Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Helpful Tips For Sleep Paralysis
First off let me say this, I have experienced sleep paralysis. It scared me very much, and I started to study and find out everything I could about it. Now it still unnerving, but i understand what it is going on. So please understand I am telling you this as someone who has gone through it, but also who know exactly what is happening.

When you go to sleep your body releases a chemical that paralyzes your body. Your body does this to stop you from acting out your dreams. When your body does this you are not able to freely move. However, when you toss and turn in your sleep, your body doesn't have enough of the chemical in your body. If you are severely low of this chemical it will allow sleep walking to happen.

So here is what happens, if you wake up during a rem cycle before the chemicals leave your body, you will be able to open your eyes, unfortunately you will be unable to move, and you will also be half asleep.

This means that if you are afraid, you may see bad things, hear things that are not there, but the worst part is the feeling of being held down. You will feel a heavy pressure on your chest, that is not a demon, that is the feeling of having no body control, you are feeling what paraplegics feel everyday. Don't even try screaming for someone, it won't work and it to me is the scariest part. Trying and not being able to speak is very unnerving.

If you however understand what is going on, or remain calm you will find that it will be over in a few minutes, and trust me that few minutes can feel like an eternity.

Sleep paralysis can lead to an extreme amount of fear, the feeling of being held down even in normal circumstances is bad enough, so this is insane for some people.

My recommendations to you are first, remain calm and realize what is happening. Second, try to wiggle your fingers and toes, or toss and turn. Don't over exert yourself or freak out because its not working automatically.

This situation has been linked to lucid dreaming as well. If you are trying to lucid dream, please realize that this could happen to you.

Do you have any questions for me?

"There is a reason you have nightmares...now find a way to destroy them"

Telekinesiszone.weebly.com/paranormal-activity-blog
No questions from me, but I do like that you offer suggestions for how to react when it happens. Panic would only make it worse and of course it would be understandable to react that way.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

See I never understood why people don't offer suggestions. If you have truly been through it then you know how terrifying it can be. If anybody just skimmed this or didn't understand the suggestions I will go one more time here.

First off, realize what is happening. Your brain has flooded your body with chemicals to stop you from acting out your dreams. You are not being forced down by an unnatural force, you are paralyzed naturally.

Second off, try to wake your body, try to wiggle toes, fingers, try to roll, most importantly... DO NOT PANIC. You are still half way asleep.

I completely agree with you and I did experience it. It was one of the reasons I started researching paranormal. Another was a rattling door handle, that also turned out to be explainable but it took a couple years to discover why.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(02-04-2015, 06:25 PM)UglyNRude Wrote: I completely agree with you and I did experience it. It was one of the reasons I started researching paranormal. Another was a rattling door handle, that also turned out to be explainable but it took a couple years to discover why.

I am interested to know what the rattling door handle was. Do you mind explaining, if not i completely understand.

(02-04-2015, 07:37 PM)jravity1 Wrote:
(02-04-2015, 06:25 PM)UglyNRude Wrote: I completely agree with you and I did experience it. It was one of the reasons I started researching paranormal. Another was a rattling door handle, that also turned out to be explainable but it took a couple years to discover why.

I am interested to know what the rattling door handle was. Do you mind explaining, if not i completely understand.

Moving items around in my home I blocked a cold air duct in one room So when the furnace was drawing in air it caused a door to a hallway to another duct to rattle the handle. It would only do it when the furnace was starting and a door to another room was closed. I even went as far as mounting a camera to monitor the door on the opposite side.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(02-04-2015, 07:54 PM)UglyNRude Wrote:
(02-04-2015, 07:37 PM)jravity1 Wrote:

Moving items around in my home I blocked a cold air duct in one room So when the furnace was drawing in air it caused a door to a hallway to another duct to rattle the handle. It would only do it when the furnace was starting and a door to another room was closed. I even went as far as mounting a camera to monitor the door on the opposite side.

very nice

A few year back the man I was dating was always on about this as he experienced it quite often. I had heard of it but never found much out though it did sound scary. After talking about it a lot I read about it and experienced it once. I always thought if I ever had it I would open my eyes to see if I saw anything. When it did happen I was falling asleep but was a bit scared to open my eyes I did try moving my arm but couldn't as I knew exactly what was happening I just let myself fall asleep as I knew everything would be ok.
(03-25-2015, 05:41 PM)Marie86 Wrote: A few year back the man I was dating was always on about this as he experienced it quite often. I had heard of it but never found much out though it did sound scary. After talking about it a lot I read about it and experienced it once. I always thought if I ever had it I would open my eyes to see if I saw anything. When it did happen I was falling asleep but was a bit scared to open my eyes I did try moving my arm but couldn't as I knew exactly what was happening I just let myself fall asleep as I knew everything would be ok.

That is great that you remained calm. If your head would have got the better of you, you probably would have started hearing and seeing things that weren't there. Also, I would like to point out that when you studied up on sleep paralysis that it happened. This is a good thing for everyone here to realize. Just remember to do what marie86 did, relax and realize what is going on. Thank you for your comment marie.

Question to the mods, could this get pinned to the top. I feel alot of people come to this site and having it front n center might be beneficial.

Jravity,
If it does get pinned maybe update the title to "Shadow People, and Sleep Paralysis" or "I woke up and couldn't move(Sleep Paralysis)" so folks unfamiliar would have a easier go of it finding help Smile.
"Studies Show...Intelligent girls are more depressed, because they know what the world is really like.....She knows in society she's either a Devil or an Angel with no in between. She speaks in the third person, so that she can forget that she's me." ~Emily Autumn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Paralysis Explained TheGuy 3 1,101 03-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Vultyrex
  Don't believe this was sleep paralysis and need feedback MuZach87 4 2,331 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: CareTaker
  Not sure if it was sleep paralysis but Somethingorother 11 4,492 10-19-2017, 02:46 AM
Last Post: rudidur
  Have You Ever Exerienced Sleep Paralysis? Biggun 101 102,906 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Ghostly Lady
  Sleep Paralysis - Green Mist chopin 3 17,132 01-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: anim8or