A interesting possibility
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sound Medicine
10-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Sound Medicine
So since sound is a form of energy, here goes. I was curious on the communities thoughts on the ability of sound to heal.

Many people listen to "white noise" to sleep, things like Tibetan singing bowls have become very popular. Science is looking more and more into the effects of sound on humans. More recently{past 10 years} the sound of cats purring has been associated with healing.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/63725/hea...r?bypass=1

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2015, 06:42 PM
RE: Sound Medicine
I honestly have no knowledge on this subject, but seeing how it is so therapeutic to the mind I don't see why it's not a possibility that it can aid physically as well, or that they go hand in hand even.
10-24-2015, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2015 06:58 PM by George Aldrich.)
(10-24-2015 03:35 PM)Fair_Luminary Wrote:  So since sound is a form of energy, here goes. I was curious on the communities thoughts on the ability of sound to heal.

Many people listen to "white noise" to sleep, things like Tibetan singing bowls have become very popular. Science is looking more and more into the effects of sound on humans. More recently{past 10 years} the sound of cats purring has been associated with healing.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/63725/hea...r?bypass=1

I do believe that certain sounds can help certain circumstances. I would say most definitely when it comes to the damage done to the soul from some of the life experiences people have encountered. Some have been proven successful as a repair to the chakra in several similar religions.
10-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Well in the case of a cats purr they have learned it helps with muscles and bone density, thus even though fluffy sleeps 14 hrs a day her body doesn't atrophy. Doctors have tried the specific frequency on humans and found it helps healing bones and such.

ASMR is another sound front.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomo...n_response
Many people find great relaxation from ASMR. Science can't figure out exactly how it works{yet}, but it causes pleasing tingling sensations. Though not all people are able to feel it.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
10-24-2015, 07:11 PM
A great article on infrasound, from being used as a weapon to studies how it effects our minds, even effects on blood pressures.
http://www.nvda.net/files/Infrasound_508.pdf

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
10-24-2015, 08:45 PM
That's a very good counter point article{I skimmed more on the study bits-It may take me a day or two to get through it}. Some of the studies used frequencies close to that which cats purr{though most seem to be at a very loud level}. Most of this study is more related to noise pollution/high volume{even if we can't hear it}. Cats and ASMR are very quiet in comparison. I think with cats some of it has to to with the frequency pattern versus a constant individual frequency.
It definitely shows sound can have negative effects. Though it didn't seem like any positive effects were cited{some of this may be due to the type of answer they were looking for}
While the Mozart effect is bunk,
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/20...rt-effect/
I know many people can relax through music. Who doesn't feel good when their "Jam" comes on.

10-25-2015, 01:04 PM
I think we have an emotional response to certain songs. Example, you get sad every time you hear, "A Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel, because that was played at your Grandpa funeral. A song or certain music will bring you right back to that memory, good or bad. I've made my own tapes of songs over the years that lift my spirits every time I listen.
10-25-2015, 01:27 PM
How about sound surgery?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...-scalpels/

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
10-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Now that's interesting. They have done studies on plants that thrived or died depending on the sounds/music they were exposed to.
10-25-2015, 02:35 PM
(10-25-2015 01:27 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:  How about sound surgery?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...-scalpels/

Much more the track I was going for UnR, thanks <3.
While there are definitely psychological effects of sound, I think science is slowly treating it as a tool. In the works right now to have sound scalpels, Bone and muscle regeneration, Ultrasound/Sonography, and Blood pressure lowering methods among others.
We are already using sound for medicine, I think one day we will use it more.

I forgot about the plant studies. Its interesting{at least to me} the positive and negative effects sound can have on all earths life.