Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Pictures at funerals (not for the squeamish)
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Pictures at funerals (not for the squeamish)
First if this is to creepy please remove it.

I have always been curious as to why people take pictures at funerals?
I personally think its creepy, but lots of people do this. I found some old pictures of a few and thought I would ask opinions of who does it and who doesn't.

[Image: 269.jpg]
These to me are just sad.
[Image: sfgone_chsx8699.jpg]
To me I would rather have memories of a loved one as opposed to a reminder as these.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
RE: Pictures at funerals (not for the squeamish)
Agreed UNR.Slightly odd that people would take pictures of their loved one in their coffin.I'd much rather remember them as they were alive than they were dead.Thanks for sharing this

"These are the darkest clouds that have surrounded me"-Within Temptation
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
it is creepy but i heard that in the early 1900s it was a pretty common practice to take pictures of a deceased relative as a last reminder. But i agree with UNR its better to remember someone's life rather than their death.
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
How could they do that?

I agree too, how can you keep looking at those pics and not go mental with heartbreak. I've said to my family, when the time comes for them i do not want to visit them in their coffins at the chapel of rest. I once did that, it was my second husband's grandad who was so lovely that i adored him as much as his family did. When i saw him laying in his coffin it broke my heart and i said to myself, that is the last time i ever do that.

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I'll add my agreement to this............I don't even like open casket funerals, let alone pictures to remind me.

I've been trying to find information of why there was ever a custom of doing that....I know it dates back to Civil War times in this country, but I would imagine it has other history. I agree though....it's sad to see someone in a casket. Not how I want to remember someone.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
08-10-2009, 03:24 PM
This practice is mentioned in the movie "The Others"...

I don't find it all too creepy. It's like a photo in an obit'... only not...

I wouldn't mind a photo like that of me in casket... excepting I wouldn't be around to enjoy it... but I AM eventually putting it in my will that HOW I died go on my headstone or grave marker. I always find it interesting to know how people died.

I've never been to a funeral I didn't have fun at...
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
What you been smokin' lately jadwik? [Image: 201.gif]

Love your post on dreams, going to find it now Big Grin

(08-10-2009 03:24 PM)jadewik Wrote:  This practice is mentioned in the movie "The Others"...

I wouldn't mind a photo like that of me in casket... excepting I wouldn't be around to enjoy it... but I AM eventually putting it in my will that HOW I died go on my headstone or grave marker. I always find it interesting to know how people died.

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I may not care for the custom...........but your comments always make my day, Jadewik! I do remember that in "The Others" Part of what made that movie so chilling....before we figured out who the ghosts were.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
(08-10-2009 03:24 PM)jadewik Wrote:  This practice is mentioned in the movie "The Others"...

It's their going away party and I wager they would want people to be happy and not grief stricken.

Characters Environments
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. (Chinese Proverb)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Hope no one thinks any different of me, but I like post-mortem pictures. I find it fascinating how family portraits would be taken after a death. It amazes me that people would prop a deceased person up for a picture. So strange.

A few year years back when I was moving my Mom she gave me all the family pictures. I found quite a few pictures taken at funerals of deceased relatives. I asked her who they were and why was pictures taken. She told me it was common to take pictures. She did not know why, but said everyone did it.

I wanted to collect post-mortem pictures. My hubby and daughter were not excited over the idea. Hubby thought it was creepy. My daughter was concerned that something could be attached to the photo, and we were asking for trouble. I told them that I would keep them at the office. They still did not like the idea. Out of respect for them I did not buy any.

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within. ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross