Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Florida
06-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Florida
John Denham House, Monticello

A friend and I have plans to spend a weekend here in October for Samhain. I'm looking forward to it. Big Grin

What would you do if you knew nothing about me, yet I said that I'd protect you with my life, then died doing just that and later you discovered I was someone you would've hated had our paths crossed under different circumstances?

It's all just one big *facepalm* around here.

I heart Sandra Bullock.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2009, 05:59 AM
RE: Florida
I hope you have a very pleasant visit and can relax. I think we all would love some pictures.

Characters Environments
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. (Chinese Proverb)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I had a very enjoyable weekend last month. We were there the 16-18th. We met many nice people and one special doggie. Smile

What would you do if you knew nothing about me, yet I said that I'd protect you with my life, then died doing just that and later you discovered I was someone you would've hated had our paths crossed under different circumstances?

I heart Sandra Bullock.
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
From what I heard, it sounded like you had a great time, Andraste...I would love to be able to go to something like that for the weekend....it sounded very laid back and friendly.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html
11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
It was save for the having to get up at the butt crack of dawn for a day of lecturing I could've done without. Tongue

I heart Sandra Bullock.
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2009 09:24 AM by Graveyard Hound.)
(06-19-2009 09:50 PM)Andraste Wrote:  John Denham House, Monticello

A friend and I have plans to spend a weekend here in October for Samhain. I'm looking forward to it. Big Grin

I would imagine there would be a lot of B&B in Florida that would see business, both in the summer and winter, for those folks from northern states. Never stayed in one except a one at Key West and it was sorta "pricey" but it was nice, rooms were very nice, neat and clean. I'd say any Chamber of Commerence could provide just about anything one might find helpful.

The notion of picking one time of the year to be decent to other people is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable wretches the rest of the year.
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
La Concha Hotel, Key West FL
In 2001 my husband and I planned a trip to Key West for the first week of November. We decided to stay a the La Concha Hotel on Duvall Street as it was a historic building, centrally located and the tallest building on the island with a bar on the roof and a bar on the ground, making it very Fantasy Fest friendly.

Some time after booking our hotel, we discovered that the La Concha had a reputation for being haunted; it was featured on the Discovery Channel. According to the show, the La Concha's fifth floor was a hotspot and generally very busy with weird stuff going on. But this didn't change our minds about going, in fact we decided it might be fun to investigate these claims for ourselves.

Upon arrival we were informed that our room was on the second floor and not the fifth but we agreed to keep the room as it had a balcony that overlooked the Fantasy Fest parade on Duvall. So each night during our stay we would go up to the fifth floor and walk the halls taking pictures, both with a Sony Mavica and a disposable camera. Of the first four nights we were there, we never saw anything and began to think it was all a big story to get people to stay there. We tried being nice. That didn't work. Then we tried calling them names (which I won't repeat here, lulz).

On the fifth and final night, things changed drastically. We took pictures on the fifth floor as per usual and nothing weird happened. So we just gave up, figuring that ghosts don't like us or something and went back to our room to go to sleep we had an early flight was the next day. We were both sound asleep when it happened.

In the middle of the night we were startled awake by the most terrifying babbling/screaming sound and the loudest banging noise either of us had ever heard. This noise came from EVERYWHERE you couldn't sit up in bed and pinpoint the origin of the noise; it was all over the room.

The noise sounded vaguely male but the noises were really guttural like an animal. The closest I can come to describing it would be the scene in Cape Fear where Robert DeNiro is speaking in tongues. Only at screaming pitch. With banging like wood splitting.

Both my husband and I literally hid under the covers and after a time (can't say how long, a minute? two?), it just stopped. Pure silence as sudden as the racket had started. After a long time we convinced ourselves that it was some drunks in the hallway and finally went back to sleep.

The next morning the man in the next room was leaving the same time we were and I asked him if he heard the noise last night (thinking it might have been him screaming like a crazy man and splitting wood in the hallway ) and he told us he didn't hear a thing. Now this was SO loud, the whole hall should have heard it. We gave up, chalked it up as our own dream and went home where the whole thing was just sort of forgotten.

Some time later we were packing for a short trip and discovered a disposable camera in the side pocket of a suitcase. Not remembering what was on it, we took it to be developed. When we got back, we realized this was the camera we used in Key West.

And what we saw made our blood run cold.

This picture is of our room when I got creeped out while doing my hair. I came out of the bathroom, grabbed the camera from the foyer and shot a picture down the wall to the living area. This was in the mid-morning sometime:

[Image: concha2.jpg]

This image is from the fifth floor hallway. That is NOT a finger or light fixture obstructing the top. Look at the hazy mist that creates almost a hole or cavern in the middle of the shot.

[Image: Concha1-1.jpg]

This is another picture from the fifth floor hallway. Notice how the light extends from the orange and is actually reflected on the wall:

[Image: concha3.jpg]

(These pictures are low res and don't even begin to show you how deep the colors in the actual photos are.)

All I know is that my husband and I were never been so terrified in our entire lives. Research I have done into the hauntings since then seem to bear out that an elevator technician died in an accident there. There was also a lawyer who committed suicide by jumping from the rooftop bar area who is known to haunt the place.

But I found no record of any second floor activity.

I have the original prints on my fridge to remind me not to instigate ghosts. Always be respectful. And every trip since, I have. Smile
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
RE: La Concha Hotel, Key West FL
Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures.... the thing that would creep me out the most was the noise both you and your husband heard, but yet your neighbours didn't.... And it being that loud, that sure would make you wonder, what was that?

"I'm extraordinarily patient provided i get my way in the end." -Margaret Thatcher
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." -Coco Chanel...

Taz
05-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Very interesting story and your experience in the middle of the night would be hard pressed to be chalked up something normal especially considering you both heard it.

Waiting to hear UNR's take on the pics. Was there something sitting next to the wardrobe? ( first pic ). I surely do not know what would cause that wall to be such vivid colors and to be that misty effect ... again.... unless it has something to do with the film.The "mist" image might be chalked up to exposure or bad film... dunno. The 3rd one I find more than odd and I get a not great feeling from it... probably my imagination.

The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind.

- Kahlil Gibran
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
You had quite a vacation. Im sure all of that noise scared the bejsesus out of both of you, and the pics, very awesome!!!!! I would have those pics on my fridge also. Its not often that you can catch things on film.

Pride and Fear always distort the truth into either a false sense of security or a lack of confidence and diminished self-worth.

Angel WIngs