Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Been close
05-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Been close
Reading this forum prompted me to think about the times I was close to dying.

I have been close 3 times. Both due to anaphylaxis.

1st time was when I did not know about my allergies. I was 35 and was out having lunch at a semier and I started to eat a rice dish and immediately I got this raspy sore throat and started to feel unwell, so I decioded to drive home but as I got to my home town I started to feel chest pains so as I had to pass my doctors clinic I stopped there and while talking to the receptionist I collapsed and started to struggle for air. The receptionist rang for an Ambulance as all the doctors were out visiting paitents at that particular time. The ambulance arrive and I was quite blue and they recognised it was anaphylaxis and injected me with Adrenaline and took me to hospital. I was about 5mins away from dying.

2nd time I was eating leek soup and started to feel bad and was sick, my face started to itch and began having breathing problems, so I injected myself with adrenaline and went to hospital but I kept relapsing after each injection so they kept me in.

3rd time was 24 hours after the 2nd time. Still in hospital the consultant decided to do a skin prick test. So they started and put walnut on first and pricked my skin and immediatly I started to react and within 30sec I unconsciousness. They rest I was told about afterwards how 11 people suddenly swarmed around my bed with an alarm going and they were injecting straight into my jugular. I came round about 6 hours later with my heart doing 180 bpm on the monitor as I was so pumped with adrenaline.

So close 3 times but on the last session when I was unconsciousness I remember nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 12:03 PM
RE: Been close
That's scary. Did the doctors suggest an EpiPen?
05-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Yes they did right after my first. I have to carry 3 with me as each one will give around 8 mins of potential reflief and with Ambulance response times and also how quicker my reactions to allergans I have 3.

The first one was quite surreal process, evan though I was struggling to get air into my lungs I was at peace and not at all worried. The 2nd and 3rd times though I was quite worked up a few days afterwards.
05-11-2016, 06:59 PM
I don't really think this was close but I did lose consciousness. When I was 19 I did a lot of scuba and snorkeling. I was at a freshwater spring in Florida and pushed my breath holding and free dove down past 80 feet deep. By that time I was fighting for air. I started ascending to the surface but around 30 feet from the surface everything started getting dark. I pulled the lanyard on my buoyancy CO2 cartridge to float me the rest of the way and just before going out I cleared my snorkel so that I could breath as soon as I broke the surface. I don't remember breaking the surface but next thing I knew I was floating on the surface and breathing through my snorkel. My body was spasming either from CO2 or lack of oxygen and I just kind of floated on the surface and quivered. A few seconds later I was okay again, but I didn't push diving that deep anymore. One thing. They say your life flashes before your eyes and I had the impression that mine did.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
05-13-2016, 07:55 AM
(05-11-2016 06:59 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote:  I don't really think this was close but I did lose consciousness. When I was 19 I did a lot of scuba and snorkeling. I was at a freshwater spring in Florida and pushed my breath holding and free dove down past 80 feet deep. By that time I was fighting for air. I started ascending to the surface but around 30 feet from the surface everything started getting dark. I pulled the lanyard on my buoyancy CO2 cartridge to float me the rest of the way and just before going out I cleared my snorkel so that I could breath as soon as I broke the surface. I don't remember breaking the surface but next thing I knew I was floating on the surface and breathing through my snorkel. My body was spasming either from CO2 or lack of oxygen and I just kind of floated on the surface and quivered. A few seconds later I was okay again, but I didn't push diving that deep anymore. One thing. They say your life flashes before your eyes and I had the impression that mine did.
Wow. I do have admiration for free divers. I can not hold my breath for long :-)
05-13-2016, 07:21 PM
(05-13-2016 07:55 AM)Capt-Zeanie Wrote:  
(05-11-2016 06:59 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote:  ...and free dove down past 80 feet deep.
Wow. I do have admiration for free divers. I can not hold my breath for long :-)

80-something feet is my personal best. That's nothing considering pearl divers do 120 feet pretty routinely and the world record is more than 300 feet.

-DFB

05-14-2016, 02:01 AM
80ft is a long way. How do you control the ear pressure.

My ears hurt with pressure when I used to dive off a 30ft high diving board into around 25ft deep pool.
05-14-2016, 09:02 AM
You can equalize pressure or "pop" your ears the same as you do when you go up in an airplane. I can do it by just working my jaw, but a lot of people have to hold their nose and blow. That's why a good quality scuba mask will either have a rubber nose or rubber pockets on either side of the nose.

-DFB