Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pagans and Evil
01-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Pagans and Evil
I'm only new to this forum so this may have come up before, but I was wondering how other pagans/wiccans here have come to terms with the idea of evil? Considering that there is no devil or satan.

I have often theorized that 'demons' and other 'evil' entities were types of thought forms. In the case of tibetan tulpas for example, one persons dedication and meditation can bring about a materialisation of a thought form. If I were to follow that logic I would assume that the belief in evil and an output of negative energies could cause an entity to take on a life of it's own, yet still be a man-made entity (to put it as simply as possible). Silver Ravenwolf is one author who writes about evil in a similar way.

To take it one step further, if this were the case could we not theorize the same for goddesses? After thousands of years of different cultures beleiving and worshipping a deity, could this act alone be enough to produce an entity we believe to be a goddess?

Sorry if this is a whole lotta rambling but it is something I love to think about and I was wondering if anyone else had similar/contrary thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Pagans and Evil
By this logic you think God, Jesus, Satan, Demons are thought forms Adam and Eve made up? It would have to start with the first pair to start these mighty thought forms. Why make up the thought form God at all? They could have told their children they are God and Goddess?
01-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Well it wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with Adam and Eve at all, if you believe they existed. It was more a question of how much in faith and spiritual experience we can attribute to the power of the mind. I don't think that this possibility would make it any less magical or profound. Would it be wrong to say that certain deities like Goddess or the Christian God possess all traits that are good in the world? Acceptance? Love? forgiveness? That doesn't seem so alien to me.

I believe that people have experiences with things that are seemingly evil - I have had my own experiences - but I don't believe they came from Satan down in hell. So that leads me to this train of thought. I don't necessarily believe whole-heartedly that this is the answer to all that is supernatural and religious, but it was just a train of thought.
01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Where do you think this evil you have experienced comes from? Do you think you have turned against your self by an evil thought form?
01-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Nature has a balance between positive/negative; light/dark; good/evil. Call it whatever you want. Evil is not a Christian concept. It simply means something that's "profoundly immoral and malevolent". So yes, we do believe there is evil in the world. Some of us also believe in angels.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2015, 07:11 AM
(01-01-2015 10:01 PM)Ysbryd Wrote:  Nature has a balance between positive/negative; light/dark; good/evil. Call it whatever you want. Evil is not a Christian concept. It simply means something that's "profoundly immoral and malevolent". So yes, we do believe there is evil in the world. Some of us also believe in angels.

This! Evil, however you want to view it, is not held by any religious dogma. Evil exist in all of nature. There is just no getting around that.

Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)
01-02-2015, 07:15 AM
(01-02-2015 07:11 AM)WitchMom78 Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 10:01 PM)Ysbryd Wrote:  Nature has a balance between positive/negative; light/dark; good/evil. Call it whatever you want. Evil is not a Christian concept. It simply means something that's "profoundly immoral and malevolent". So yes, we do believe there is evil in the world. Some of us also believe in angels.

This! Evil, however you want to view it, is not held by any religious dogma. Evil exist in all of nature. There is just no getting around that.

I can certainly agree with that. And welcome back, Witchmom! Very good to see you on here again.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
01-02-2015, 07:25 AM
I guess I disagree with 'evil' in the Christian sense of it. (And I say 'in the Christian sense' because that was what I grew up with before exploring religion for myself.) I believe in malevolance and negativity in many different kinds of severe ways, but not 'pure evil'.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts guys Smile
01-02-2015, 07:27 AM
(01-02-2015 07:15 AM)scarygirl67 Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 07:11 AM)WitchMom78 Wrote:  

I can certainly agree with that. And welcome back, Witchmom! Very good to see you on here again.

I finally remembered my log on info, lol

Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.
(William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894)
01-02-2015, 09:51 AM
(01-02-2015 07:25 AM)HVB Wrote:  I guess I disagree with 'evil' in the Christian sense of it. (And I say 'in the Christian sense' because that was what I grew up with before exploring religion for myself.) I believe in malevolance and negativity in many different kinds of severe ways, but not 'pure evil'.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts guys Smile

What, exactly, is evil in the Christian sense of it?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user