Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do we need God?
10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Do we need God?
10 reasons we do not.
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/15-10-07/#feature

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 05:02 AM
RE: Do we need God?
I'm an atheist (and yes I can appreciate the irony) so God has no place in my life. To some, however, the idea of a God and an afterlife is comforting. God is a symbol of hope and inspiration to many whether he exists or not. Who are we to say someone's most cherished beliefs are no longer relevant and ought to be discarded? Whether a person believes in a god, many gods, or no god is entirely their choice to make.
10-08-2015, 05:20 AM
Belief is fine as long as it doesn't harm others.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
10-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Man has committed violence against man since our primate ancestors first came down from the trees and walked upright. That some have used their beliefs to justify such atrocities is hardly surprising. It speaks to the depravity of man as a species not the evil of faith. This is a discussion I've had before elsewhere and in a slightly different context. Plenty of harm has been done with no religious motivation as well;

What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye, what's that footstep following, but never passing by
10-08-2015, 07:11 AM
relentlessoblivion has an interesting point of view, and i agree with his first post, people make choices, and there is something i'd like to add, we are a relatively young as human race, and also spiritualy primitive (since the demystification of the supernatural is in its early steps in humanity's history), so it's only natural that we do not have comprehension about this subject, as well as we are not advanced in science (for example), so this indagation is an evidence of that.
now, the existence of afterlife, souls and spirits, and the evident hope and comfort feelings related to God's image, do not sustain the argument of God's existing or not, for they are not the cause of His existence, they are the effect.
Finally, there is one more thing i'd like to say, if there is a God, He would represent morality, rationality and love (of course), why i say that? because i don't believe we go to heaven so that we can live in eternal beatification, i don't even believe in this kind of heaven, so, i'd say that this is why i need God, i'm not saying that atheists are evil, but actually i'm saying that relying on God inspires these things. I'm not saying that this question is irrelevant, it's actually a very good one, it's a really good discussion, but in the end the question's supportive arguments always ends up in God's effects, leading it back to "does God exists?".
Plus, UNR comes up sometimes with interesting reads, but this one was not one of them, what amuses me about UNR is that sometimes his arguments are pure bigotry, this link you have provided blames wars, racism, xenophobia, women rights and etc, on God. i believe that misinterpretations of the bible have exposed people's pre-existent immoral behaviors in history, and have been used in a political environment to catastrophic ends, so, in this thread what you are really trying to say is that if we didn't have God, there would be no wars, no racism, no woman's right diferentiation etc...
10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Which is, of course, wrong. most wars are actually economically motivated. Even the radical extremist organisations are less about religion and more about nationalism. The IRA is a prime example of an extremist organisation who had no religious motivation but instead simply wished to free Ireland from the English albeit in a misguided and ultimately ineffective way.

What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye, what's that footstep following, but never passing by
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
(10-08-2015 08:38 AM)RelentlessOblivion Wrote:  Which is, of course, wrong. most wars are actually economically motivated. Even the radical extremist organisations are less about religion and more about nationalism. The IRA is a prime example of an extremist organisation who had no religious motivation but instead simply wished to free Ireland from the English albeit in a misguided and ultimately ineffective way.

exactly, all foreign activity (regarding countries) are motivated by economic matters, there is sometimes religion related actions that fuel these pre existent malevolent, or radical, intents, since it's a delicate matter it is said here where i live that "religion, politics and soccer (lol) are out of discussion".
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Oh where to begin....

The bible doesn't actually support slavery, people who think so twisted the words or misread it. Passages were written in the "if you are still a slave, and you choose to be Christian do not go against your master and cause yourself more suffering." I am fully aware this is not how it has been used, but how it was intended. Truthfully speaking the teachings of the Qu'ran are the ones that specificly set black people as less. But I don't think the author ment this as they centered on Christianity. Assuming that slavery means black people is incorrect, there were more then just black slaves in biblical times.

Beheadeding is horrible yes, but stuff like burning people alive, or Scaphism https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism Id rather be headless.

American Civil war had jack diddily to do with slavery. Look it up Lincoln is quoted that if the war could have been won without ending slavery he would have. Side note not all slaves at that time were black.

Not only Christianity views women as less, again Islam. There are some valid points here, but all in all it seems like the writer is upset with Christian faith more then anyone. And as messed up as this is to say most these incidents came about because Hitler like scumbags. Hitler used alot of trickory and also really pulled Germany together after WWII. When people wised up they were stuck in the system unable to do much. They did what they had to protect themselves and their families. So much like the Nazi's and the German Brown coats Christans like all religions have crazy evil people and normal people that really didn't know better and then had no idea how to fix things once it hit the fan.

*Random point, no I am not Christian but if we are to argue religion we should at least get the facts straight.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
10-08-2015, 05:20 PM
The holy texts of Christianity, Islam, Hindu etc reflect social norms of the time. We can not speak for the intentions of their authors as we simply do not know. What we can say is some of the notions contained within each are archaic and ought to be disregarded. Other principles are more relevant today then when they were first written. I may not believe in god or subscribe to any particular faith but I feel they all have something to offer the world.

10-08-2015, 07:37 PM
I concede its difficult to know by the times. And I would have to look it up. But I remember one of Jesus's diciples and not Jesus {if memory serves} made a case to a Christian slave owner to free his slaves{which is why I hold the view I do}. There was alot of preaching to slaves to convert. Much is lost to history, and I will admit its been years since I paged through that contradictory historical fiction known as the bible. There are some good things out of the bibe or any of the other violent religions that are known as violent, but there does seem to be a crazy portion of bad with them all that overshadows.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn