Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Accurate TV Show and Movies about The Paranormal?
Can people help me about what are most accurate portrayal ones or based on a true story?

I imagine most people here have more knowledge than me.

Thanks.
Tricky. Anything in the media about the paranormal are either exaggerated, completely stage, or try to be accurate and end up flawed. I guess the ones closest to what you are looking for would be (and this is all based on what I'm aware of is out there):

Investigative:
Ghost Hunters - because, despite deception allegations, they do debunk first and are not about gore and cheap scares, or about frightening the property owners. (Some people disagree, but this is just my opinion.)

True accounts:
In Search Of... - Since the passing of Leonard Nimoy you can watch full episodes on youtube, they even have the one on the Amityville house when a new family moved in after the famous massacre.

Unsolved Mysteries - The older ones with Robert Stack were the best. If you can find a way to get the old, old episodes, like way back in the 80's, early 90's, p.m. me cause I'm looking for a specific episode.

Mystery Hunters - Okay, this is more of a kids show and is hosted by 2 teens and a professor by the name, Doubting Dave. They cover a variety of mysteries and paranormal topics around the world and look for scientific explanations and uncover hoaxes. Their mantra at the end of each episode is "nothing is always as it seems." I liked this show. Doubting Dave gives some plausible tips and conducts some cool experiments.

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction - You may have to really search for this one. Hosted by Jonathan Frakes, this fun true or false show goes through 3 or 4 different short stories dealing with the paranormal, urban legends, cryptzoology and other mysteries. Throughout the episode, you have to guess which ones are based on fact and which ones are completely made up. Then he reveals the answers at the end of the show.

Creepy Canada - I don't know where your from, but this show was airing in the early 2000's and was a hit in my home land. It show cased a number of reenacted stories of personal encounters and more famous legends.

Destination Truth - This is one for those who like travel, adventure and a bit of mystery. Often looking for a specific legendary creature in all corners of the world, Josh Gates and his crew of investigators sometimes find other paranormal surprises in their quests, as well as cultural oddities. Josh narrates his shows with fluent articulation and wit. Even if staged, it's entertaining.

Dark Matters: Twisted But True - Not always paranormal, but, um....moreso about the atrocities of scientific curiosity and medical mishaps in the past, this one is not for the faint of heart or the queasy.

Paranormal Home Inspectors - In this show properties are investigated 3 times. The home owner gets to disclose their claims with the host who then passes it along to a home inspector, a psychic and a team of paranormal investigators. Each get a chance to search for answers to the claims and it's interesting to see the home inspector debunking almost everything and then listening to the psychic say everything is caused by a ghost, even putting a name to it. It's actually kind of funny.

The hero is brave in deeds as well as words - Aesop

Please all, and you will please none - Aesop
(04-25-2015, 07:31 PM)angelaura Wrote: Ghost Hunters - because, despite deception allegations, they do debunk first and are not about gore and cheap scares, or about frightening the property owners. (Some people disagree, but this is just my opinion.)

I agree, the Ghost Hunters dudes are legit. I haven't watched their shows for a long while now though. Hopefully they didn't end up selling out.
No matter how bleak or how hopeless, No matter how hard or how far
You can never break my conation, Tear the will apart from desire
(04-26-2015, 03:54 PM)Beccah Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 07:31 PM)angelaura Wrote: Ghost Hunters - because, despite deception allegations, they do debunk first and are not about gore and cheap scares, or about frightening the property owners. (Some people disagree, but this is just my opinion.)

I agree, the Ghost Hunters dudes are legit. I haven't watched their shows for a long while now though. Hopefully they didn't end up selling out.

Grant is no longer with TAPS, so it's just Jason and everyone else. I believe Donna was fired or something and went on to rant about them in an interview and was put on youtube with just the audio and some strange marionette skit looping over.
I've seen a few of the newer episodes and I find I like them without Grant.
The hero is brave in deeds as well as words - Aesop

Please all, and you will please none - Aesop
No one is legit.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
The X-files. I want to believe. Come on, how many of you watched faithfully with no lights on?
Ghost busters helped to inspire ghost hunters of today. They use fake equipment to capture things not proven and made it funny
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Ghost Adventures with the great Zak Bagans.You get a run down of why they are investigating where they are as well as good evidence.RE: EVPs and so on.I dont understand some of the other TV shows that dont use up to date equipment for solid evidence.Some dont even use recorders.
Which are the most accurate TV Shows and Movies about The Paranormal?

Gotta stress, this is just my opinion.

Eyewitness accounts:

I saw these decades ago, and from the interviews, these people did seem genuine:

HAUNTED AUSTRALIA: Australia's Most Haunted (REAL Paranormal GHOSTS Documentary) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4qrlNS9S8U

The segment that left me feeling particularly unsettled was that about the township of York in WA. None of the people in this documentary didn't seem to have any reason to lie or make things up.

This is another one that I thought was genuine, and likewise made me feel ill at ease. Again, this wintess seemed perfectly normal and didn't seem to have any reason to lie:

Bedfordshire Phantom Hitchhiker -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4RQpttLY8

Hitchhiker Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFyPg2oaXUI

Haven't seen this one below, but fairly likely I will. And soon -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGtdZH...xfQ/videos

There was one particular episode from the series Paranormal Witness. I didn't believe most of the episodes, but one of them left me truly stunned. The family ended up moving out of the house and the whole dilemma left them in financial ruin. I'm fairly sure they actually took some photos and video footage as well. Oddly enough, numerous neighbours in the street/area moved out as well - pretty sure most/all of these neighbours didn't know each other and didn't discuss any issues or encounters.

Movie:

The Entity, starring Barbara Hershey. There are lots of alleged "based on/inspired by actual events", but this is #1, at least in my books. This was a very famous and highly publicised case in America -

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ouTube.com

The real story behind The Entity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyO1Dllhe38

If you do a fair bit of searching, you will find a number of articles and videos on The Entity case.
(04-29-2015, 10:38 AM)Bean Sidhe Wrote: No one is legit.

Not true lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best paranormal based YouTube show Tarantula enthusiast 0 917 04-12-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Tarantula enthusiast
  good witch movies or show ghostrose1 1 970 04-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: angelaura
  Idea for a paranormal tv show ive been thinking about jka12002 1 8,668 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Last Post: CDS
  Upcoming Non-Paranormal Movies Bracket 52 35,951 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: geogirlforever
  Upcoming Paranormal/Scary Movies Skatha 10 6,769 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Last Post: CMF