Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paranormal Beliefs and Cognitive ProcessesUnderlying the Formation of Delusions

Interesting study
Real paranormal research in where paranormal is created.
This study explored the relationship between paranormal beliefs and some cognitive and metacognitive factors known to be implicated in the formation of delusions.
Confirmation bias is a tendency whereby a person, having drawn an inference (however tentatively), thenceforth unwittingly devotes most attention to confirmatory evidence and neglects inconsistent information.Confirmation bias is common for strongly held beliefs among the general population and occurs under a broad range of circumstances

http://www.academia.edu/4121405/Paranorm..._delusions
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Sorry I could'nt read the dialog it kept denying me.I'll try later ty for shareing.
I have been picking through that study for a little while now--great one to share.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

(07-18-2014, 12:26 PM)UglyNRude Wrote: Interesting study
Real paranormal research in where paranormal is created.
This study explored the relationship between paranormal beliefs and some cognitive and metacognitive factors known to be implicated in the formation of delusions.
Confirmation bias is a tendency whereby a person, having drawn an inference (however tentatively), thenceforth unwittingly devotes most attention to confirmatory evidence and neglects inconsistent information.Confirmation bias is common for strongly held beliefs among the general population and occurs under a broad range of circumstances

http://www.academia.edu/4121405/Paranorm..._delusions

It's confirmation bias to assume that everyone experiencing the paranormal is delusional.
Have I stated everyone? There are many causes besides being delusional. Fantasy prone personalities, corner eye phenomenon, misperceptions, pareidolia, parasomnias, infrasound, magnetic fields, toxins, being abused as a child and a host of other NON paranormal explanations. the problem is people refuse to look at non paranormal causes because they want to believe what they experienced is paranormal as to an issue with the brain.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
(07-19-2014, 11:08 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: Have I stated everyone? There are many causes besides being delusional. Fantasy prone personalities, corner eye phenomenon, misperceptions, pareidolia, parasomnias, infrasound, magnetic fields, toxins, being abused as a child and a host of other NON paranormal explanations. the problem is people refuse to look at non paranormal causes because they want to believe what they experienced is paranormal as to an issue with the brain.

This is how I take your above statement...
Soo... because there are these non paranormal excuses there is no reason to ever think anything might possibly be paranormal...

It's statements like these that make it very apparent you are a very closed minded skeptic and there is no room to even consider the paranormal might real.

And the way I see you is everything is paranormal because you will not look for answers. photo anomalies? Not understanding equipment? Show me paranormal not some youtube video promoting books, fishing for a movie.
Whateva m8,

I'm open minded to both sides. I don't believe everything is paranormal...
I've voiced my concern about some of the "advise" coming out of this forum.
You've seen me go both ways. I've put down images that were claimed to be paranormal.

You are just totally negative about everything. It's very clear where you stand.
Rather than focus on what you find wrong about someone's presentation of something--did anyone actually read the paper enough to give commentary on it specifically? Or is it just pointless for the skeptics to post anything to offer as alternative suggestions to what people perceive as paranormal?

I suggest reading the study if you haven't yet. A lot of good insight.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

(07-20-2014, 05:43 AM)scarygirl67 Wrote: Rather than focus on what you find wrong about someone's presentation of something--did anyone actually read the paper enough to give commentary on it specifically? Or is it just pointless for the skeptics to post anything to offer as alternative suggestions to what people perceive as paranormal?

I suggest reading the study if you haven't yet. A lot of good insight.

Why the assumption that no one read it? I'm not UNR.

The main issue with the study is that they realize that they can't prove falsity of many paranormal claims, but yet they still have this desire to categorize them as delusional. Why is it so important to do this? They have already established that people with these beliefs don't meet the criteria for psychotic individuals.

Clearly, if what you are experiencing is actually happening, then you are not deluded...no matter how a scientist decides to tweak the definition of delusion.

There's also the issue of them using an ad populum argument to address the problem of massive amounts of people believing in some form of religion. That doesn't qualify under their ideas of delusion because more people believe in it than those who believe in the paranormal. This is a logical fallacy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paranormal Beliefs and Cognitive ProcessesUnderlying the Formation of Delusion UglyNRude 4 3,170 04-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: oldestone
  Child abuse leads to paranormal beliefs UglyNRude 31 22,238 06-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Charmybee2014