Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
winchester mystery house
Has anyone ever been there? I want to go so bad. Have always been I rested since I saw rose red.
Sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast
I haven't been there. I HAVE seen documentaries of that house. I would love to go, myself. Smile
Blue Cat Cat lover.

"We are all a little weird and life is a little weird.
And when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."

-Dr. Seuss
Yea seeing the house on shows just captivates me.
Sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast
Ive been able to visit this mansion twice. As far as mansions go, it is fantastic. As far as paranormal activity goes, I wasn't impressed. Not that i don't think its possible that this place is haunted, but I didnt experience anything. Also didnt get that weird "vibe" I usually get in a place that has activity. Like the Barton mansion, for instance. I got the creepiest, spine tingling feelings when I visited there. The house just felt unwelcoming. Almost angry that we were there.

The Winchester house is creepy in its own right. I think largely due to its randomness. I wouldnt mind going back again.
I am hoping someone here will have additional information on the Winchester Mystery House. I had an acquaintance in the Navy give me his opinion on it one time. According to him the house was actually the result of the late Mrs. Winchester not wanting the people working on the house to be out of a job. His story was that she had hired workers to build onto the house but the local economy had been poor and many of the workers didn't know if they could find work when the job was complete. Mrs. Winchester began making up additional construction to prevent them from being unemployed. Later as she grew older and began getting senile was when she turned heavily to spiritualism, began seeing ghosts, and began to believe that the ghosts were pursuing her from room to room.

Can anyone corroborate this story?
-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

I worked at the Winchester House and the story above is true. People think of the Great Depression as the only depression this nation has ever been through. Truth is that there have been, and will be, others. However, Mrs. Winchester was also very spiritual and did, indeed, host séances and indulge in other such pursuits.

The site is very haunted. I am a sensitive when it comes to the spirit world, and my position in the maintenance department had me going into parts of the house that aren't open to the public. John Hansen, Mrs. Winchester's foreman, can still be sensed at his house. (He lived on the grounds.) I've seen an entity I believe to have been the head butler (the one who turned Teddy Roosevelt away). I've sensed an angry servant who didn't want anyone lingering too long near the quarters on the third floor. I also think I met the Grand Lady herself by the old maintenance shed. Many tourists would remark how neat it was for us to have people in Victorian costumes walking around the place. Then we'd have to explain that we had no such employees.

The séance room is truly the heart of the house. If you go there, relax your mind when you go in. You just might detect something.

It has been some time since I worked there, but I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.
(01-02-2016, 08:21 PM)Shiftkitty Wrote: I worked at the Winchester House and the story above is true. People think of the Great Depression as the only depression this nation has ever been through. Truth is that there have been, and will be, others. However, Mrs. Winchester was also very spiritual and did, indeed, host séances and indulge in other such pursuits.

The site is very haunted. I am a sensitive when it comes to the spirit world, and my position in the maintenance department had me going into parts of the house that aren't open to the public. John Hansen, Mrs. Winchester's foreman, can still be sensed at his house. (He lived on the grounds.) I've seen an entity I believe to have been the head butler (the one who turned Teddy Roosevelt away). I've sensed an angry servant who didn't want anyone lingering too long near the quarters on the third floor. I also think I met the Grand Lady herself by the old maintenance shed. Many tourists would remark how neat it was for us to have people in Victorian costumes walking around the place. Then we'd have to explain that we had no such employees.

The séance room is truly the heart of the house. If you go there, relax your mind when you go in. You just might detect something.

It has been some time since I worked there, but I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you! It's always great to get a firsthand account instead of repeated rumors.

DFB
-DFB

Subject: I have a black cat.
Believer: Black cats are bad luck.
Non-believer: It's just a cat.
Crackpot: Black cats are part of the New World Order government conspiracy.
Skeptic: I can test if black cats are more or less lucky than another cat.
Cynic: You only have a black cat to gain power and prestige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

You're welcome! It was a fun place to work, and we got to take midnight tours for free when they were available.
(03-03-2014, 05:41 PM)JustTerri Wrote: Has anyone ever been there? I want to go so bad. Have always been I rested since I saw rose red.

I grew up in the San Jose , CA area so I went to the Winchester house twice, when I was in my teens.

Meh.

Not really spooky at all. But weird.

Hallways and doors that lead nowhere. Lots of labyrinthian halls. Needless doors and rooms.

The story goes that Mrs. Winchester was of course the widow of the inventor of that eponymous rifle.

She felt ghosts of those the rifle had killed were haunting her.

So she went to a psychic who told her as long as she kept adding on to the house the ghosts would leave her alone.

I am not quite sure about the logic to this, but that is the story as best I can recall.

I never felt any strange vibes or presences there. At all.

Just an old weird rambling house built by a rich crazed guilt plagued womam.
(10-04-2015, 03:41 PM)Darkforeboding Wrote: I am hoping someone here will have additional information on the Winchester Mystery House. I had an acquaintance in the Navy give me his opinion on it one time. According to him the house was actually the result of the late Mrs. Winchester not wanting the people working on the house to be out of a job. His story was that she had hired workers to build onto the house but the local economy had been poor and many of the workers didn't know if they could find work when the job was complete. Mrs. Winchester began making up additional construction to prevent them from being unemployed. Later as she grew older and began getting senile was when she turned heavily to spiritualism, began seeing ghosts, and began to believe that the ghosts were pursuing her from room to room.

Can anyone corroborate this story?

No..there is more to the story as to why the crazy labyrinth house was built like that.

See my OP.

Thanks!

[Image: Ticket.jpg]

[Image: Map.jpg]

...been a while since I visited. I really enjoyed the place. The feeling I got was inviting, but off-putting. Enjoy these photos.... they are a bit grainy because they are scans of film photos from a cheap, disposable camera.

[Image: House3.jpg]

[Image: 13Bush.jpg]

[Image: House2.jpg]
Above, the kitchen table where some visitors have seen a woman in Victorian dress drinking tea.

[Image: House1.jpg]
Above, Mrs. Winchester's bedroom.

[Image: House4.jpg]

[Image: House6.jpg]
All Posted Photos Shared Under Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported
Attribute by linking to a thread originally posted by me, Jadewik. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winchester Mystery House jadewik 9 12,662 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Andrasta