Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OBE or vivid imagination?
08-16-2014, 06:32 AM
OBE or vivid imagination?
I don't even know what I'm asking here. I kinda sorta have many questions about OBE and the astral projection aspect.

Particularly, what does it feel like? I think I've had experiences but the feelings are very clear and distinct so I guess it would be confirmed for me if other described these feelings. For me I'm very aware but tingly and often even though my eyes are closed I can see, though it's more like tunnel vision. I can hear very very well also and my movement are clumsy. If I think too hard it ends and I'm kinda stuck in a sleep paralysis type state until I'm fully awake.

Also I am curious to know, do bad things lurk close by (or something like that) in the process of astral projection? I always wonder if I'm just having very lucid dreams because the majority of the time when I feel like it's happening I sense something really horrible close by and I hear whispers and see mean looking people that I don't recognise. It's made me very weary and I would like to know if it's just my vivid imagination, of which I do have.

I have gone across the room and into the ceiling and even many years ago outside but I always snap back when something frightening appears. Twice now I've had this same 'travelling' experience, you could call it, but ended up in places I don't recognise at all but I've know that they were bad bad places and felt trapped. I feel a little silly even saying it to be honest but I thought it would be good to hear other people's views and experiences.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2014, 03:06 PM
RE: OBE or vivid imagination?
It's hard to say if this is dreaming, hypnagogic hallucinations, OBE, or what. I think the thing to do is to note specific things you see that you wouldn't be able to report if you were just imagining it, like what you hear, or what you see from a higher perspective.

I used to dream I could will myself around the room, bouncing like a helium balloon off the ceiling, looking down on the room from above. And often dream that I can step off and float down stairs with one step...but I now recognize this is a sign of a dream, so during the dream I know I'm dreaming?
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
It has happened to me once about 4 years ago. I was going through a divorce, friendly, but still very emotional. I was having a bad day and was extremely exhausted. I layed down on my bed, fully clothed. I layed there for 2 or 3 minutes and I felt and HEARD a buzzing sensation around my lower back/upper bottom and area and then I felt myself raising up in the air...up up and up....until I could feel the ceiling. I was scared! I remember feeling the ceiling with my "hands" and trying to remember the patterns and bumps so I could confirm this happened and that I wasn't crazy or dreaming. Then I sensed a not nice entity in the far corner of the room....when I looked, it was just dark...but I sensed it. Eventually I drifted slowly back down in to my body and I thought, "Thanks God! I'm back." And I relaxed for another minute and felt and heard the buzzing sensation again....and I thought, "Here we go again!" And up I went again. This time, I was not afraid...I was excited with the realization that I was having an OBE. I felt like I was also able to control it better. When I wanted down eventually, I was able to do so. Also, this time, the evil entity did not seem evil. I think I recall having the feeling like it was my friend "Dave" that had passed away in our 20's. It was an amazing experience. I don't really know if my body really went up there or if it was just my spirit that did so. It felt so real either way! That was the last time it happened. I think my soul was so 'relaxed' from being exhausted...I was open to this phenomenon!!! I called my mom's "hippy trippy" cousin and told him about what happened. He said, "Oh yes...you had an Astral Projection....that ability runs in our family, particularly among the women. My mom had many experiences.........etc" It was an amazing experience...I hope to someday be able to do this without the mental exhaustion. And it does give me hope/faith in life after death! :-)
11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Thing is when you Astral travel you are in your astral/etheric body and there are a lot of different energies in that dimension that you can become aware of as they can also become aware of you too. A lot of these energies are just thought forms made by us (meaning the human race) but not all, you have to be fully in control of your self belief and power there and don't fear as this is your worst enemy. If you aren't sure or comfortable then get back to your body, while you are away from your body no other energy can inhabit it, it's your body but any injuries you may sustain while on this plane may manifest on your physical body so just be aware of that.
Good luck and happy travelling, there are many places here and other planes/dimensions you can travel to also some more dangerous than others so be careful too.
Hope this helps. I'm sure Nawal will be able to add more if he picks up your thread. Smile

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!
11-12-2014, 12:54 PM
(08-16-2014 03:06 PM)Gizmo Wrote:  It's hard to say if this is dreaming, hypnagogic hallucinations, OBE, or what. I think the thing to do is to note specific things you see that you wouldn't be able to report if you were just imagining it, like what you hear, or what you see from a higher perspective.

