Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandy Island...fact or fantasy?
Just watched another segment on Sandy Island. It was first charted in 1774. Was shown on maps all through the 1800's. In 2012 Australian scientists got there only to find nothing! It is said it was then removed from Google maps. On other sites it appears(d) as a blackened sea.

I just checked it out. Put in Sandy Island on Google Maps. It showed up with a yellow outline. I then zoomed in until the line disappeared. Google Maps shows under water terrain all over the globe. What I saw, under where the yellow outline was, is a feature that looks just like the island, same dimensions and all.

I don't know what to make of it other than it's there. There are many theories on it and I haven't a clue as to what it really means, but it is curious. No island on top of water but the feature is there, under the ocean.

I'm ducking as I write this.......thoughts?
Islands disappear and reappear all the time it seems. Just one of many vacation spots that you shouldn't book to haha.
try looking it up on Google Earth. The map zooms into the sea. You can see the shape of the island submerged. It creeps me out. I don't know why, but the ocean scares me on Google maps or Google Earth.
There are a couple photos tagged in that area. One pic is just grey.

Anyone know how to find rogue waves on Google maps or Google Earth?
The hero is brave in deeds as well as words - Aesop

Please all, and you will please none - Aesop
The central mystery of how Sandy Island came into being. Was it merely imagined? Maybe not. It’s possible that what the whaling vessel saw in 1876 was a floating raft of stone — a “pumice raft.”

Pumice is a frothy, light rock produced in volcanic eruptions. Huge mats of pumice can float on the ocean before eventually breaking to pieces.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/h...story.html
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(06-19-2015, 10:28 PM)angelaura Wrote: try looking it up on Google Earth. The map zooms into the sea. You can see the shape of the island submerged. It creeps me out. I don't know why, but the ocean scares me on Google maps or Google Earth.
There are a couple photos tagged in that area. One pic is just grey.

Anyone know how to find rogue waves on Google maps or Google Earth?

Thanks. I didn't think I was seeing things. Of course I know this is assuming that Google Earth and Maps are accurate. All I can attest to is it has where I live and other places I know right down to the spot.
Pumice islands trick google maps
http://www.livescience.com/22268-huge-pu...lated_test
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(06-20-2015, 05:34 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: The central mystery of how Sandy Island came into being. Was it merely imagined? Maybe not. It’s possible that what the whaling vessel saw in 1876 was a floating raft of stone — a “pumice raft.”

Pumice is a frothy, light rock produced in volcanic eruptions. Huge mats of pumice can float on the ocean before eventually breaking to pieces.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/h...story.html

I've read most of the theories as to what it was (or is for that matter). This article is from the WP which never gets anything wrong Wink Capt. Cook had it charted in 1774, 100 years before the whaling ship supposedly first found it so that would give it a 100 year life span up till then. As I understand it "pumice rafts" usually move. It also doesn't explain the image on Earth and Maps that corresponds almost exactly to the dimensions of the island under water. I'd love to see some WW II maps and charts. I'd bet the Japanese, US, and Australians were all over that area at one time or other.

And picky, maybe, but your first little paragraph should have been in quotes since you took it word for word from the article. Wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of plagiarism now.
People make mistakes all the time, look at those who believe in orbs .... (got a mirror) and as far as plagiarism I included the link. Want more? Oh wait everything is paranormal to you Are Merrit islands real?
http://www.livescience.com/28822-sandy-i...vered.html
As for the "got a mirror" comment, I'm assuming you are referring to me believing in orbs. Wrong thread my man.
Yes, you included the link but it's inferred, reading your reply as written, that it is by you and not the WP.
And since you've shown you can google someone's screen name and put personal info into a thread (isn't that against the rules?), first...it is Merritt Island...singular,
and I am not living on a house boat so yes, it is very real.
And the picture on this current thread is one of the ones talked about in articles, but have you looked it up (you've shown to be very proficient at that) lately? Google Maps has their little, orange indicator over the area, Earth zooms way in but go out a bit and you see the indicator, then the yellow circle. On either, no black mass (or white for that matter as stated on other sites).
Have a nice day.
Ok perhaps this will help
pla·gia·rism
ˈplājəˌrizəm/
noun
noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.