Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Religious fanatics or Psychological issue?
11-09-2016, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 06:46 AM by UglyNRude.)
Religious fanatics or Psychological issue?
First let me state this post isn't about bashing religion. Its instead about what drives the fanatic. What drives a person to go beyond a normal belief in god? Why do people who hit bottom often use it as a crutch?

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), a strong and passionate belief in a deity or higher power, to the point where it impairs one’s ability to make conscientious decisions about common sense matters, will now be classified as a mental illness.

The controversial ruling comes after a 5-year study by the APA showed devoutly religious people often suffered from anxiety, emotional distress, hallucinations, and paranoia. The study stated that those who perceived God as punitive was directly related to their poorer health, while those who viewed God as benevolent did not suffer as many mental problems. The religious views of both groups often resulted in them being disconnected from reality.
http://www.thenewsnerd.com/health/apa-to...l-illness/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2016, 11:52 AM
RE: Religious fanatics or Psychological issue?
So .....you are saying that you don't know the difference?

I don't think that there is a difference,I think that religious fanatics probably have psychological issues.
11-09-2016, 12:02 PM
(11-09-2016 11:52 AM)Belgarion Wrote:  So .....you are saying that you don't know the difference?

I don't think that there is a difference,I think that religious fanatics probably have psychological issues.

Yes I do and I would like to thank you for inspiring this post
11-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Oh im not a religious fanatic,I haven't even been to Church since I was 7,I believe that you replied to one of my other posts and I think that you are the dude with issues,obviously you have a objection for probably everything and everyone just so you have a reason to say something.

Seriously,I bet that if I wanted to waste my time I could look back through your posts and see that you object to everything just to do it,I mean your name says it all, I bet in real life you are completely ignored a absolute NON ENTITY so you go on websites where you can be anonymous and heard at the same time.....have you ever considered therapy?

I don't even read the Bible I just read the news everyday and the evidence for the end of the world happening now is overwhelming, you'd have to be a idiot to not see it.

It says in the Bible the that ay the end times species of animals will die off by the thousands and thats really happening,how do you explain that?

I bet that you don't even read the news correct? Because you don't like being reminded of a world that you are part of right?

You should check it out man the news is cool.
11-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Personally I would encourage you to go back and read UglyNRude's previous threads, they are full of valid information.
11-09-2016, 09:09 PM
(11-09-2016 01:49 PM)Belgarion Wrote:  I don't even read the Bible I just read the news everyday and the evidence for the end of the world happening now is overwhelming, you'd have to be a idiot to not see it.

It says in the Bible the that ay the end times species of animals will die off by the thousands and thats really happening,how do you explain that?

I was going to ask where the Bible says that, but then I read the prior paragraph again.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
11-10-2016, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 05:55 AM by Janus.)
As an ex social worker who has worked in the mental health field for several years, I read some posts here & the memories come flooding back.
(11-09-2016 06:33 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:  What drives a person to go beyond a normal belief in god? Why do people who hit bottom often use it as a crutch?

It is in general a need for black & white in their life. One of the common traits of mental illness is rigidity of thought & the need for absolutes.
I remember one evening saying to a girl. Do want salt & vinegar with your chips. She looked at me with terror in her eyes. Two choices were too much for her at that moment.
I quickly changed & said. You always have salt & vinegar with your chips don't you? With a single & leading question & I saw her relax.
Many people cope with mental illness perfectly OK, with no medication & no support. But that rigidity of though, is a very common coping mechanism.
The bible & religion in general takes away the need to think for ones self. It often contains answers that are ambiguous & thus that can be rigidly adhered to in any way your disorganised thought pattern desires.
Mental illness is often a frightening thing to experience, so belonging to a group of like minded people can sometimes be very comforting.
And of course there are those drawn to religion because it is more acceptable to them than say a Neo Nazi group. Yet it allows them the same bigotry within certain Christian groups, together with the defence that it's my religious freedom to hate. But that again is rigidity of thought.

We all believe in something greater than ourselves. Even if it's just the blind forces of chance. Ambassador G'Kar.
11-10-2016, 09:39 PM
(11-10-2016 05:38 AM)Janus Wrote:  And of course there are those drawn to religion because it is more acceptable to them than say a Neo Nazi group. Yet it allows them the same bigotry within certain Christian groups, together with the defence that it's my religious freedom to hate. But that again is rigidity of thought.

Those people, of course, being those that have problems already. Hate and bigotry are not taught as precepts of normal mainstream Christian religions.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
11-11-2016, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 02:15 AM by Janus.)
(11-10-2016 09:39 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 05:38 AM)Janus Wrote:  And of course there are those drawn to religion because it is more acceptable to them than say a Neo Nazi group. Yet it allows them the same bigotry within certain Christian groups, together with the defence that it's my religious freedom to hate. But that again is rigidity of thought.

Those people, of course, being those that have problems already. Hate and bigotry are not taught as precepts of normal mainstream Christian religions.

I was looking at what one news site saw as the 10 most dangerous religious cults in the world currently & surprisingly the Scientologists only made it in at number 10 & that despite it having Sea Org & a secret Police group called the Office of Special Affairs.
However a large proportion of the 10, are American Christian churches & of course the KKK who like to be seen as Christians.
It seems several of the more extreme churches in America, are separating from their original extreme beliefs & foundations to go out alone. Making them fit the profile of a cult.
Not that I know what the profile of a cult is. However someone did once suggest it was a fanatical group that was too small to be classified as a minority.

We all believe in something greater than ourselves. Even if it's just the blind forces of chance. Ambassador G'Kar.
11-11-2016, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 03:40 AM by ChaosRose.)
KKK members are Christian. Not all of them belong to a typical Christian sect (although some are just Protestants). Some belong to the Christian Identity movement, and they believe that Jews are the literal spawn of Satan. They also believe in Jesus, but they imbue racial overtones to various bible quotes including the tares in the wheat and that story about Jesus essentially calling some woman a dog (they speculate on what color her skin was). They have some pretty creative translations of the original Hebrew, as well, that leads them to their conclusion that Jews are the children of Cain who they believe laid with Lilith or something.

There are all kinds of variations in the ways that people interpret the bible. Theirs is different...I'll give you that. But it doesn't make them not Christian. Christians are believers in Christ as their Savior. They can still check that box.

(11-09-2016 01:49 PM)Belgarion Wrote:  Oh im not a religious fanatic,I haven't even been to Church since I was 7,I believe that you replied to one of my other posts and I think that you are the dude with issues,obviously you have a objection for probably everything and everyone just so you have a reason to say something.

Seriously,I bet that if I wanted to waste my time I could look back through your posts and see that you object to everything just to do it,I mean your name says it all, I bet in real life you are completely ignored a absolute NON ENTITY so you go on websites where you can be anonymous and heard at the same time.....have you ever considered therapy?

I don't even read the Bible I just read the news everyday and the evidence for the end of the world happening now is overwhelming, you'd have to be a idiot to not see it.

I bet that you don't even read the news correct? Because you don't like being reminded of a world that you are part of right?

You should check it out man the news is cool.

Ok...normally, I wouldn't agree with you, but we just elected Orange Hitler, so it might very well be the end of the world. At least the end of the free world.
I think the key is impairment.

Most people can still function while also having religious beliefs. If you're one of those people who can't go to work because you're monitoring your ham radio for the sounds of trumpets ushering in the Rapture...then yeah...you might need some help.