Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who believes in magic?
07-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Who believes in magic?
I'm not talking about Harry Potter or anything like that. I mean like maybe moving items with the mind or something like that. I'm leaning toward no on this being true but want to hear opinions!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
RE: Who believes in magic?
Depends on the definition

I believe in this one
the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices or tricks of the mind.

Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
07-27-2014, 09:07 AM
The idea of things like "moving items with your mind" or shapeshifting that people get when they hear "magic" are ridiculous to me. I would never imagine a human being able to defy physics.

On the other hand, I am an occultist. I believe I can manipulate subtle energies to affect the likelyhood of something happening, recieve information from my subconscious and through spiritual means, manipulate a persons perception of myself, and help in the healing (or worsening) of wounds and relationships, among other things.

I have percieved results after performing actions, and this leads me to believe in magic. It is possible I am delusional, or mistaken. But whether the results are from magic or a poor understanding of mainstream science I am applying, I would rather not know for fear that once I know, I would stop getting results.

"I guess the battle between Good and Evil is sort of irrelevant."
07-27-2014, 09:19 AM
(07-27-2014 08:12 AM)believer17 Wrote:  I'm not talking about Harry Potter or anything like that. I mean like maybe moving items with the mind or something like that. I'm leaning toward no on this being true but want to hear opinions!

I think that's telekinesis, you mean. Magick isn't telekinesis.

I think telekinesis is possible, but I've never seen it demonstrated. I've done magick, and I believe there have been actual outcomes.
07-27-2014, 09:24 AM
(07-27-2014 09:19 AM)ChaosRose Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 08:12 AM)believer17 Wrote:  I'm not talking about Harry Potter or anything like that. I mean like maybe moving items with the mind or something like that. I'm leaning toward no on this being true but want to hear opinions!

I think that's telekinesis, you mean. Magick isn't telekinesis.

I think telekinesis is possible, but I've never seen it demonstrated. I've done magick, and I believe there have been actual outcomes.
I guess I was getting telekinesis and magic mixed up. I'm curious about this magic business. Is it a religion thing or spell books?
07-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Both in a way. Magic is closely tied to religion, every religion uses magic, despite what some would say otherwise. Many separate the two, but you can't deny they are connected.

However, you can have magic without religion, at least by these people's logic. You don't need to believe in a certain God or practice a certain way, or even have certain morals.

I consider science, magic, and religion to be the same thing. Each grows, evolves, and helps us understand the world.

07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I don't think magic has any meaning without religion. I mean it could be there, but I think it could be easily be turned evil. I don't maybe I'm completely wrong.
07-27-2014, 09:44 AM
(07-27-2014 09:35 AM)believer17 Wrote:  I don't think magic has any meaning without religion. I mean it could be there, but I think it could be easily be turned evil. I don't maybe I'm completely wrong.

I think it depends on how you use the knowledge about it for; I believe everything can be used for good or bad causes...

Forgive my English, I think my Bahasa is better Smile
07-27-2014, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 09:45 AM by Punky.)
Magic has meaning the same way tying a knot, knowing how to write, and fishing have meaning. It's a useful skill. It just so happens to be a skill which can be used in a religious setting.

07-27-2014, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 09:49 AM by ChaosRose.)
Magick is a craft that can be practiced along with, or in the absence of any religion. People work it for various reasons, which can include material gain, healing, retribution, protection, gnosis, and union with the divine.