I used to dream I could will myself around the room, bouncing like a helium balloon off the ceiling, looking down on the room from above. And often dream that I can step off and float down stairs with one step...but I now recognize this is a sign of a dream, so during the dream I know I'm dreaming?

Yeah, I've had some vivid dreams, and for a very short period of time I can't tell if it's a dream or not because the level of detail I can notice seems real enough.

For a long time I thought this one dream I had as a child was an OBE, but after reading more about it, I don't think so. To give you guys some background. I was raised by my grandparents. One night I was scared so I went to sleep in their bed. I was then on top of the dresser looking down at myself and was shocked by realizing I was looking at myself. I lost my footing and then fell on to my own body, and that's when I woke up.
11-13-2014, 07:26 AM
(08-16-2014 03:06 PM)Gizmo Wrote:  It's hard to say if this is dreaming, hypnagogic hallucinations, OBE, or what. I think the thing to do is to note specific things you see that you wouldn't be able to report if you were just imagining it, like what you hear, or what you see from a higher perspective.

This is my first post on this board, and this is as good as any introduction I can think of to my connection to the paranormal.

When I was a child I thought I had a OBE. I've read more about them since then, so I imagine it was a vivid dream or hypnagogic hallucination. But allow me to share my experience, whatever it was.

I was scared one night, so I went to my parent's room to sleep in their bed. The next thing I know I'm on the top of the dresser and see all of us sleeping on the bed. Combine that with the fact that even as a small child I would not be able to stand on a dresser very long. I lost my footing, and fell in to my body and woke up.

I didn't have any other vivid dreams like that in my childhood. I have had other vivid dreams, but anxiety is not involved. It still is a little strange because there are a few seconds where I feel I can survey the environment I'm in and see things more clearly than I do in other dreams.

As a side note, I've also had experiences in dreams where I know I'm dreaming.

--Will.
11-13-2014, 03:30 PM
That was my first post, too, Will. Welcome.

I also have had dreams where I know that I am dreaming but feels so much more conscious and controllable.

Here's another weird dream....OBE or what the heck was it? I had a college friend that had an abusive boyfriend. He threatened to kill her. After a while I had to distance myself, for my own safety. The guy was not right! Several years later, I read in the paper that he killed her, in a very public way. Shot her at work. I was devastated to read this. That night, I had a dream where I was in (what can best be described as) outer space, completely black, yet I could see....like outerspace....stars....etc. And it was the most peaceful serene feeling I've ever had in my life. It wasn't like dreaming...where everything moves at a faster, surreal pace. It felt like real life in real time...actually it felt like time SLOWED DOWN!!! Then, I saw her and I woke up right away.
11-13-2014, 04:30 PM
(11-13-2014 03:30 PM)Kelazee Wrote:  That was my first post, too, Will. Welcome.

I also have had dreams where I know that I am dreaming but feels so much more conscious and controllable.

Here's another weird dream....OBE or what the heck was it? I had a college friend that had an abusive boyfriend. He threatened to kill her. After a while I had to distance myself, for my own safety. The guy was not right! Several years later, I read in the paper that he killed her, in a very public way. Shot her at work. I was devastated to read this. That night, I had a dream where I was in (what can best be described as) outer space, completely black, yet I could see....like outerspace....stars....etc. And it was the most peaceful serene feeling I've ever had in my life. It wasn't like dreaming...where everything moves at a faster, surreal pace. It felt like real life in real time...actually it felt like time SLOWED DOWN!!! Then, I saw her and I woke up right away.

I just realized I double posted, so I apologize because it annoys me when I see other people do that. I should note that I did change the story some. The grand parents part was right. I just don't always tell people that's how I was raised, and it's not an important detail for the story. I do look forward to hearing other accounts on this subject matter and dreaming. I did a research paper on parasomnias and still very much interested in material scholarly or otherwise in relation to dreaming.

--Will.
11-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Check out David Hufford's videos on sleep paralysis. He is interesting. He studied this for a long time, and has some very surprising conclusions or theories about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21kW39Ic...A8DCBDCFA5
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Some of what you seem to be talking about is called lucid dreaming where you are awake in your dream time and can control it try google you'll find out more.

As far as astral projection/O.B.E. you might find a book by C.W.Leadbeater called "The Astral Plane: It's scenery, Inhabitants and Phenomena" useful, it is in print.

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!