Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150th Anniversary of "The Lincoln Special"
Didn't post this earlier because I haven't had the chance-- but I'm not entirely late on it.

It's the 150th anniversary of President Lincoln's assassination.... and funeral train. I'm not sure how many of you know that his body went on "tour" for weeks after his demise (April 21-May 4,1865). It's quite a macabre story.... so if you like ghoulishly famous stories, you might skip over to the History Channel page about it here:

That should get you started... though, the story has a lot of interesting elements if you want to dig deeper. The history of President Lincoln is quite interesting to say the least.
Yeah that train would have been not so fresh.
(05-12-2015, 06:15 PM)Paranormal_Etcetera Wrote: Yeah that train would have been not so fresh.

Except for the fact that Lincoln was embalmed several times along the way. Embalming was in its infancy at the time, but Lincoln had his son embalmed so he and his wife were receptive to the idea.
At least embalming was an idea in Lincoln's time. Katherine of Aragon's younger sister Joanna was a bit "mad" and was VERY obsessed with her husband, Philip. So much so that when he died before her, she took him with her wherever she went for quite a while.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde