Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1948 Donora, PA-- Killer Smog
Just learned about this last night. Quite an interesting historical event. Basically, a fluke weather condition caused the sulfur dioxide emissions from U.S. Steel's Donora Zinc Works and its American Steel & Wire plant to stay in the valley.

This historical event is what kick-started the environmental movement and the EPA.

If you're interested, check out this page the Donora historical society has put together on the topic:
https://www.sites.google.com/site/donora.../1948-smog
I do remember reading an article many years ago about this. Haven't gone through the whole site yet, but I also remember hearing about the cement houses in Donora intended for employees of the steel mill. I had thought it was a ghost town now--it does seem that there's still a few thousand people there.

Along with this in PA, there is also Centralia, which might be a little more well known to people..the town that has literally had an underground coal fire smoking since 1962.

Industry--it can be a killer.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

(05-03-2015, 08:19 AM)scarygirl67 Wrote: I do remember reading an article many years ago about this. Haven't gone through the whole site yet, but I also remember hearing about the cement houses in Donora intended for employees of the steel mill. I had thought it was a ghost town now--it does seem that there's still a few thousand people there.

Along with this in PA, there is also Centralia, which might be a little more well known to people..the town that has literally had an underground coal fire smoking since 1962.

Industry--it can be a killer.

Yeah I've heard that it was an inspiration for Silent Hill.
I have been to Centralia. Sadly, it was after 5pm, so the museum was closed. There really isn't much to see. Foundations of homes and, in some places, you can see fissures with smoke billowing out of the ground. I too have heard it was the basis of silent hill, but the only link between the two is the fire in the mining town.