Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone else have this happen?
02-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Anyone else have this happen?
Many years ago, 2007 I believe, I picked up E.V.P.s at a location. Parts of the recording clearly say a name,and one part clearly says "hello?" The problem is, some people hear these things,some people hear things I've never heard, and some don't hear anything. I know I am not the only person who hears what I hear,even though I don't coach at all,as to what to listen for. They listen, and then tell me. So what's going on? Has anyone else had this happen?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2015, 06:32 PM
RE: Anyone else have this happen?
That's the problem with EVPs some people are able to make out words from noise better than others.

Keep an open mind but not so much as one's brain falls out.
02-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm one who never hears what anyone else does. I really am bad at hearing EVP.
02-15-2015, 03:30 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is an EVP and how does one get one?]
02-15-2015, 06:54 AM
(02-15-2015 03:30 AM)lilypad Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is an EVP and how does one get one?]

Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) are sounds found on electronic recordings that in many cases are sounds people misinterpret. Stray sounds and signals ghost hunters want to be spirit voices. usually audio pariedolia. Audio pareidolia is hearing words in sound that are not actually there. This can occur by misinterpreting words that are being said, or by hearing words in random noise. The phenomenon is the same as with visual pareidolia, in that the brain is searching for a recognized pattern, finds the closest match, and then processes the incoming sensory information to enhance the apparent match.Not captured by high end recording equipment.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
02-15-2015, 08:27 AM
(02-15-2015 06:54 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 03:30 AM)lilypad Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is an EVP and how does one get one?]

Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) are sounds found on electronic recordings that in many cases are sounds people misinterpret. Stray sounds and signals ghost hunters want to be spirit voices. usually audio pariedolia. Audio pareidolia is hearing words in sound that are not actually there. This can occur by misinterpreting words that are being said, or by hearing words in random noise. The phenomenon is the same as with visual pareidolia, in that the brain is searching for a recognized pattern, finds the closest match, and then processes the incoming sensory information to enhance the apparent match.Not captured by high end recording equipment.

To the OP, I've recorded sounds here and in some cases I hear what I think is a breath being exhaled. It was recorded in the basement and it was set up just as I was going to bed upstairs. But unfortunately I have no one to listen to it for me,besides I know it was made by whatever entity(s) that is in here.

To, UNR sometimes people do get REAL words that are nothing to do with peoples ears hearing what they want to hear.
02-15-2015, 09:37 AM
(02-15-2015 08:27 AM)Nyx83 Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is an EVP and how does one get one?]

To, UNR sometimes people do get REAL words that are nothing to do with peoples ears hearing what they want to hear.
[/quote]

Perhaps you could explain why radio stations, high end recording studios, television do not pick up stray noise? Perhaps you can also explain how people who are dead who no longer have a voice box suddenly have an ability to control sound waves?

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
(02-15-2015 09:37 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 08:27 AM)Nyx83 Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is an EVP and how does one get one?]

Perhaps you could explain why radio stations, high end recording studios, television do not pick up stray noise?

[/quote]

Who says they don't? Sure, they do things to minimize interference, but they certainly experience it.

As for the other bit, that's probably why they call it paranormal or supernatural. There is no explanation.
02-15-2015, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015 02:40 PM by UglyNRude.)
While it is impossible to prove that all EVPs are due to natural phenomena, skeptics maintain that they are probably due to such things as interference from a nearby CB operator, cross modulation, or ionospheric ducting. Given all the voices being transmitted these days by cell phones, AM and FM radios, TVs, baby monitors, walkie talkies, shortwave transmitters, etc., it isn't strange that unexpected voices should be heard now and then on our electronic equipment. I've picked up CB transmissions on my VCR and my neighbor's voice from her cordless phone on a baby monitor. Some of the "voices" are most likely people creating meaning out of random noise, a kind of auditory pareidolia or apophenia. And now that the phenomenon has a number of devoted followers (thanks in part to the movie "White Noise"), some hoaxers have probably entered the fray.
http://skepdic.com/evp.html
and of course from a sound engineer
http://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads...-evp.6057/

02-15-2015, 10:30 PM
UglyNRude, I have had Tinitus for several years,and I also had a very awful reaction to two rounds of Spinal Anesthesia,administered 3months apart,during which,for over a year,I heard music,just as loud as if it were coming from my basement,day and night,non-stop. Thankfully,the later finally went away. The reason I mention those things is to let you know that I am fully aware of how we can be thoroughly fooled by how our minds can misinterpret things that we hear.

I am also quite familiar with how many things can be interpreted by our minds as voices,and conversation. I totally agree with all of this being important in investigating. I'm glad you brought it up.

The thing is though, I have something that I know proves to me that something or someone is out there,with us unaware of what is going on around us. The voices are not the kind that we usually hear with Auditory Matrixing. I also know that the recording was done in a building where my daughter and I had the only key, and that it had extremely noisy wood floors,which should have alerted us to anyone coming around. I know too,that before I recorded, I checked to make sure there was not something on the tape (analog), before I recorded. Yes, it was old school equipment,but I do not believe that this made any difference,as again,these voices sounded like nothing I've heard when I hear the voices we think we hear when,say, the furnace runs,or when water is running,or a fan is going,etc. they were very distinct,and said things pertinent to the situation,not random sounding,as from picking up a radio signal,or walking talkie,etc.

My daughter and I were only sleeping feet away from a lot of turmoil,which should have easily waken us up. We heard none of it,until I played the tape.

I am not out to get any recognition by letting people hear my tape. I am doing just what you subscribe to,meaning I am looking at all the possible things that could be natural, and not paranormal causes.

Well, I will say this. I enjoy the actual act of investigating,and when I know I have found something, I am excited. The thing is,I have learned from being in many forums about these things that It can be extremely hard to get E.V.P.s and photos to be taken seriously, and people do not seem to know what there could possibly be to prove evidence is genuine.

So, I Say you have every right to state the things that you know about this,and you should. I have to state though, that I personally have been lucky enough to catch something that,in my experience, and opinion is genuine,and if people ask me if I believe there are genuine paranormal E.V.P.s, I cannot deny that I have captured and heard some. I don't know what or who they are,but I Got to hear them, and it verified for me that Inam really looking for something that is out there.