Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Energy work and how it relates to ASMR
02-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Energy work and how it relates to ASMR
I think I am too new yet to post links but the Google says:
"Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a neologism for a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, or cognitive stimuli."

In case anyone is unfamiliar. The point I wanted to go on is times when I have been shielded or when something enters my space I get a tingle that is similar but totally different to ASMR.

I was curious if anyone else experiences this reaction which I believe is energy based. Didn't see anything like it so figured I would ask.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2015, 07:23 PM
RE: Energy work and how it relates to ASMR
I've experienced the tingling in my scalp and skin when I've heard close up band music with drums. I kind of get that one. I didn't know it had a name.

I don't know about the tingle you get when you sense energy in your space, but know of some sensitives who get a kind of buzzing in the presence of "something" being close by. I think your brain senses it, but then doesn't know quite what to translate it into. Some people see a kind of wavering "heat wave" type thing. Others say they can smell it. It gets translated into whatever sensory modality the brain deems most fitting, and for different people, it seems to be different.

I don't know if that answered your question.
02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
I more was trying to start a discussion on the potential link of Sensing and ASMR. Scientists dont understand why it happens and not everyone experiences ASMR. Also there are completely different triggers person to person in ASMR. I know people sense different, let alone how strong the sense is, so i may be grasping at straws for enough to link the two but i thought it might be a solid idea to connect some science to the mysterious.

"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn
02-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Don't really know? when a different energy is around I sense it by my Chi activation (among other ways too) which is a different energy buzz through my body, this energy buzz changes according to what the other energy around is about...hope this makes sense??

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!
02-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I see what you're getting at. It might be a kind of sensory overload? Perhaps, it happens when there is just too much stimulus and the body reacts physically and in an unexpected manner (tingling and goose bumps?).

I know I've read and have heard that certain people can sense the energy of an entity or spirit in their space because the hairs on their arms and neck stand up.

I sort of suspect that it's all about some kind of energy - all of this. I don't know what kind, and I can't qualify my gut feelings with science. But I think we have 5 major senses and then, there are other senses which are less noticed, like subtle ones that can pick up on things that most people are not tuned into. I think some people do this, and some cannot do it as well. How your brain and body deal with what is picked up seems to tend to be personal interpretation, and not all of it conscious or deliberate.

It might be that people with the capacity to be receivers can tune in and focus this more by practice and attention. But it's all too common for adepts to say, "Everyone can do this." I don't actually think that's true. But it must seem like it for the ones for whom is comes so naturally.

I might be wrong. I often am. This is all just conjecture.

When I first met my husband, he knew a lot about me. He would blurt out stuff out of the blue like, "You mother is left handed." I had never even spoken about my mother to him. Random stuff like that. He used to say, "You know how when you meet someone and you shake their hand and you know their dog's name?"

No.

But he thought that this was what everyone could and did do. He hadn't really given it too much thought. His doctor, he called "Rosemary." Every time he went to see her, he referred to her this way. Always. Finally, she said to him, "WHY do you call me that? Everyone calls me Pat. All my life. Pat." He said, "But your name is Rosemary. Isn't it?" She said, "Yes! But no one knows that!!!" She had been named that, but never liked the name and had not allowed people to call her that since she was a kid.

That kind of stuff.

So, perhaps, this is about subtle sensing, and what the body, brain and intellect does with the information it receives, however it receives it. It might trigger a physical response, or it might just inject a layer of knowing that wasn't there before. It might translate into physical chills or tingling. It might create an illusion of sound or smell or seeing what isn't there.

Sometimes, when skeptics say something is all in people's head, I think they might be right, but not in the way they intend it. It isn't necessarily made up as much as interpreted or recognized. But there is always that translation of the stimulus by the brain to deal with.
02-18-2015, 07:57 PM
(02-18-2015 09:41 AM)pix Wrote:  Don't really know? when a different energy is around I sense it by my Chi activation (among other ways too) which is a different energy buzz through my body, this energy buzz changes according to what the other energy around is about...hope this makes sense??

It does, I think we are actually talking about the same sensation but just phrasing it differently. I have a general sense for myself, I have felt negative energy flow off other people and it strike against my shields. Almost like a strong wind getting cancelled by another, you feel the wind but you also feel the neutral air left in the wake. Times like this I have noticed a ozone like smell but that is a different sense and not in line with the ASMR sensation so I mention it but its not my focus. Though somewhat similar sometimes depending on who is around the air/atmosphere is heavier which can leave me feeling somewhat cramped. This said I do not suffer from social anxiety or have panic disorders(for our skeptics).

For Family, Friends, and Animals I am associated with,I can sense them within a certain range. This sense is closest to an ASMR tingle hair stand up on your neck sort of feeling.

For negative things I get a sinking feeling in my body, like I am going to be sick(throw up sick). It varies a bit due to the cause. This is the sense I hate the most. Part of this leaves me with what is crudely explained as sight on the deaths of those I am connected to. I have never viewed this as a good thing and for good or bad I have blocked it the best I can. Regardless, even the people I hate such as my mother when they pass I know. Her death was the most recent to have woken me. The more attached I am, the stronger the effect, so honestly speaking I have made it a point to not get very attached to anyone.

I can keep on with examples but back on track...if by buzzing you mean sort of like a electric feeling I think that's like my tingling. Or do you mean a sound? I've never much paid mind to the sound, more like whats in the air reverbs through me, if that makes sense?

