Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Annoys You Most About Paranormal Tv Shows?
For me the list is endless but this is one that always stands out and gets to me.

When someone says something to the effect of "I heard/saw/felt something but nobody was there."

You will hear something like this on virtually every episode of any show, both from witnesses and supposed "investigators" (who should know better if they knew anything at all about the subject they are supposedly an expert in).

To say something like this is sad enough, but the fact that it gets through the editing/post-production process shows that everyone involved has zero credibility or knowledge regarding the paranormal.
Same things that irritate me about all TV shows. 1) commercials, 2) the fake suspense when they do something like hear a strange noise or say something like "What did you discover?" Then everyone looks at each other with fake surprise, they go to 1) commercial, then come back and you find out the fake suspense wasn't much, after all.
-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

Bad reenactments.
The people who watch them and copy them in real life.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Unnecessary gore and cheap jump scares. The background music that changes to a suspense tune whenever anything odd happens, even when it's not paranormal. When the hosts and producers exaggerate and falsify the history and activity of the locations. Stupid tough-guy videography of the hosts and guests. Having the camera focused mainly on the hosts just to show their reaction to something they cannot/will not allow us to verify. Constantly investigating in the dark.
The hero is brave in deeds as well as words - Aesop

Please all, and you will please none - Aesop
All of the above.
The idiocy it breeds making it that much more impossible for those who really know to be believed.
"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
(03-31-2016, 05:36 PM)New Mexico Wrote: For me the list is endless but this is one that always stands out and gets to me.

When someone says something to the effect of "I heard/saw/felt something but nobody was there."

You will hear something like this on virtually every episode of any show, both from witnesses and supposed "investigators" (who should know better if they knew anything at all about the subject they are supposedly an expert in).

To say something like this is sad enough, but the fact that it gets through the editing/post-production process shows that everyone involved has zero credibility or knowledge regarding the paranormal.

Just a few. They see something but the camera is on them. They hear something but most of the time is not picked up by the mikes. Too loud "mood music" or background music. Even if there's something to hear the music covers it up. Too much screaming and/or cussing. Most Haunted was the worse for this.
For me it's got to be on "ghost hunting shows" when the investigator is in a 16th Century German castle or something trying to talk to ghosts in English...

Also on ghost hunting shows, especially stuff like "most haunted" when something happens and suddenly the cameras pointing at the floor, everyone's screaming, they run, then 5 minutes later someones looking down the camera panting saying some crap like "we heard a noise" or "something touched me". You're asking for a response, stop either pretending to get a response, or being mega surprised at getting what you ask for.

There's a lot that bugs me, but those two really grind my gears.

Llyr
-

Life is short and pleasures few
And holes the ship and drowns the crew.
But oh, but oh
How very blue the sea is.

-
Camera cuts and build up suspense for an effing knock.
[Image: space.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What paranormal shows are the best? Fiona 11 8,528 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Last Post: 1TxLady
  Paranormal, haunting shows suzee 8 3,933 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Last Post: suzee