Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Preacher Bound For Hell
06-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Preacher Bound For Hell
There was a recent discussion on here about whether or not you could live a good life and go to heaven or be a good spirit or whatever you prefer to call it. If you believe in the bible, you can not simply be a good person and go to heaven, you have to repent and be saved.

Unlike some religions believe, I do not believe that anyone can "pray" you into heaven once you're dead. If all it took was for someone to pray your soul into heaven then why would anyone serve any God? They wouldn't! They would do what ever they wanted while they lived and then get a "free" ticket into heaven.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to voice my opinions, I started it to tell a story about a preacher that lived near here. I've meant to post this story several times and gotten busy and forgotten.

I did not know this preacher personally, but the story was told to me by several people that I trust. And, one of these people did know this preacher although not on a really close basis. Also, it's been awhile since I was told about this, so I might not remember every little detail exactly right.

From what I remember..............

This preacher had been a Christian since he was a young boy. He had grown up going to church and eventually started preaching and became a pastor of his own church.

I can not remember what was wrong with him, but he was dying. As he lay on his death bed, he saw the pits of hell and he was terrified. He got his wife to get a cassette recorder and he made a statement......

He said that all his life he'd lived the way he'd been taught to live in the church he was raised in. And, now that he was on his deathbed he had been shown that he was going to hell because the way he'd lived wasn't the right way.

He said that even though he'd thought he was a Christian, that he realized now that he was a sinner and needed to repent to be saved. This man that had thought he had been a Christian since he was a young boy and had been a preacher for the biggest part of his life, repented on his deathbed.

No, I have never heard the recording and it's been so many years ago now that I doubt it even still exists. But, like I said, I trust that the people that told me about this were truthful.

People get born into these religions, they're taught from a young age that this way is right, that way is right. If this man lived his life in the way that he was taught was right and still was looking into the pits of hell as he was dying, then just being a good person isn't enough to get you into heaven.

I never knew this man and don't know how he lived. But, I think his story is a good example of how we each need to find our own salvation and not rely on what we're taught in any church by any man or woman.

I realize there are some here in the forum that don't believe in the bible, don't believe in heaven or even in God in the traditional sense. That's fine who is to say who is right or wrong. I'm just saying that whether you believe you go to heaven or believe that you end up as a good spirit or something else, I believe it takes more to attain that than just being a nice person.

Paranormal Q&A
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
RE: Preacher Bound For Hell
That was a wonderful story, Haunted. Anytime I talk about what I believe, there is an emphasis on "this is what works for me". My parents were basically agnostic and when I went to live with my grandmother at 15, I was made to go to church. I had to go full circle in my own life before finding what worked for me.

In my opinion, God looks at a person's heart. Anyone can live by a list of "do and don't" rules, but I believe He is pleased with true intent.

Each person's salvation is their own to achieve, in their own time. But not because it's what you were "taught". It has to come from the heart.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
I guess that we'll all find out one day that a belief is something to be feared, and an idea is something to be had. Noone is afraid of an idea, but people are scared to death of beliefs. You make a very good point.

...and I saw there was a path to Hell, even from the gates of Heaven.
07-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Sometimes when someone is about to die, they may hallucinate. It's not uncommon, infact it happened to both my great grandmothers.
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Bracket,
I have to agree with u .... I have two friends who r both RN one works for the hospital and the other works for home care...but anyways the stories about the elderly...

"I'm extraordinarily patient provided i get my way in the end." -Margaret Thatcher
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." -Coco Chanel...

Taz
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
That was good Haunted and i agree that if you are following a cult or religion that is not what you think it is, then it could be risky and i also agree with you scary that God knows what's in our heart. I mean, for goodness sake Hitler and Saddam Hussein believed in God, now if they're in heaven then there's something wrong with the system (sorry God [Image: 116.gif] )

(06-21-2009 10:48 PM)scarygirl67 Wrote:  That was a wonderful story, Haunted. Anytime I talk about what I believe, there is an emphasis on "this is what works for me". My parents were basically agnostic and when I went to live with my grandmother at 15, I was made to go to church. I had to go full circle in my own life before finding what worked for me.

In my opinion, God looks at a person's heart. Anyone can live by a list of "do and don't" rules, but I believe He is pleased with true intent.

Each person's salvation is their own to achieve, in their own time. But not because it's what you were "taught". It has to come from the heart.

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific...
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I guess I would have to ask what else did the priest practice in his life that perhaps he was taught was right, but would actually be sinful? A lot of holy people are being arrested these days for some pretty bothersome things.
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I wish he'd explained what the RIGHT way to live was - save us all this wondering!

On a serious note, this kind of thing scares me. As a believer in heaven/hell/God, I often wonder what's the right way, what's the true way, what does God want etc.
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
God knows our heart and how we are our raised.
I'm not 100% sure but maybe he did things that wasn't right, but he thought since he was a preacher he could do them???
Again, I'm not sure but just my thoughts...
09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
That makes sense, you cannot just enter heaven by being a Christian, you must follow the Bible, the commandments and keep true to God's teachings, no use being a Christian when you dont live by the word

Ignorance is Bliss but Knowledge is Power