Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hidden Underwater Wonders
Quote:You’d be forgiven for thinking the above photograph was a digital manipulation, and it’s true that sunken cities have often remained confined to myth, but this mysterious place really does exist.

Really fascinating to see stuff like this. Makes you kinda wonder whether there are any more and how long it will be to unviel other hidden sunken wonders.

What do you think?

Click here for full article
Just going to place this here and walk away very slowly...

Nova.
One of my passions is ghost towns. I don't believe they are haunted, but rather they are a fascinating glimpse into life in the late 1800s especially in the west. I've read of one or two places where the interiors of homes look like they're frozen in time. Like the family just got up in the middle of whatever they were doing and walked away. There are also a handful of towns in California and other states in the West, like this one in China which are underwater, purposefully flooded for man-made lakes.

Excellent find, TotalNova, and the photos are definitely haunting.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
My thoughts exactly. You guys came to mind straight away when I saw and read about it. Love stuff like this as I said. Would love to go to the one that's recently came to life after 25 years of being underwater.

Nova.
Its fun to research ghost towns and weed out the legend to find facts. The legends are what fuel many ghost stories but the facts usually contradict. I think one of the wildest was the Angikuni village in Canada. The story has a few storylines from alien abduction, to a trappers tale.
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4371
and a recently discovered ship wreck
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/...ars-later/
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
My primary source for finding ghost towns is ghosttowns.com. They deal primarily with helping explorers get to the more remote places. Most have pics and some give background information. What blows my mind is a place like Virginia City, Nevada is considered a ghost town, even with a population.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
(10-20-2014, 10:35 PM)Ysbryd Wrote: What blows my mind is a place like Virginia City, Nevada is considered a ghost town, even with a population.

Was it a ghost town before they moved in? That could be one of many reasons I guess lol.

Nova.
No it wasn't. But I think part of the classification for ghost towns is its historical significance. Virginia City sprang up due to the Comstock Lode. The huge silver vein that was discovered around the time of the California Gold Rush.
This is way 2 cool.I love the pics of this underwater,world.I've always wanted 2 go scuba diving.This would definately be a site to see.Amoungest all the others out there.Ty 4 shareing.
I honestly thought this was going to be about Bimini and Atlantis... so glad it's not! Very cool article.
MrsMultiTasker Wrote:This is way 2 cool.I love the pics of this underwater,world.I've always wanted 2 go scuba diving.This would definately be a site to see.Amoungest all the others out there.Ty 4 shareing.

No problem, makes me want to stick my head under the ocean. The only downfall to that is the fact I can't swim due to fear haha.

jadewik Wrote:I honestly thought this was going to be about Bimini and Atlantis... so glad it's not! Very cool article.

Atlantis did come to mind when I saw the article. Like yourself, I was glad it wasn't. Bimini is a new one to enter my ears, might have to do some digging Icontexto-emoticons-01-032x032Icontexto-emoticons-03-032x032

Nova.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Underwater City/Structures off Yonaguni Island CareTaker 7 4,113 02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: CareTaker