Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kansas
02-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Kansas
Atchison:

Tuck U Inn at Glick Mansion: This historic mansion, located in the infamously haunted town of Atchison, has hosted numerous paranormal investigators over the years. The owners are very friendly and the small hotel gets pretty good reviews. The mansion is over 100 years old and at one point was the governor's house. Well worth a stop if doing a ghost tour!

http://www.glickmansion.com/

Lawrence:

Eldridge Hotel: Located on the corner of 7th and Massachusetts street in downtown, this hotel has history dating back to the Civil War. The first hotel was built in 1855 and was a popular abolitionist hangout during the "Bleeding Kansas" days. A year after it opened, the hotel was burned down by a posse led by Sherif Samuel Jones, who were pro-slavery.

In 1863 the hotel was burned down again, this time by William Quantrill in a raid that killed over 160 civilians. (For more on this infamous raid, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre).

The hotel was reopened on the same spot in 1865. It stood for decades, until in 1925 the city razed the hotel and rebuilt it again (cheaper than renovation). In 1970, the hotel closed due to lack of business and became apartments.

In the 1980s the hotel was again reopened as the Eldridge with the old time feel restored.

Today it is notoriously haunted, and several professional investigation groups have researched this hotel. It was featured on the A&E show "My Ghost Story".

There is a ton of websites that describe the details about these hauntings. Anyone who wants to experience a true paranormal encounter should book a stay here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2016, 02:42 PM
RE: Kansas
(02-23-2016 01:32 PM)bigshow8891 Wrote:  . Anyone who wants to experience a true paranormal encounter should book a stay here.

and if any of this can be proven then why not cash in? People are willing to pay thousands for proof.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
02-23-2016, 05:01 PM
(02-23-2016 01:32 PM)bigshow8891 Wrote:  Lawrence:

Eldridge Hotel:
In 1863 the hotel was burned down again, this time by William Quantrill in a raid that killed over 160 civilians. (For more on this infamous raid, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Massacre).

Read that with interest as my great-grandmother bought land near the town of Gordonville, TX. That town was named after Silas Gordon, a noted Confederate bushwhacker that rode with Quantrill's Raiders. The town of Platte City, Kansas was burned twice in an attempt to have pro-Confederates in the town surrender Gordon to Union forces.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
02-25-2016, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 01:49 PM by bigshow8891.)
(02-23-2016 02:42 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:  and if any of this can be proven then why not cash in? People are willing to pay thousands for proof.

Lol I think the hotel cashes in pretty nicely especially with room 506, apparently it is frequently booked for ghost investigations. (This also happens to be one of the upper end suites that cost more)
(02-23-2016 05:01 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote:  Read that with interest as my great-grandmother bought land near the town of Gordonville, TX. That town was named after Silas Gordon, a noted Confederate bushwhacker that rode with Quantrill's Raiders. The town of Platte City, Kansas was burned twice in an attempt to have pro-Confederates in the town surrender Gordon to Union forces.

Do you mean Platte City, MO? I've never heard of a Platte City in Kansas. Plenty of KS "Jayhawkers" did raids on Missouri towns before and during the Civil War.
02-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Cherryvale, Kansas:

The Leatherock hotel is supposedly haunted. Built in 1912, it has been recently renovated. I've never been but it looks like a fun place to stay, and it seems to be close to some museums as well.
02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
(02-25-2016 01:47 PM)bigshow8891 Wrote:  
(02-23-2016 02:42 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:  and if any of this can be proven then why not cash in? People are willing to pay thousands for proof.

Lol I think the hotel cashes in pretty nicely especially with room 506, apparently it is frequently booked for ghost investigations. (This also happens to be one of the upper end suites that cost more)
(02-23-2016 05:01 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote:  Read that with interest as my great-grandmother bought land near the town of Gordonville, TX. That town was named after Silas Gordon, a noted Confederate bushwhacker that rode with Quantrill's Raiders. The town of Platte City, Kansas was burned twice in an attempt to have pro-Confederates in the town surrender Gordon to Union forces.

Do you mean Platte City, MO? I've never heard of a Platte City in Kansas. Plenty of KS "Jayhawkers" did raids on Missouri towns before and during the Civil War.

You are correct, it was Platte City, MO. My mistake. I actually was able to look that up on Wikipedia!

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE