Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychological Explanations for Seemingly Paranormal Phenomena
More on non paranormal sightings of ghosts. People seem to not like this type of post as they claim I am calling them all have neurological issues. But I have never said all as there are many causes of seeing ghosts or thinking you have ghosts.
Infrasound, Magnetic fields, a chemical imbalance, neurotoxins, parasomnias, misperceptions and the list goes on and on. Now can people see ghosts? As I have said we can't prove 100% with todays technology. But is it in the future? Yes when we can monitor the brain for periods of time so when a person see's a ghost was the visual cortex showing activity. Its already been shown magnetic pulses cause people to see ghosts, to god, so as i have said more then once the answer lies in the brain. People who claim to be a paranormal investigator should more then anyone else look for non paranormal causes so when they cannot find one then and only then can they say its evidence. Then even then this evidence should be reviewed to see if it has been explained.
http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psycholo...na-0704137

More on infrasound
It is possible that any room with an open doorway or window can operate like a Helmhotz resonator, similar to blowing a column of air across an empty bottle. Subsonic sound can travel long distances, pass through walls and may be amplified in tunnel like structures. Standard hearing protection is of little use for subsonic sound as it often can pass straight through and may even be amplified. There have been links reported between supposedly haunted locations and the presence of infrasound, which is the reason paranormal investigators may monitor infrasound levels whenever possible.
http://www.eastcoastrip.org/did-you-know/infrasound
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
For us to 'talk paranormal' we have to acknowledge what isn't. I realize that these are only suggestions and they do not answer all of what people have seen or felt. What keeps the fascination going for me is learning about the many things that can create a perceived paranormal experience. For any of the 'theories' that are out there on the subject, if these factors are not taken into consideration then the theory isn't a theory--it's an opinion.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Infrasound is pretty interesting. Some people get pretty sick from it. Dizziness, nausea, blunt force-like trauma at higher levels.

And they have attempted to weaponize it, of course. I think most exposure to it comes from things like thunderstorms, but earthquakes, even fairly distant ones, can be heard or sensed.

I can imagine the effects of infrasound on sensitive individuals causing them discomfort or even to feel something is not right. Possibly something paranormal.

The EMF fear cage response is another one where people sensitive to EMF get fearful or panic in the presence of high levels.

All are good and interesting points.

But, there are cases (anecdotal, but frequent) where multiple people see or sense the same thing either at the same time, or at different times in the same place. If these were just general reactions to sound or EMF, the "hallucinations" would not tend to be of the same thing. Just throwing that out there.
We need to remember how the brain works and how easily its fooled. A haunted tour the guide makes up a story of a person who was hanged. Usually at least one person on the tour will feel what was planted in their head. Magicians rely on your faulty wiring to make you see what they want. Here are a few samples of brain tricks. You can make up a story of a haunted house and some paranormal teams will capture what you tell them exists. When multiple people see something its usually did you see that? Now they may have seen something but when you tell them what you saw their mind fills in the blanks and they suddenly saw the same thing.

5 Mind-Blowing Ways Your Senses Lie to You Every Day
Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20391_5-m...z3FPxZ3z19
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
The best case study I've read proving that paranormal phenomena is more psychological than most will admit is within the book The Ghost that Haunted Itself by Jan-Andrew Henderson.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde
With that criteria, everything that we see or hear is only psychological, you see the wall infront of you, but it doesn' t really exist like that, it is really something else, you see yourself at the mirror but you aren' t really like that, you listen someone' s voice and interpretate what is he saying, but the sound isn' t really like that, the colors don' t exist, light has no color, there are microwaves, radiowaves and a lot of other frequencies in front of our nose, but we cannot see or hear them.

And what we get knowing that? that everything is fake, everything is ilussion and there is nothing really out there, but waves, light and frequencies?

We get than a ghost is as real as all the rest of the things, because they are ALL just psychological interpretations.
Run into a wall and Ithink you may prove your own theory wrong.
Study some physics and you can prove that the wall is empty and made of waves like everything else
If you travel in an airplane at match 1, the sound becomes "hard", but at other speeds it trespass you, like the x rays or the ghosts, that aren' t nothing else but waves too
If I turn on my sub woofers, the sound trespass the walls, that proves that they aren' t that hard
Well, I am happy to accept and agree that what UNR is talking about could be a POSSIBLE explanation for seeing ghosts in certain cases, but it is not proof that all sightings are such. And it doesn't answer the questions about most of the sightings I'm aware of.

But it's important to keep looking for normal more mundane reasons for something before going straight to the paranormal. But sometimes, there is nowhere else you can end up, if you are a rational person who trusts your own mind and is open to learn from experiences that might not fit neatly into the "known science" box.
Then put your hand through a wall and see how much it changes. It's not the wall that changes when you turn on your sub woofer. It's the nature of the waves that change when passing through an obstacle.
'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief in ostensibly paranormal phenomena UglyNRude 0 1,828 09-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Last Post: UglyNRude