Poll: How many religious books have you read? (religion related do not count)
This poll is closed.
0 0% 0 0%
1 0% 0 0%
2 0% 0 0%
3 25.00% 1 25.00%
4 or + 75.00% 3 75.00%
Total 4 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how many religious books have you read?
10-09-2015, 06:06 AM
how many religious books have you read?
i often see people here criticizing a religion, or religion itself, so i've decided to make this poll so that when people answer it, they will acknowledge their own credibility to speak about one or other religion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: how many religious books have you read?
Nine years in the catholic school system so at one time I had a pretty deep knowledge of the bible though towards the end not by choice. I've also read some of the Torah and Quran. Add to that LaVey's Satanic Bible if you consider LaVeyan Satanism to be a legitimate religion. For the record I don't the man was essentially preaching ethical egoism as a form of religion. LaVey aside I found parts of those texts useful but on the wholenone really spoke to me.

What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye, what's that footstep following, but never passing by
10-09-2015, 06:57 AM
(10-09-2015 06:45 AM)RelentlessOblivion Wrote:  Nine years in the catholic school system so at one time I had a pretty deep knowledge of the bible though towards the end not by choice. I've also read some of the Torah and Quran. Add to that LaVey's Satanic Bible if you consider LaVeyan Satanism to be a legitimate religion. For the record I don't the man was essentially preaching ethical egoism as a form of religion. LaVey aside I found parts of those texts useful but on the wholenone really spoke to me.

very interesting indeed RO, thanks for sharing, please vote, thanks =]
10-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Oh didn't actually see the poll.

What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye, what's that footstep following, but never passing by
10-09-2015, 07:37 AM
(10-09-2015 07:17 AM)RelentlessOblivion Wrote:  Oh didn't actually see the poll.

hahahahahaha okay
10-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Yeah you know those guys who can't see what's right in front of them? At least I've got a pretty good excuse for it...

10-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Why has no one voted? Too ambiguous to understand Religious books but not books related to a religion. Afraid you will have to clarify specifics
10-09-2015, 05:03 PM
I just ignored that part. This thread shouldn't be subject to such confusing limitations imo.

10-09-2015, 05:25 PM
In middleschool I was pretty obsessed with mythology which to me includes all religions. I settled in the pagan traditions of my ancestors German/Irish though this is not to say I have not adopted traditions from where history left gaps due to Christianity destroying the cultures. Native American, Buddhism and Hinduism are probably the most influential of the other religions I have learned.

I will fully admit I am no fan of organized religion. I do not specifically believe in "God{s}/Goddess{es}. I do believe there is a energy to everything in the universe, and if you listen you can hear it. When I make points it is not out of malicious intent. But frustration of people who claim to be of a specific religion but have never read a page. In my country {USA} many people cant seem to be bothered learning basic math let alone what their scripture really says. To give an example my father was taught in church about heaven being a camels gate. The preacher said you must leave everything behind. That wasn't what the passage ment, camels gates when you came to a city meant the gate was too short. So they would unload the camel, walk it through and reload it. My family always took the passage to mean you must be willing to give up everything, but not that you will for sure loose it. Granted its personal interpretation to a point, but how many people know what a camel's gate was in this day and age?

Also generally most people who become atheists/agnostic or turn to a different religion do so after much reading on religions.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
10-09-2015, 08:45 PM
I personally think calling yourself agnostic is a cop out. It's like you're too apathetic to decide whether you believe in a God/Gods/Godess/Godesses so you just hedge your bets. That's just how I feel though.

With you on organised religion. Faith is a personal matter and no one should be told how to express it. Then you have the infighting over shich sect of a religion is the right one and it just makes no sense. The Abrahimic religions are much of a muchness and if people would realise this simple truth it might go some way to solving at least some of the conflicts in the Middle-East.