race and beat so hard that I felt like I was starting to have a heart attack. I guess that was maybe just a panic attack? LOL! Anyway, since this experience I am no longer a deep sleeper and I have pretty bad insomnia when trying to fall asleep. My mind just races and races. I also am paranoid with how I'm positioned, so I'm never really comfortable either. I guess I'm not really looking for answers or a resolution, I just thought I'd share my story. Also, I don't recall ever having any thing strange happening around me or seeing shadows or anything while in this state, which I am dadgum happy about!

sleep paralysis: thy spirit is gone from the body, it takes a few seconds, so you can not move
I'm not well versed on the spiritual aspect of sleep paralysis, but my experiences have been where my mind wakes up and body has yet to. At least that is what I've interpreted it as. If/when it happens again, I'll work on being more aware. I'm not sure that taking it to the next level and having OBE or anything like that is something I want, but it is intriguing.
I have a different take on sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucination.

I had some weird experiences both up and about, and lying in bed. My partner experienced the same things I did, and without being told about them, he described them exactly the way I experienced them.

So that was very strange.

That said, I think differently about the phenomena. I think it was produced because I was going through extreme trauma and grief at the time. But I do think that there was actual phenomena. It just wasn't independent.

The experiences are very real, but they're hollow. By that I mean that they aren't independent and they are only external to the extent that people allow them to be. If you realize you're in control of it, you can stop it. You can even end the so-called "sleep paralysis" type episodes. It's all about getting yourself back in balance.

Everyone always wants to know about the phenomena, although that's not what the focus should really be. The phenomena is only "real" in the sense that it's experienced. But truly, the phenomena consists of phantoms from the psyche. Your "inner demons" somehow become outer ones. That can be a problem, of course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Paralysis Explained TheGuy 3 1,323 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Vultyrex
  Don't believe this was sleep paralysis and need feedback MuZach87 4 2,526 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: CareTaker
  Not sure if it was sleep paralysis but Somethingorother 11 4,936 10-19-2017, 02:46 AM
Last Post: rudidur
  Have You Ever Exerienced Sleep Paralysis? Biggun 101 106,082 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Ghostly Lady
  Sleep Paralysis - Green Mist chopin 3 17,426 01-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: anim8or