Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas to get back into the swing of things
08-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Ideas to get back into the swing of things
I'm stuck. 7 years ago I was a very active lone practitioner, I was constantly reading, working and living magic. Now it's like I've gone stagnant. I try to read, I can't focus. I try to plan a ritual and I just can't get prepared. What can I do to charge myself up again? A huge part of my life is missing and I want it back!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
RE: Ideas to get back into the swing of things
I used to be very much interested in paganism. Then I just sort of lost interest. It's a way of life you have to fully believe in like your life depends on it as much as breathing. I still have beliefs but that's about it. I just don't see the point of practicing, especially after learning that pretty much everyday normal stuff can be considered magick if you look at it that way.
Your issue is not unique to every other person with a talent or interest. I'm very good at art. However, I put so much energy and time into my work all at once I get "artist fatigue" as my art teacher called it. It's just like writer's block, no matter how hard I try when I'm out of it my work is just not up to par and I would rather do something else. This can last a very short time to years. I haven't picked up a pencil in at least a year. My mom hasn't done any of her fine work in...decades.
One thing I do know, is that magick is energy sensitive. It won't work right if your mind, body and spirit isn't in it. Go and do something else, get your mind off of practicing and then when you start getting an itch to practice, try again.

The hero is brave in deeds as well as words - Aesop

Please all, and you will please none - Aesop
08-11-2015, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 03:09 PM by MereMortal.)
Somebody told me once that the ebb and flow of your dedication to practicing is normal. All things naturally grow and wane.

That said, the type of path you're on greatly influences the advice I would give you for getting back into the swing of things. I can tell you what I do personally, but I'm not sure whether it would help you.

I generally follow the wheel of the year, because I live in the land of perpetual sunshine and my life is mostly devoid of seasonal changes. Taking note of the wheel helps to me to realize that time is passing, and somewhere else in the world, the earth is in the middle of constant metamorphosis. I use the wheel to feel closer to those changes by implementing seasonally appropriate activities whenever possible, even if they don't seem to be tied to any particular religious association.

Here's an example. August 1st was Lammas. I didn't have a ritual, because I knew I wouldn't be up for the task. Instead, I baked bread and drank wine and ate grapes and corn, and talked to my man about all the things we've accomplished this year. I sat by myself for a little while and thought about what it means to sacrifice. That was it, but it was enough. I felt like the spirit of the thing was fine. I am aware that the first harvest is over. I feel that change in myself, even though I don't necessarily think about it every day.

Do little things, even if they're not extravagant. Remember to add a little bit of magic into everything you cook. If deity has a place in your practice, just talk every now and then. Doesn't have to have fancy words, or be about anything extravagant. Just talk. Get that connection going.

Often even solitaries have a habit of equating magic only with the things that LOOK magical. Stuff you could put in a movie, you know? Billowing incense and chalk symbols on the driveway, that kinda stuff. And it all has a place, for sure. But that's not the stuff that sustains belief or a feeling of magic you can carry with you all day.

Start simply. Think of a concept today that you're interested in. Just come back to it every now and then throughout the day. No need for a full term paper or to write anything down. Just give it some thought. When you feel like you've exhausted the subject, move onto something else.

Yesterday upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there.
08-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Yeah, magic comes and goes with me too. It's worst during the winter, but I didn't have the spark this summer either. Now that fall is approaching, it's coming back to me.

"I guess the battle between Good and Evil is sort of irrelevant."
08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your input, hopefully soon things will start clicking for me!
08-12-2015, 08:31 PM
A lot of times magic requires reason. The simple practice of something without cause is missing something. You have to have a reason to complete it, you cannot have an effect without a cause. Keep that in mind when you sit down to think and practice. It doesn't have to be a big reason.

Protecting someone, praying for their safety/salvation those are small things you can try and have a "cause". Hope this helps.

"As the Shaman wondered he took pleasure in helping those close, and ecstasy in destroying those deserving."
08-13-2015, 09:05 PM
It's actually a protection/banishing ritual that I need to do and I just can't get it going. I tried planning it out, and it wasn't clicking, I got my books out and read thinking that reading and sharpening up would help and I can't get more than a page or two in before I'm drifting off mentally. It's like I have mental block when it comes to anything magical...and it truly does feel like something is missing. Something that was incorporated so easily is just..gone. Thank you for your words Smile
08-13-2015, 09:10 PM
(08-13-2015 09:05 PM)starpixie Wrote:  It's actually a protection/banishing ritual that I need to do and I just can't get it going. I tried planning it out, and it wasn't clicking, I got my books out and read thinking that reading and sharpening up would help and I can't get more than a page or two in before I'm drifting off mentally. It's like I have mental block when it comes to anything magical...and it truly does feel like something is missing. Something that was incorporated so easily is just..gone. Thank you for your words Smile

Hmm..something missing...I don't know what I can say...I will think on it and research some...this might be out of the normal for the books I have. But I will research... be back to you soon.

"As the Shaman wondered he took pleasure in helping those close, and ecstasy in destroying those deserving."
08-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Thank you for your concern, you are very kind!
08-14-2015, 05:34 PM
(08-13-2015 09:42 PM)starpixie Wrote:  Thank you for your concern, you are very kind!

The worst thing in the world is to want for something and not be able to obtain it... If I can prevent that for one person I win.