Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can you tell if it's radio interference?
03-07-2016, 01:22 PM
How can you tell if it's radio interference?
I have some EVP samples that I want to analyze further, and some of them are possibly from radio interference. How do investigators rule out these instances? Is there a defining characteristic of radio interference compared to other EVP?

I use a program called audacity that is able to plot sounds on Spectrograms. Is there a tall tell sign of radio interference visible when you look at stuff like this?

Also I should point out that the recorder I use is an Olympus VN-7200. Is this even capable of picking up radio noise?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 01:30 PM by Darkforeboding.)
RE: How can you tell if it's radio interference?
I'm not familiar with either piece of equipment. As for the recorder, does it have anything in it that conducts electricity? Then it is susceptible to picking up radio interference.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
03-07-2016, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 02:36 PM by UglyNRude.)
In the Olympus manual for the vn-7200 you get these warnings.

The recorder may malfunction
if it is used in a location where
it is subject to a magnetic/
electromagnetic field, radio
waves, or high voltage, such
as near a TV set, microwave,
video game, loud speakers,
large monitor unit, TV/radio
tower, or transmission towers.
Avoid recording or playing back
near cellular phones or other
wireless equipment, as they may
cause interference and noise.

Now you can also pick up internal noises as circuits turn on and off.
I always suggest using a search to look at a map of cell, radio, towers and antennas. Link below. I will also say that the higher prices recorders pick up less evp. So that should give people a clue.
Now when doing evp research the towers here
http://www.antennasearch.com/

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
03-07-2016, 07:46 PM
(03-07-2016 01:48 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:  In the Olympus manual for the vn-7200 you get these warnings.

The recorder may malfunction
if it is used in a location where
it is subject to a magnetic/
electromagnetic field, radio
waves, or high voltage, such
as near a TV set, microwave,
video game, loud speakers,
large monitor unit, TV/radio
tower, or transmission towers.
Avoid recording or playing back
near cellular phones or other
wireless equipment, as they may
cause interference and noise.

Now you can also pick up internal noises as circuits turn on and off.
I always suggest using a search to look at a map of cell, radio, towers and antennas. Link below. I will also say that the higher prices recorders pick up less evp. So that should give people a clue.
Now when doing evp research the towers here
http://www.antennasearch.com/

That's a useful link, thank you. Does anybody have an example of an EVP that is confirmed to be radio interference?
03-08-2016, 04:00 AM
With all the interference you see listed for your recorder by the manufacturer how could you even make a claim you capture something that has never been proven to be? It states radio waves interfere with it. If you study other recorders it also warns about interference. But paranormal investigators want to believe its the dead suddenly able to manipulate a recorder. Use critical thinking. Facts or fairy tale?

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
03-08-2016, 05:17 AM
You may also want to use this as a guide.
http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/...20EVP.html

03-08-2016, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 06:09 AM by albie.)
If it were radio interference then you'd hear sentences not single words as you get in evps. And you'd hear mundane, random sentences. Often evps are answers to questions.

Then there's the spirit box. This sweeps frequencies so fast that it would be impossible to pick up even a single word. Often the words captured are covering several sweeps.
03-08-2016, 06:15 AM
Single words... it says die now or dyno or dont know or on and on. Pareidolia ... How does a ghost talk? they have no voice box ... oh but its easy to think a ghost can alter radio stations ... makes perfect sense.

03-08-2016, 08:47 AM
There is ONE method of guaranteeing that EVP's are not caused by radio interference. If the power supply (battery if possible), recorder, and microphone are all enclosed in a grounded metal box it will shield the equipment from interference. It would be most ideal if the recorder was enclosed in one box and the microphone in another box with shielded cable between to keep noise from the recorder from being picked up by the microphone. This set up can be further enhanced by putting soundproof material inside the box to filter out bumps and jars from outside the box.

The microphone itself can be directed out of a hole in this box. A better arrangement would be to direct the microphone out of a "sound horn' since sound can be directed in a curve but electromagnetic interference can only be deflected by metal or another conductor.

Why don't paranormal investigators do this? The few that I've read about that tried it complain that it makes the EVP detector "too quiet."

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
03-08-2016, 02:59 PM
(03-08-2016 04:00 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:  With all the interference you see listed for your recorder by the manufacturer how could you even make a claim you capture something that has never been proven to be? It states radio waves interfere with it. If you study other recorders it also warns about interference. But paranormal investigators want to believe its the dead suddenly able to manipulate a recorder. Use critical thinking. Facts or fairy tale?

Okay well how can I prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt to be from the radio waves, tv, etc.? How can I say for certain where the origin of a voice comes from?