Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What to look for when using a digital recorder for EVP's
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 06:07 PM by PIE.)
What to look for when using a digital recorder for EVP's
What To Know If You Are Going To Use Digital Audio
For now, if you are considering purchasing a recorder make certain these specifications are met.
Your EVP Recorder must:
- Record in Stereo, preferably with External Mic Inputs
- Use a 96 KBPS or Greater Sample Rate
- Employ a 24 Bit Analog to Digital Conversion system
- Use a Non-lossy recording format (PCM, not CELP)
- Save Files in a non-compressed format. (WAV, not MP3 or similar.)
So what does this mean? Just take this to your dealer and check the specifications before purchasing your recorder! And so you know the basics of what all this means, read on.
Stereo means the recorder has the ability to record two channels simultaneously using two isolated input sources.
The number of samples made each second in the Analog to Digital conversion process. 96,000 (or 96K) per second is the minimum for EVP work. (For your Information, most digital voice recorders use from 8 to 16 K, far less than recommended.) From this it is seen that for reliable EVP work Compact Digital Voice recorders are NOT suitable for EVP work.
Another factor is the number of bits used in the Analog to Digital conversion system. The more bits utilized, the more accurate this conversion becomes. Most voice recorders use 16 bit conversion, good digital recorders use 24. Just as a higher pixel count improves images in photography more bits improves resolution in audio recording. Voice recorders using fewer than 24 bits are not suitable for EVP recording.
A final concern with digital recording is the format. Recorders should not alter the original signal while making the recording. Any compression alters the audio signal by reducing so-called "useless" data. But what is really useless? Since we don't know what constitutes an EVP who can say? Most small recorders, in order to save memory, use various compression techniques, usually Code Excited Linear Prediction (CELP). Instead EVP work requires a more intensive conversion method, Pulse Code Modulation. (PCM) Thus it is stated Recorders used for EVP work must use PCM conversion algorythms
The second way a digital recorder can alter the audio is in its file handling system. Most recorders use either a variation of the WAV file or the MP3 audio system. WAV and BWF are not considered lossy, therefore your digital recorder should use one of these two formats when creating the files. MP3 however is considered lossy, since compression takes place to reduce file size. It is not suitable for original recordings of EVPs.

I am a seasoned Paranormal Investigator and a builder of Paranormal Equipment. Visit my website HERE.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 08:21 PM
RE: What to look for when using a digital recorder for EVP's
Thanks for that post. I started a link back in October looking to discuss types of equipment used and what types of problems people had with equipment. I am not an investigator but want to learn about the equipment being used. The information you related makes a lot of sense to me.

-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE
Find all posts by this user
05-27-2017, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 05:04 PM by Tobias Claren.)
RE: What to look for when using a digital recorder for EVP's
I think, with low base noise.
Price-performance ratio: A fieldrecorder from Zoom. H2, H2n etc..

My idea: Use this old telephone plugs with suction cup as a stereo-Channel.
These plugs are only coils without a membrane (microphone).
If there is a ghost or a "soul" from "the other side" ("transcommunication"), there electromagnetic emitings will record without your voice etc.
It is shure, these evps are not from a sound on this room.
The microphone on the left channel, and the coil at the right channel.
And you can hear your questions, noise in the room, other people etc. left, and only voices from electromagnetic phenomenons at right channel.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommend the best EVP digital tape recorder? Fiona 15 36,968 05-12-2015 07:39 AM
Last Post: GypsyLaneSpirits