02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
This sounds like a variation on being an Empath. But instead of feeling other people's feelings, you sense their proximity or vibes, like a kind of radar. Why do you not allow anyone to get close? I would think that nice people would be nice to have nearby?

Social situations in crowds are very difficult for my husband, who is an Empath in the emotional sense. He picks up on other people's emotions and crowds are hard work for him. Weirdly, he is a people person, and loves people - but in small doses if in crowds. He has been sideswiped by walls of someone else's stuff before out of the blue. He really hates that, and it can last a while until it passes. I'm mentioning this because it's a shame to not get attached for fear of this happening. It passes. And the richness of friendships and loves make up for the pain when it hits. Or, so says my hubby.
02-19-2015, 10:12 AM
I am empathic but Ive locked most of it down, this is the remaining bleed through. Ive never cared to get my emotions mixed with others. Maybe its not so bad if its tuned like your husbands but Im not the same.
When I sense Death its not just when it happens, its before, sometimes by days or in a few cases a week(roughly). House spirits, demons, ghosts, anything occult to deal with that stuff it doesn't phase me I can live with it.
I could never make you understand how horrible it is to know when someone will die but have no ability to make the person believe. And I understand people die but these are things that could have been changed. My grandmother putting off surgery which lead to a stroke. My grandfather who I told not to go into surgery because he wouldn't wake back up. A childhood friend that died at the age of 7 because she was allergic to bees. My first love who refused to stop using and died huffing. My brothers friend, his wife had an aneurysm fell down steps and died due to her head striking the cement. And I can go on and on.....but what's the point of knowing if no one believes you? Telling people you have a bad feeling they are going to die doesn't work well...and in many ways I feel for Cassandra of the greeks.

The only way I have to lessen this feeling is to block everyone. It keeps me from getting as sick(physically) as I once did, but there is always bleed through no matter how much Ive tried to block.

More recently it was pointed out to me that maybe this sense is so I can help others cross over, and which would I rather feel, to truely feel or to feel nothing. I guess Im selfish because I would rather not feel if feeling means feeling what I have.

02-19-2015, 10:43 AM
I can understand your anguish, and really, that's hard to deal with. People who say they want to develop their "abilities" have no idea what that can mean. Sometimes, it is absolutely heart wrenching.

You can't "warn" people about their deaths and not risk being seen as some kind of doomsday prophet. What you might be able to do is to tell them to be careful, and if you have any specifics, hint at them. But, still, you are exposing yourself to the disbelief of disbelievers. The crappy part is that you know and are worrying BEFORE it happens.

But if no one believes you, the wisdom might be to write it down, date it, and show it to someone that isn't involved in the situation. Then, when it comes true you at least have validation that might allow people to trust you when you warn them of this.

My husband tells me he doesn't want to block anything because that means shutting down his feelings. He deals with the intense emotions he gets by contacting the person who is "sending" them, and talking it through with them. Sometimes it takes a week to fade, but it does when the other person is at peace. He suffers quite a lot with this from time to time, and hates it. But, his solace comes from knowing he can help someone who is desperate. He always seems to get the very sad, grief stricken, or panicked ones. Nothing fun. Oddly, he can sit and differentiate his own emotions and those foreign ones he is feeling from someone else. He feels them, but knows they aren't his. I've never known him to be wrong, either, when he reports this happening.

But he has often, over the years, said things like you're saying. What's the point of knowing someone is about to fall over a cliff if all you can do is watch it happen? It feels like some kind of weird torture to know and not to be able to influence things to avoid the catastrophe.

Maybe, this is just the way things are supposed to be? Maybe, people die and it's their time to die? Maybe, it's not alterable.

I don't think you can help anyone cross over if your ability isn't to see the newly dead. Cross over? Most do on their own, I think.

What I would suggest is that you recognize the problems with this and see if there is anything you can do to help. Then, if your help is not accepted, try to let it go with the understanding that death happens to everyone at some point. You did what you could. It's hard for you, but you might need to recognize that this is what it is, and it is something you will need to learn to take on board.

One thing that helped my husband was another Empath once told him that she was able to feel less distraught if she deliberately sent positive, healing thoughts to the person. She concentrated on sending love to them, and somehow, this seemed to help her. He said it helps him, too. But it doesn't stop it happening.

A lot of folks don't believe this stuff is real, and that's okay. But, I've lived with him now for 13 years or so, and I've seen it hit him out of the blue and knock him to his knees, figuratively speaking. He has no warning. He has no prior knowledge of any troubles these people have. Once, he didn't even know the person he picked up on. He only saw a little picture on Facebook of a guy. Nothing was said. But he was so blown away, he had trouble speaking to me about it.

That sort of thing is crippling, and I do offer you my understanding. It sucks.
02-19-2015, 12:19 PM
LOl..yes it is like being plugged into an electric socket, that is one aspect of my Chi, I also see (both psychically and mentally) energies, feel as in empathy too, hear (both psychically and mentally) energies etc...
I know too your hubbies "gifts" Gizmo and unlike him I close myself down completely whenever I go out but that doesn't stop energies following me who I can help pass over if they want to. I only open myself up when I feel the need to "work" in some way but even then I keep a protective shield around myself.

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chi / Ki / Energy work Istadan 7 18,701 02-16-2014 05:01 PM
Last Post: pix
  Energy work and making my mind shut down snapdragon928 15 27,634 07-21-2011 10:18 PM
Last Post: snapdragon928