Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Buried Alive
[Image: story.jpg]

I had an interesting and disturbing story sent to me yesterday about being buried alive, which drew some interesting comments.

It was from a man in France who's mum had told him about a woman in their village who had supposedly died and then when she was exhumed for whatever reason she was found to have bled from her fingers whilst scratching at the coffin and most of her hair had been torn out.

Here's what it says about it on Wikipedia: (I also found many more stories after searching the internet).

"Throughout history there have been numerous cases of people being accidentally buried alive. The 18th century had seen the development of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and crude defibrillation techniques to revive persons considered dead, and the Royal Humane Society had been formed as the Society for the Recovery of Persons Apparently Dead.[2] In 1896 an American funeral director, T.M. Montgomery, reported that “nearly 2% of those exhumed were no doubt victims of suspended animation.”

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
Glad to see you EP!

I do think that that would be probably one of the worse ways to meet the grim reaper. Can you even imagine the horror of it?

Edgar Allen Poe wrote about it, the name of the book escapes me at the moment and i only read it on the internet today. I'll try and find it again, it was so interesting.

(06-30-2009, 09:35 AM)Pitch Potter Wrote: Glad to see you EP!

I do think that that would be probably one of the worse ways to meet the grim reaper. Can you even imagine the horror of it?

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
There were indeed many people buried alive throughout history which led to the hundreds of inventions and patents to signal those above. People had phobias about being buried alive. Taphephobia is the fear of being buried alive.
To read all sorts of awesome buried alive stories.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/buried.asp
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Well i've made sure that this doesn't happen to me, in my will i've asked to have a stake driven through my heart after ive died, for that reason and another Tongue Grin

(06-30-2009, 10:01 AM)UglyNRude Wrote: There were indeed many people buried alive throughout history which led to the hundreds of inventions and patents to signal those above. People had phobias about being buried alive. Taphephobia is the fear of being buried alive.
To read all sorts of awesome buried alive stories.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/buried.asp

Not to worry! If you aren't dead when you get to the embalmers, you will be when you leave!

(06-30-2009, 10:08 AM)Pitch Potter Wrote: Not to worry! If you aren't dead when you get to the embalmers, you will be when you leave!

Ummm, maybe you haven't heard but green burials are making a comeback. You can search green burials and I think you might be surprised.

With a green burial your also saving money besides saving the environment. No embalming, no casket, you end up nourishing the earth and the only chemicals you take with you are all the man made stuff you ingested during life.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
I have heard something of it over the last year or so, something else to worry about I assumed. Sad

Well at least you'll choke to death on the soil, if you weren't already dead...great!!!

I haven't had chance to look on that link you gave UNR, do they have any stories of people coming round in coffins which are about to be cremated?

(06-30-2009, 10:37 AM)UglyNRude Wrote:
(06-30-2009, 10:08 AM)Pitch Potter Wrote: Not to worry! If you aren't dead when you get to the embalmers, you will be when you leave!

Ummm, maybe you haven't heard but green burials are making a comeback. You can search green burials and I think you might be surprised.

With a green burial your also saving money besides saving the environment. No embalming, no casket, you end up nourishing the earth and the only chemicals you take with you are all the man made stuff you ingested during life.

How about the reports of recent years of people coming around in the morgue? One awoke just as the scalpel cut into the flesh.