Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the difference between Paganism, Wicca & Witchcraft?
07-05-2014, 06:27 PM
What's the difference between Paganism, Wicca & Witchcraft?
I've been doimg a little reading and found the religion/s of Wicca, Paganism & Witchcraft. I know there are 'sub religions' I guess you would call them, and was just wondering if anyone could explain the difference to each catagory? I'm quite intrigued by them and am considering becoming one of them...I just need to wrap my head around the concept and figure out which would be best for me.

Thankyou! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: What's the difference between Paganism, Wicca & Witchcraft?
Wicca is a specific religion started in the 60's focusing on the worship of a God and a Goddess.

Paganism is an umbrella term for the revival of ancient religions, or the creation of new religions rooted in ancient ones.

Witchcraft is a form of European folk magic.

"I guess the battle between Good and Evil is sort of irrelevant."
07-06-2014, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 04:26 PM by ChaosRose.)
(07-05-2014 06:27 PM)SpiritWalker Wrote:  I've been doimg a little reading and found the religion/s of Wicca, Paganism & Witchcraft. I know there are 'sub religions' I guess you would call them, and was just wondering if anyone could explain the difference to each catagory? I'm quite intrigued by them and am considering becoming one of them...I just need to wrap my head around the concept and figure out which would be best for me.

Thankyou! Smile

Witchcraft isn't a religion. It's a practice. Witchcraft can be practiced along with, or in the absence of any religion.

Wicca is a fertility cult that's about 70 years old. It was formed by Gerald Gardner who was considerably influenced by Crowley and the OTO.

Nowadays, you still have various Trad Wiccans and newer eclectic neo-Wiccans who kind of mishmash a lot of stuff together and work mostly solitary. Trad Wicca, however, is orthopraxic and initiatory. One who is not yet initiated by a Trad coven would not even be aware of who their god and goddess are, as that is oathbound information.

Paganism, or neo-paganism as is the case, can be broad. There are Asatruans, neo-Druids, various reconstructionists...the list goes on and on. It's not necessary to practice witchcraft to be pagan.

Occultism is another area you may not have thought about. This covers ceremonial magicians, Thelema, gnostics, etc.

Then there are the syncretic belief systems, such as Vodou, Santeria, Palo Mayombe, etc. The folk magic system being Hoodoo.

There are folks who have mingled belief systems together, such as Christian witches, Christo-pagans, etc. A lot of Christian witches practice folk magic that utilizes bible passages and such. There is hexerei-braucherei/pow-wow.
(07-05-2014 09:26 PM)Punky Wrote:  Wicca is a specific religion started in the 60's focusing on the worship of a God and a Goddess.

Paganism is an umbrella term for the revival of ancient religions, or the creation of new religions rooted in ancient ones.

Witchcraft is a form of European folk magic.

I would have to say that witchcraft isn't solely a European phenomenon.
07-06-2014, 04:58 PM
You want a breakdown of these....got a few years... it isn't simple or straightforward, as Rose stated there are many variables, some aspects overlap with others. Check some out and just go with what suits you, it may even be a mixture of the many different philosophies but does it matter?

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!
07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
(07-06-2014 04:58 PM)pix Wrote:  You want a breakdown of these....got a few years... it isn't simple or straightforward, as Rose stated there are many variables, some aspects overlap with others. Check some out and just go with what suits you, it may even be a mixture of the many different philosophies but does it matter?

Sometimes it matters to mix stuff if one doesn't have the knowledge to go along with it. An easy example is a neo-wiccan trying to plug the Lwa into a Wiccan framework, and not having the slightest clue about how to work with them.

I just saw some post from a guy who wants to attract a spirit lover and is using Wicca, the Goetia, the Necronomicon, and the Lwa. Wow...just wow.
07-06-2014, 05:23 PM
The Triple Veve of Cthulhu.

07-06-2014, 05:23 PM
LOL....Maybe I should have been clearer so sorry, by taking what feels right for you I didn't mean throwing the kitchen sink in with it!! choose what feels right and is compatible both with your thoughts and philosophies it doesn't have to fit into with just one, paganism and wicca can mix comfortably as an example, but to mix together different occult practices is another matter.

You walk in the long grass and wonder why you can not see!!
07-06-2014, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 05:38 PM by SpiritWalker.)
Ok. My brain has been fried lol.

I think I kinda sorta get it. A little.

Witchcraft is a practice, not a religion...so I could still be a Buddhist/Evoloutionist and practice Witchcraft.

Wicca is a kind of religion where you can mish mash things together and go about your merry way.

Pagan is more of a way of life...I mean they all are but...oh you know what I mean.
I think I need a trip to the library....books. Lots of books.

Dance a little on the dark side of life. You might enjoy it.
07-06-2014, 05:42 PM
That's not what Wicca is at all.

07-06-2014, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 05:48 PM by ChaosRose.)
(07-06-2014 05:38 PM)SpiritWalker Wrote:  Ok. My brain has been fried lol.

I think I kinda sorta get it. A little.

Witchcraft is a practice, not a religion...so I could still be a Buddhist/Evoloutionist and practice Witchcraft.

Wicca is a kind of religion where you can mish mash things together and go about your merry way.

Pagan is more of a way of life...I mean they all are but...oh you know what I mean.
I think I need a trip to the library....books. Lots of books.

There's Trad Wicca, which is orthopraxic and initiatory. Then there are Scott Cunninham type neo-wiccans who believe they can initiate themselves. They tend to be eclectic, and a Trad Wiccan wouldn't accept them as Wiccan. These are the Llewellyn-reading types who think they can just plug any god or goddess into the framework.

If you're interested in real Wicca, then read Gerald Gardner, Vivian Crowley, Janet and Stewart Farrar, and Doreen Valiente. Don't read Silver Ravenwolf, or DJ Conway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Paganism and Wicca? Silent Truths 7 2,302 03-26-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: Wiccan_Goddess