Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Gender of God.
12-16-2016, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 06:45 AM by Janus.)
The Gender of God.
A friend passed this link onto me, as they thought it was worth reading.
I link to it here as I hope others here will find it's views of interest too.
http://www.transchristians.org/book/hijr...der-of-god

Quote:God has no sex. God is neither female nor male. God does not have genitals, much less a vagina, penis, or vulva. God does not have gametes, neither large nor small. God does not have genes, much less X or Y chromosomes. God does not have secondary sex characteristics, not breasts, hips, shoulders, facial hair, or a menstrual cycle. In the literal sense, and sex is entirely literal, God has no sex. This should surprise no one.

We all believe in something greater than ourselves. Even if it's just the blind forces of chance. Ambassador G'Kar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: The Gender of God.
(12-16-2016 06:45 AM)Janus Wrote:  A friend passed this link onto me, as they thought it was worth reading.
I link to it here as I hope others here will find it's views of interest too.
http://www.transchristians.org/book/hijr...der-of-god

Quote:God has no sex. God is neither female nor male. God does not have genitals, much less a vagina, penis, or vulva. God does not have gametes, neither large nor small. God does not have genes, much less X or Y chromosomes. God does not have secondary sex characteristics, not breasts, hips, shoulders, facial hair, or a menstrual cycle. In the literal sense, and sex is entirely literal, God has no sex. This should surprise no one.

Oy, oy. Gods are male.
Goddesses are female.

Merry Christmas!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2016, 11:04 AM
If you're talking the Abrahamic G-d, then no, it wasn't viewed by Jews to have a body.

Although many places in scripture and Talmud speak of various parts of G-d's body (the Hand of G-d, G-d's wings, etc.) or speak of G-d in anthropomorphic terms (G-d walking in the garden of Eden, G-d laying tefillin, etc.), Judaism firmly maintains that G-d has no body. Any reference to G-d's body is simply a figure of speech, a means of making G-d's actions more comprehensible to beings living in a material world. Much of Rambam's Guide for the Perplexed is devoted to explaining each of these anthropomorphic references and proving that they should be understood figuratively.

We are forbidden to represent G-d in a physical form. That is considered idolatry. The sin of the Golden Calf incident was not that the people chose another deity, but that they tried to represent G-d in a physical form.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...V_BooITxjg
12-22-2016, 12:26 PM
(12-22-2016 11:04 AM)ChaosRose Wrote:  If you're talking the Abrahamic G-d, then no, it wasn't viewed by Jews to have a body.

Although many places in scripture and Talmud speak of various parts of G-d's body (the Hand of G-d, G-d's wings, etc.) or speak of G-d in anthropomorphic terms (G-d walking in the garden of Eden, G-d laying tefillin, etc.), Judaism firmly maintains that G-d has no body. Any reference to G-d's body is simply a figure of speech, a means of making G-d's actions more comprehensible to beings living in a material world. Much of Rambam's Guide for the Perplexed is devoted to explaining each of these anthropomorphic references and proving that they should be understood figuratively.

We are forbidden to represent G-d in a physical form. That is considered idolatry. The sin of the Golden Calf incident was not that the people chose another deity, but that they tried to represent G-d in a physical form.

Sheesh. It's 'G-D', not 'G-d'.
D'ark enerGy = Garry Denke

Merry Christmas!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2016, 05:09 PM
(12-22-2016 12:26 PM)Garry Denke Wrote:  
(12-22-2016 11:04 AM)ChaosRose Wrote:  If you're talking the Abrahamic G-d, then no, it wasn't viewed by Jews to have a body.

Sheesh. It's 'G-D', not 'G-d'.
D'ark enerGy = Garry Denke

Merry Christmas!

LOL. G-D, it is.
02-16-2017, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 10:01 PM by ByGoneYrs120.)
I have to agree that "God" is beyond the Human condition and is neither male or female. God is just God and can not be defined in our limited Human understandings. Remember too that "God" gave us "Faith" and it is our own Human nature that created "religion" to put understanding to "God" and how to "worship" "God" in "Faith".

[Image: bygone1.gif]
02-17-2017, 02:44 PM
The one I worship, God (zilla) is a female, no doubt of that
02-17-2017, 04:32 PM
LOL @ nawal you are too funny!!!

[Image: bygone1.gif]
02-22-2017, 04:32 AM
In Christianity and Catholicism, God is a father, Jesus is a son. Both of those are Male.
02-22-2017, 11:17 PM
(02-22-2017 04:32 AM)CryHavoc Wrote:  In Christianity and Catholicism, God is a father, Jesus is a son. Both of those are Male.

Right, but we also see in scripture that God revealed himself in terms that mankind can understand. To my mind defining God in such an organic term as male or female is like trying to say gravity is male or female. In my personal view God can't be defined in human terms.

Just what I believe.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE