Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The "Old Hag" syndrome
In folklore, it is common to hear that sleep paralysis is actually caused by a malevolent spiritual being, even at times being referred to as a demon, called the "Old Hag".

The Old Hag is said to sit on sleeping peoples chest at night and they often wake up to find they have all of their senses yet they can not move or speak and they feel a great weight sitting on their chests and an impending sense of malevolence.

This is an interesting little article about this legend and also the more scientific causes behind this.

http://paranormal.about.com/od/humanenig...ndrome.htm
Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)

Sleep paralysis is so interesting, I've read many similar articles about the scientific explanation for it but there's one thing I can't seem to fit together. I've experienced sleep paralysis for years, and for me it's usually when I'm in bed about to go to sleep. First I hear a ringing noise in my ear and after a while I came to notice that when that ringing happens (you know, when I'm about to go to sleep) I know it's about to happen and I try to jump out of bed. And the weird thing for me is that on a few occasions I have managed to get off the bed and fell flat on the floor before I became fully paralysed. I wonder if that does fit in with the scientific explanation - that I can react before it happens, being awake the whole time, and still have it happen after I move away.
I was actually just looking for information on this!

It's easy to find info on the myth of the 'Old Hag' but I once heard that she had a male counterpart who did essentially the same thing, called the Sandman. I can't really remember the details on him though, something about one of his characteristics being the hat that he wears... Any info on this myth? I'm very curious but google isn't helping me too well.
I've never heard of that myth. Generally the legend of the sandman is that he is the bringer of sleep and good dreams. I'll see what I can find
http://germanstories.vcu.edu/hoffmann/sand_e.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(short_story)

Apparently, the "evil" sandman is called Der Sandmann. He is depicted as nightmarish by the German author E.T.A. Hoffmann in the short story "The Sandman". This was really all I could find. Supposedly instead of throwing sand in the eyes of children to fall asleep and have pleasant dreams, this character would take eyes.
Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)

(01-02-2015, 01:20 PM)WitchMom78 Wrote: In folklore, it is common to hear that sleep paralysis is actually caused by a malevolent spiritual being, even at times being referred to as a demon, called the "Old Hag".

The Old Hag is said to sit on sleeping peoples chest at night and they often wake up to find they have all of their senses yet they can not move or speak and they feel a great weight sitting on their chests and an impending sense of malevolence.

This is an interesting little article about this legend and also the more scientific causes behind this.

Hello WitchMom

I have had many thousands of obes and astral projections in my life and have seen most of these entities in the veil. Here is allot of information on obes and astral projections, I have marked the link at the 5th page but it would be good for anyone trying to understand obes to read this entire thread. http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthre...eet./page5

Here is another thread also started in another forum regarding this subject. http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showt...ocumentary. The video is pretty good and worth a watch.

Powessy
I had an experience last night where it seemed that something was trying to squeeze me. I was lying on my side facing my partner in the "dream," (which was actually true, bc I woke up that way). I felt that something was lying behind me (in spoon position) with its "arms" around me, squeezing very tightly. In the "dream," I decided I wasn't going to put up with that, and I literally willed myself to suck the energy out of the thing. I could feel its energy coursing through me and I could tell that really, really ticked it off...which I found rather humorous. When I woke up, there was still something pressing against me, but with way less force. I put my hand behind me and just brushed it away like a gnat.

Anyway, fun experience, and I thought I'd share it.
I wonder why you could feel but not see or smell it?
(01-17-2015, 05:48 AM)Itheblaze Wrote: I wonder why you could feel but not see or smell it?

*shrugs*

I did get the sense that it was female.
(01-02-2015, 01:20 PM)WitchMom78 Wrote: In folklore, it is common to hear that sleep paralysis is actually caused by a malevolent spiritual being, even at times being referred to as a demon, called the "Old Hag".

I really find this subject interesting. I remember looking up sleep paralysis 13 years ago when I was 13 and started experiencing some weird things in my bedroom. I found this explanation and that sometimes there is a feeling of something evil present and right next to you. This intrigued me. But my problem was always that it would happen before I ever went to sleep, when I was wide awake sometimes even when I was reading before going to bed. I would start to feel this evil presence first and found that I could not turn my head and then my whole body would become paralyzed. I wanted to close my eyes I felt scared but I couldn't. I would start to pray in my mind because I couldn't speak and finally after a few minutes the evil feeling went away and I was able to move again. I always thought I was just scarring myself. But one night a shadow figure jumped out at me while I was reading and I had the exact same paralysis. I prayed in my mind for what felt like 30 minutes before I could finally move again. Lots of things happened in that bedroom but those are all for different threads I believe.
(01-21-2015, 12:17 AM)Sasha6 Wrote:

I really find this subject interesting. I remember looking up sleep paralysis 13 years ago when I was 13 and started experiencing some weird things in my bedroom. I found this explanation and that sometimes there is a feeling of something evil present and right next to you. This intrigued me. But my problem was always that it would happen before I ever went to sleep, when I was wide awake sometimes even when I was reading before going to bed. I would start to feel this evil presence first and found that I could not turn my head and then my whole body would become paralyzed. I wanted to close my eyes I felt scared but I couldn't. I would start to pray in my mind because I couldn't speak and finally after a few minutes the evil feeling went away and I was able to move again. I always thought I was just scarring myself. But one night a shadow figure jumped out at me while I was reading and I had the exact same paralysis. I prayed in my mind for what felt like 30 minutes before I could finally move again. Lots of things happened in that bedroom but those are all for different threads I believe.

Your brain sends chemicals to your body that paralyze you while you are sleeping, if your brain send chemicals to your body early the same paralysis will happen, in order to get your body to get rid of the chemical you shake it off, wiggle your toes or fingers as much as possible like you did. The same chemical is in charge of your sleep, so if sleep paralysis set in early then you would be paralyzed and half dreaming. As we all know when you are afraid we dream of bad things. I am pretty sure that is what happened to you. No evil, no presence, just chemical reactions in the brain.... I am in no way saying I do not believe in the paranormal, but i believe in science first.
"There is a reason you have nightmares...now find a way to destroy them"

Telekinesiszone.weebly.com/paranormal-activity-blog