Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge Trove Of Shipwrecks Reveals Secret History of Shipbuilding
An amazing find for sure!

Quote:A remarkable trove of ancient shipwrecks unearthed in Turkey is yielding new insights into shipbuilding as it was practiced more than a thousand years ago in the Eastern Roman (or Byzantine) Empire.

Since 2004, archaeologists from the Istanbul Archaeological Museums have discovered 37 shipwrecks during excavations in the Istanbul's Yenikapi district. Now, eight of the wrecks--including vessels dating from the 5th Century to the late 10th Century--have been described in a new paper.

And it's a big deal.

"Never before have such a large number and types of well-preserved vessels been found at a single location," study co-author Dr. Cemal Pulak, associate professor at Texas A&M University's Institute of Nautical Archaeology, told The Huffington Post in an email. "Even more fascinating is the fact that we can now trace how ship construction and ship design changed over the course of nearly half a millennium."

Full story (with pics)
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
It's amazing with the lack of technology,tools,equipment.How back then, they were capable of building ships,monuments,buildings,etc.How really sticks out for me.Considering the lack of everything.Look at the pyramids,they did'nt have cranes.This stuff I find very interesting.Ty for shareing,good read also.
Very interesting find indeed. While yes, they did not have the equipment for building things now that we have in modern times, they knew how to work with what they had. I also like that it shows different styles of how ships were built as well.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Tells me they were smarter than we give them credit for. Everyone's quick to think people in the past were dumb as a sack of bricks because we have technology and they didn't. But they had their own kind of technology. Technology simply evolves to the time period it exists in. Clearly it was high tech stuff because they didn't often sink due to manufacturing errors. I mean how often do clothing items made to day fall apart quicker because they were machine made rather than hand made?
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
VERY good point.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html